Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New bed in rental property who should pay

Options
  • 09-09-2008 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Bit of background. I have been renting a room in a house for 4 years. The house is not in great condition but the rent is cheap and my room is huge. Though there is some damage on the wall from damp which was incurred a few years back. The problem has been fixed but the damage is still there. Also the glass in thr front door is loose for a few years now. We the tenants have overlooked this as its not that bad. Again the rent is very cheap. Also I repainted the rrom when I moved into it at my own cost, it was woeful, wallpaper from the 60's or 70's (Literally)

Anyway in my room there are 2 single beds (I am the sole occuoier of the room) The beds are at least 6 1/2 years old ( that I know of), probably much more ( more like 10), They are very uncomfortable. So I asked the landlady yesterday for a new bed. I said I didn't mind it being a double or single though obviousely I would prefer double and as the room is so big it would fit better. Anyway they suggested I could "bring the bed with me" i.e pay for it and it would be mine. I thought this was a bit strange and said this was not the angle I would be coming from and that I was thinking they might pay for the bed. They are "thinking about it". They live next door and make tend to butt in a lot including letting themselves in without warning. Telling me what I can keep in my front windowsill (if its untidy it makes a bad impression) and where I can park (though its public onstreet parking)

Anyway any thoughts on who should pay for the bed?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

They should replace the bed no question.
    Sure they are going to able to write off against tax. Now if you were asking for huge TV or something there would be no chance but you can't let a furnished gaff with a terrible bed.
    Demand one.
    They live next door and make tend to butt in a lot including letting themselves in without warning.

Tell them if catch them doing that again you'll be calling the gardai. Sure what if its someone you don't know but from their family., you'd have to assume they are robbing the place.

And if they complain about parking ask to see the deeds to their house which shows the piece of public road they own. They won't
    Sounds headwrecking, even if the rent is cheap. Have you been looking elsewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Considering the amount of time you've been living there surely they should provide you with a new bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

Typical Irish landlord attitude.
    Its your home, you pay to live there. They are not your 'lord' or superior. You park where you like and keep whatever you want in your front window.

I get so angry thinking about these sorts of people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Also the glass in thr front door is loose for a few years now. We the tenants have overlooked this as its not that bad. ?

We had the same problem in our place.
    The landlord didn't bother fixing it and then the glass got smashed in and the house was robbed.

Ask to get that fixed too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭bangersandmash

They live next door and make tend to butt in a lot including letting themselves in without warning. Telling me what I can keep in my front windowsill (if its untidy it makes a bad impression) and where I can park (though its public onstreet parking)
    This is completely unacceptable. Whatever about the furniture, entering your home without your permission is completely over-stepping the mark. You should inform them that they're legally not allowed to do this. Perhaps they're unaware of that fact, but ignorance is no excuse when they're meant to be providing a professional service. Many landlords seem to be completely oblivious to their responsibilities.

See here for more info:
    You do not have the right to enter your tenants’ home without permission.
    You must
    * make sure that the property meets certain minimum standards.
    * repair and maintain the interior of the property to the standard it was in at the start of the tenancy.
    * repair and maintain the structure of the property.
    * reimburse tenants for any repairs they carry out which are your responsibility.

• Advertisement
Advertisement