Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burnt parquet

Options
  • 09-09-2008 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭

A tenant put a plastic bucket of hot ash onto parquet floor and of course it burned right through the bucket and onto the floor.
    How much would it cost to fix? Anyone in Galway? I'm still waiting to hear back from woodflooring.ie
    Enclosed some snaps.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

looks harmless enough

i run a flooring company in castlebar

pm me and i'll ring you tomorrow and give you some pointers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

Pedantry first:it's just a wooden floor; parquet means it has interweaving patterns. Off the top of my head, judging by the quality of the wood and needing two new pieces and someone to put them in, I'd say 50-80 euros all in.

latenia wrote: »
    Pedantry first:it's just a wooden floor; parquet means it has interweaving patterns. Off the top of my head, judging by the quality of the wood and needing two new pieces and someone to put them in, I'd say 50-80 euros all in.

acually you are wrong

parquet wood block flooring is the type that can be put in patterns or in straight staggered lines

thats a 14mm three strip semi-solid oak parquet and it's burnt and he dosen't nedd to be corrected

heer is a link to the exact same floor ion a website that i have nothing to do with

http://www.wholesalefloors.ie/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=85

as i said before if you want a few pointers bilko pm me and i'll ring you

it needs one strip of timber not a box the main cost would be if you had to pay someone to do it

• Registered Users Posts: 78,443 ✭✭✭✭Victor

What about sanding and revarnishing - or is it too far gone?

Moved from Accommodation & Property.

• Advertisement

Victor wrote: »
    What about sanding and revarnishing - or is it too far gone?

there is only a 3mm wear layer (amount of acuall oak ) on that floor

not feesaible to sand it out if the burn is deep (looks deep)

a replace ment board would cost €10 biko can have one for p&p if he wants from me
    the cost would be if you had to get a chippy in but its easy enough if he's handy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Tigger I can see how it is possible to remove the existing boards, but how would you install the replacement boards?

I assume the T&g would be damaged in removal, so what holds the new boards in place? Biscuit maybe.

I've a few boards I could replace in a semi -solid oak floor.
    (friend in steel high heels.... heart breaking on brand new floor - still thats life!)

Can you post your Pointers?

RKQ wrote: »
    Tigger I can see how it is possible to remove the existing boards, but how would you install the replacement boards?

I assume the T&g would be damaged in removal, so what holds the new boards in place? Biscuit maybe.

yes biscuit preferably fig rolls as they are made by aliens

I've a few boards I could replace in a semi -solid oak floor.
    (friend in steel high heels.... heart breaking on brand new floor - still thats life!)

Can you post your Pointers?

its not easy and the pointers would have been the name and number of a fitter in galway that would be able to do the work

basically to renove the board you cut a cross in to it and pull it out
    this should not break the ramaining t+g then its a matter of levering the new board in

the bottom of the new board's groove will need removing and lots of glue will be needed
    its not perfect but in a couple of years (once the oak has aged) it'll be indistinguishable

for heel marks i would adise not worrying about it

adds charachter

Years ago, doing a shop refit, the electricians fail to remove all the old wiring system asnd there was a single wire coming up from the middle of the floor. The flooring guy thought it was a new wire and left a gap in the floor. It did eventually get fixed after a lot of "WTF?" from everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Thanks Tigger and all, I'll get a guy to look at it in the week as I don't want to do it myself in case I f**k it up even worse. The guy that did the damage is paying so I might as well get it done properly :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement