Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mooney's money

• 09-09-2008 4:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭

Derek on radio today with his favorite theme, money. He said he was "broke" and could'nt attend a wedding he was invited to abroad. Then he was asking how much does it cost in electricity to boil a kettle and have a shower. A guest on show told him about her wedding and first thing Derek says is "you must be loaded to have your wedding there". When questioned about his long holidays he says I was'nt actually on holiday I was filming for tv, so earning even more money! The guy wants to be loved by housewives and old people as that nice lad on radio who is'nt interested in money but he's actually obsessed by it!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I'm conflicted about mooney. I hate - HATE - the way he prattles on over guests, as if his opinion is the most interesting part of the show. But, for what the show is, and who it is supposed to speak to, I have to concede that he's doing well, he holds the show together well and the compensation for his ego is that he occasionally asks guests uncomfortable questions that they probably didn't expect.

My record for listening without switching off is about 15 mins, usually the trigger is when he asks one of his team a question and then starts talking over them when they try to respond.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Re Mooney's money, I'd love to know what profit they make on it? would I be entitled to know that answer under some right to know law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

It is not Mooney's money -- it is our money, our licence money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Greenman wrote: »
    Re Mooney's money, I'd love to know what profit they make on it? would I be entitled to know that answer under some right to know law.
    Maybe under freedom of information act. Or just contact them and ask and threaten to go FOI route if they won't tell ya. Giving a grand away is nothing when they get multi thousands of entries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

I think the OP is referring to the rather parsimonious attitude of Mooney himself,rather than the 1k they give away.

To listen to him one would think he hadn't a red cent,yet he is one of the top earners in RTE.

I haven't really decided if that is a good thing or a bad thing,but it is a fact.

He doesn't come across as a ligger like most of the others except Kenny,but tight with the dosh is my best description,and that's his own business.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

The most obvious thing is DK would not be on a low wage by any stretch of the imagination.

I've seen him once or twice near where I work and certainly he doesn't seem to be flash with money judging by the quite old Audi A4 he was driving (nothing out of the ordinary if you get me) but I think acting the pauper on air is a bit ridiculous when even the dogs on the street know some of RTEs TV people are very overpaid. Not saying Derek is overpaid but I doubt he finds it tough paying the bills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭aarymark

recently dropped my radio in work and killed the fm on it which left me with just the lw so i had to listen to radio 1 and i have too say the mooney programe in made up of the most innane ****e you could ever listen too so im off to buy a new radio suffer no more the over acting of derek breda and the gang

You obviously don't listen to Newstalk between 0900-1200.

Even Deke and foghorn Brenda are semi highbrow compared to that.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

He does babble about the cost of everything. I think it has more to do with bringing the average Joeschmo's wallet into being on the programme rather than him judging the price of everything against the bulge of his own wodge. Makes him more of the common man reflecting the opinions of the common man.
    This is very, very good when he has someone on explaining the benifits of green building materials and standards. Expert-"It'll save the enviroment". Mooney- "Stuff the enviroment if it costs that much". Far better than alienating himself from his listening public.
    I like his show a lot in small doses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 johnjones

By rights, the M.M. is illegal. When cash must be paid to enter a"competition" the answer to the question may not be given out until a winner has been picked,out of a hat, a tombola or otherwise.So if you are really bored on a wet afternoon...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

Why is Mary McAlese always on the show? Anyone else find her very hard to listen to?

No.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

Why is Mary McAlese always on the show? Anyone else find her very hard to listen to?

Any Nordy bint is kinda hard on the luggs - this one no exception...

Right on and as for Dana I switch directly away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

The best thing RTE did with his show was to lop 1/2 an hour off to make way for Mary Wilson.

I haven't heard Mooney in the afternoon in quite some time but it seems to me that trying to stretch out his old Saturday show Mooney Goes Wild over 5 days was choking the golden goose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Perhaps Derek should take financial advice from ex Junior Minister John Browne, who said on Southeast Radio yesterday, that his €53,000 payoff was, "no big deal". This from someone who, reportedly, earns only half what Mooney does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

Whatever about mooney's personal wedge, a friend who works in RTE has told me that they make an ABSOLUTE FORTUNE from the "Mooney's Money" texts

Wouldn't surprise in the slightest, the country is full of idiots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

giftgrub wrote: »
    Whatever about mooney's personal wedge, a friend who works in RTE has told me that they make an ABSOLUTE FORTUNE from the "Mooney's Money" texts

Of course they do.

