Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas/heating problem

Options
  • 09-09-2008 3:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭

Our gas has taken to randomly turning itself on and off all by itself and even when we turn it to off it stays on. The only way we can control our gas is to turn off the main switch.

I was wondering if anyone else had this problem or if anyone has any idea what might be happening?? It seems to be more of an electrical problem than a boiler problem.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Maisy

I am having the following problem - this evening, the pilot light went on then went off again - there was no fault light flashing but I repressurized anyway. The pilot light came back on and ran for 10 or 15 mins and then went out again - I thought too initially it must be the electrics but the pilot light wouldn't come on at all then ?

I have a Gloworm 18si - the one with the flue that sounds like a 747 taking off :D

Anyone, anyone ? Bueller, Bueller ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Swimming Nut

I had a different problem last night - My boiler came on and the temp on the display went up to 55, but the rad stayed cold - they were open and had been used on Monday evening and worked fine; not even the pipes leading into the radiators were warm - has anyone any ideas?

Thanks!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Maisy

It could be that there is a build up of air in the system and its not now able to pick up on the room thermostat, so the rads won't kick in - but don't quote me on that lol - the best rad to bleed is the bathroom one, assuming its the towel rack type.

I rang the guy mentioned in the other heating thread - diamond geezer,:D highly recommend him. He explained simply and clearly how the whole thing works, which makes it easier to maintain, and also how to efficiently use it to heat both the rooms and the water, winter and summer.

Mine turned out to be a very small problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Swimming Nut

Thanks Maisy - I'll give it a go and if that doesn't work i'll ring the guy you mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭ryecatcher

Help! On the coldest day... my boiler is flashing F5 with a red light and not going on. According to the manual, this means it has overheated. Has anyone had this problem or have any ideas? We've left messages with a bunch of plummers (including the guy mentioned in another thread) but it's c-c-c-c-old!! Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭youknowwho

I had that problem earlier in the year with ours. It would start up and cut out after a few minutes, and then restart only to do the same after a while. It turned out to be a problem with the thermostat if i remember correctly. I just had to get a plummer out to sort it. I can't remember what it cost but it wasn't a lot, the part was the main thing which I think was about €80 but don't quote me on that

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭ryecatcher

Thanks for that - but hubbie googled problem and fixed it himself - it's just a matter of a well hidden re-set button. Glad of it too since not one of the 3 plumbers we rang ever called us back!

Advertisement