Look at the last JNLR with Mooney showing a rise in figures up to approx 190,000 listeners on a daily basis, now if just 10% of them send a text to win just €1,000 then they generate €19,000 (€1 cost per text) makes the prize money only a small fraction of the revenue (5% approx) so the show profits to the tune of €18,000 daily, 5 days a week, €90,000 per week profit, yet only €5,000 given away...not a bad little earner they got going there!!!

holy shi-

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

Big Tone wrote: »
    Of course they do.

Look at the last JNLR with Mooney showing a rise in figures up to approx 190,000 listeners on a daily basis, now if just 10% of them send a text to win just €1,000 then they generate €19,000 (€1 cost per text) makes the prize money only a small fraction of the revenue (5% approx) so the show profits to the tune of €18,000 daily, 5 days a week, €90,000 per week profit, yet only €5,000 given away...not a bad little earner they got going there!!!

While I don't doubt that RTE makes a fortune from the Mooney's Money competition, I doubt it's as much as you've estimated, I'd be surprised if as much as 10% of the show's listeners text in every single day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Some days MM can be intresting .Like the interview he did with one of the miami showband Survivors and the man who was shot by a british soldier . Both men talked of their forgivness for the people who inflicted the injurys upon them and The latter also met the soldier face to face who asked for forgivness .He said with some humor '' at least i had the luxury of being shot by an officer '' .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

latchyco wrote: »
    Some days MM can be intresting .Like the interview he did with one of the miami showband Survivors and the man who was shot by a british soldier . Both men talked of their forgivness for the people who inflicted the injurys upon them and The latter also met the soldier face to face who asked for forgivness .He said with some humor '' at least i had the luxury of being shot by an officer '' .

Stephen Travers was the Miami survivor, its amazing to hear him speak aout the attack and his forgiveness for the perpetrators.

Over all I like Mooneys show, some days it's better than others but that's true of all Talk Radio depending on the listeners interest in the topic being discussed.

Big Tone wrote: »
    now if just 10% of them send a text

But it is more probable to be closer to less than 1% that would text in.

humberklog wrote: »
    But it is more probable to be closer to less than 1% that would text in.

How did you come to that conclusion? 1% would still cover the €1000 prize money and leave a nice profit to boot.

The Muppet wrote: »
    Over all I like Mooneys show, some days it's better than others but that's true of all Talk Radio depending on the listeners interest in the topic being discussed.

With the exception of Ryan which has three levels, rubbish, more rubbish, utter rubbish.
    Mooney can be quite entertaining but he has some annoying habits, one of which, and he did it several times today, is to completely change the subject while a guest is answering a question. I don't know whether this is a short attention span or just bad manners but I often shout out loud "Let him (her) answer FFS".

bmaxi wrote: »
    With the exception of Ryan which has three levels, rubbish, more rubbish, utter rubbish.
    Mooney can be quite entertaining but he has some annoying habits, one of which, and he did it several times today, is to completely change the subject while a guest is answering a question. I don't know whether this is a short attention span or just bad manners but I often shout out loud "Let him (her) answer FFS".
    Funny enough he is not the only one on rte radio guilty of that .Joe duffy does it to and the other Derek who fills in for him ,jeeze that man , how many times will he cut across somebody and put words in their mouth ? Perhaps it's some sort of rte afliction ? :)

Johnathan Ross on his show is also guilty of it but that's part of his success in that he allows the celeb to talk while winding them up .But in doing so probably gets more questions answered and more info revealed ,quicker than any other interviewer

latchyco wrote: »
    Funny enough he is not the only one on rte radio guilty of that .Joe duffy does it to and the other Derek who fills in for him ,jeeze that man , how many times will he cut across somebody and put words in their mouth ? Perhaps it's some sort of rte afliction ? :)

Johnathan Ross on his show is also guilty of it but that's part of his success in that he allows the celeb to talk while winding them up .But in doing so probably gets more questions answered and more info revealed ,quicker than any other interviewer

That's not quite what I mean. Mooney will change the topic completely. e.g. Guest is answering question on the economy and half way through Derek will ask a question on, say, football, off in a completely different direction.

yeah - or he'll butt into a newsreader or traffic announcer with some inane drivel and completely fcuk up their flow.

Derek, Darling, a little tip - just because a thought forms in your head, doesn't mean we want to hear it. It's just rude.

• Advertisement

That's not quite what I mean. Mooney will change the topic completely. e.g. Guest is answering question on the economy and half way through Derek will ask a question on, say, football, off in a completely different direction.
    That's what i ment .I have heard Derek Davis (one who fill in for joe duffy ) cut across somebody on a serious topic with for instance '' i have a nice pot plant here btw '' and cut of the flow of the person phoning in , as if it's something funny .

How did you come to that conclusion? 1% would still cover the €1000 prize money and leave a nice profit to boot.
    Anecdotally. I know over a hundred people that listen to Mooney's show and not one has ever texted in. Also those figures for listenership aren't solely taking into consideration people that gather around their wireless diligently every day and tune in from 3 to 4.30. The numbers and listenership vary.
    I've no doubt the quiz is a nice little earner but not on the figures given by Big Tone.

Anecdotally. I know over a hundred people that listen to Mooney's show and not one has ever texted in. Also those figures for listenership aren't solely taking into consideration people that gather around their wireless diligently every day and tune in from 3 to 4.30. The numbers and listenership vary.
    I've no doubt the quiz is a nice little earner but not on the figures given by Big Tone.

I'm not sure Big Tone gave any exact figures, he was just indicatings
    that there was a probabilty that Mooneys quiz actually turned over a profit , Thats how I read it.

I'm sure someone can give stats for what percentage of an audience actally text. I know that they estimate 1% of an audience will phone a radio show, I would imagine that text percentage would be higher particulaly for a competition but I don't have any proof of that.

I'm not sure Big Tone gave any exact figures, he was just indicatings
    that there was a probabilty that Mooneys quiz actually turned over a profit , Thats how I read it.

I'm sure someone can give stats for what percentage of an audience actally text. I know that they estimate 1%

On post #20 Big Tone gives a guesstimate on the numbers that would text in and then BT sharpens his actuary's pen and crunches a few figures together to estimate the sponds generated.
    I just think the original number (%of audience) is way off the mark. I'd guesstimate that 1% is off the mark also.
    Another factor not taken into consideration is the competition organisers wodge.
    I'm gonna text in tommorrow to see if I get a reply.

tbh wrote: »
    yeah - or he'll butt into a newsreader or traffic announcer with some inane drivel and completely fcuk up their flow.

Derek, Darling, a little tip - just because a thought forms in your head, doesn't mean we want to hear it. It's just rude.

Thats Derek, I suppose if you don't like it you can tune off, I only retune on friday when The President of an Taisce is on, I always check and then move to NPR.

I like Derek but hated the Wildlife show.

I'm gonna text in tommorrow to see if I get a reply.

Did you win?:)

• Advertisement

Did you win?:)

I didn't go for quiz. Not a chance. Texted into a contact in RTE to see if he could have a sniff about.

I didn't go for quiz. Not a chance. Texted into a contact in RTE to see if he could have a sniff about.

Does he not like his job?

Does he not like his job?
    It turns out he does. He wouldn't go sniffing. I'll have to go a different route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 136 ✭✭MRJ

Thats Derek, I suppose if you don't like it you can tune off, I only retune on friday when The President of an Taisce is on, I always check and then move to NPR.

I like Derek but hated the Wildlife show.
    I do the opposite, listen all week then tune out on a friday when i hear her coming on she'd give an aspirin a headache.

MRJ wrote: »
    I do the opposite, listen all week then tune out on a friday when i hear her coming on she'd give an aspirin a headache.

I do what you do. God she's dreadful like Marion,Aine and that Canadian one.

• Advertisement

I got impression the show was prerecorded today and I suppose prerecording Mooney's money wasn't an option.

I got impression the show was prerecorded today and I suppose prerecording Mooney's money wasn't an option.
    Well spotted Greenman. I thought that too and guess what...there was no Mooney's Money today.
    I enjoyed it today and listened all the way through. I like the music encyclopedia guy that he has on regularly.

I listen every day if possible except friday when the woman with that dreadful accent is on. Like the social welfare guy and the rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭bossdrum

I listen every day if possible except friday when the woman with that dreadful accent is on. Like the social welfare guy and the rest.

The social welfare guy is real farce. Some one i know who was working for the citizens advice was asked to ring with a specific question for this so called expert.

Don't like the female voice doing Mooney's money? who is it? What was wrong with the old voice?:mad::mad::mad:

Rant over.

If I am correct the "old voice " was Sinead or Siobhan something,I would venture to suggest the new one is Beth Ann Guilfoyle late of the show that Olin McGowan used to present.

Bit Brummie for me .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Old lad in work insists on listening to this while in the canteen for the 4.00 tae n bickies.

One day our Derek goes on a bit of a rant about how "he could not understand how anyone smokes, how do they put those durty things in their mouths"

Me man, an old fella, sitting their rolling a fag at the time calmly turns to the radio and says "I cant understand how anyone would <sniiiiip>" then lights fag and heads outside :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Don't like the female voice doing Mooney's money? who is it?

I don't know.
    I'm not sure what you mean by the voice, but I actually like the girls accent.
    Derek has commented on her accent on several occasions, but I cannot remember her name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Survivin' Ivan

Sinead Renshaw is from Manchester I think he said.

Advertisement