Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing to upto 7MB, will my line take it?

Options
  • 09-09-2008 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

What do you think lads?

Will she hold much more? i know what Kitz's website says and it's not been far of todate but realistically?

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
    Connection Speed 3072 kbps 384 kbps
    Line Attenuation 47.0 db 28.0 db
    Noise Margin 13.00 db 12.0 db

Are voda the only dsl 4mb supplier btw? was thinking of going to the outer limits with eircoms 7.6 and see what i get, pings have gone up on avarage about 10ms , now in the mid 20's on pppoE but can drop a little when connected via pppoATM?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Have you even read any of this forum.. seriously !

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭johnplayerblue

Manties wrote: »
    Have you even read any of this forum.. seriously !

I have read them on more than one occasion! "Like seriously !"
    Please don't answer a question with a question that has nothing to do with orignal post.

"Like seriously !" tis very rude, if you have nothing to say well then say nothing and ill still think your important or something.....!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

If you are on 3mb dsl already then doesnt that mean you are already at the max? (open to correction here).
    I have a "3mb" line that connects at 4mb since the upgrade which I assume is the max my line can take, considering I live in the middle of nowhere thats a pretty fair assumption!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Bros123

I have read them on more than one occasion! "Like seriously !"
    Please don't answer a question with a question that has nothing to do with orignal post.

"Like seriously !" tis very rude, if you have nothing to say well then say nothing and ill still think your important or something.....!

That I'm afraid is the nature of Boards.Seriously.

Supercell wrote: »
    If you are on 3mb dsl already then doesnt that mean you are already at the max? (open to correction here).
    I have a "3mb" line that connects at 4mb since the upgrade which I assume is the max my line can take, considering I live in the middle of nowhere thats a pretty fair assumption!

There are many, many factors that come into play with dsl, the max is what your line can handle before giving problems let it be ADSL1 or ADSL2 /2+ and with adsl it all boils down to distance and S/N margins i.e. dB readings would be the two main issues. (open to correction)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

There are many, many factors that come into play with dsl, the max is what your line can handle before giving problems let it be ADSL1 or ADSL2 /2+ and with adsl it all boils down to distance and S/N margins i.e. dB readings would be the two main issues. (open to correction)

As in my original post, if you had bothered to read some of the info here you would have yoru own answer. But to answer yoru question, depending on the distance from yoru exchange you should be grand up to about 5mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭boopolo

John

It is a bit irratating when you start a thread with: 'What do you think lads' and then go on to write a post that takes ages to decipher.

The headings of new threads should contain some information like 'will my connection with vod...' or something like that.

Then you write it like you presume that everybody knows all about your circunstances.

Boo

Manties wrote: »
    As in my original post, if you had bothered to read some of the info here you would have yoru own answer. But to answer yoru question, depending on the distance from yoru exchange you should be grand up to about 5mb.

Ok, thanks, thats what i was thinking/hopeing. My reason for asking a question thats been asked more that any other since the upgrades is about speed and line stats and given that it is dsl the results for two people with the same circumstances can vary quiet a bit and i was trying to get an even more general feel.

I've called eircom and ordered 7.6 so ill have my real answer in 24hrs or so. Fingers crossed things don't go tits up.

ps. does it take the full 24hrs or will in drop in sooner?

boopolo wrote: »
    John

It is a bit irratating when you start a thread with: 'What do you think lads' and then go on to write a post that takes ages to decipher.

The headings of new threads should contain some information like 'will my connection with vod...' or something like that.

Then you write it like you presume that everybody knows all about your circunstances.

Boo

Sorry guy, not here to irritate you but tis just the way i am :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

did you check to see if your exchange is enabled for the BT 24mbps service?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,288 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

vibe666 wrote: »
    did you check to see if your exchange is enabled for the BT 24mbps service?

Won't make any difference, his attenuation is far too high to even hit the limits of 7.6 meg, let alone the 24 meg package.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Ok two things:
    johnplayerblue in future if your posting a thread use a suitable thread title as advised by the forum charter

Secondly your question can easily be answered by the search function

Spear wrote: »
    Won't make any difference, his attenuation is far too high to even hit the limits of 7.6 meg, let alone the 24 meg package.

321587997.png

I couldn't be more happy lads, this is out of 7.6megs, it can drop a little but i haven't had any disconnects.

The S/N Margin doesn't leave much room for error i know but it seems to be pretty solid.

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 6688 672
    SN Margin (dB) 7.00 11.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 47.50 27.00
    CRC Errors 108 1

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,288 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I couldn't be more happy lads, this is out of 7.6megs, it can drop a little but i haven't had any disconnects.

The S/N Margin doesn't leave much room for error i know but it seems to be pretty solid.

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 6688 672
    SN Margin (dB) 7.00 11.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 47.50 27.00
    CRC Errors 108 1

You're on ADSL2+ now, so it's more tolerant of longer lines. Your SNR margin is poor though, you want that to be above 10dB. I suspect you'll see some periodic stability issues though.

Cabaal wrote: »
    Ok two things:
    johnplayerblue in future if your posting a thread use a suitable thread title as advised by the forum charter

Secondly your question can easily be answered by the search function

My appolagises for that lads, i have goten carried away with myself over the last week posting stats and asking the same question but i just can't belive it, i'm telling anybody that will listen to me. It's been a long time coming and now i have it i still can't belive it.

Would you belive i've only downloaded a few hundred megs and spent 99% of my time watching my stats, pings and trying various ways to get a few more dB's, starting to think i should get out a little more.

Spear wrote: »
    You're on ADSL2+ now, so it's more tolerant of longer lines. Your SNR margin is poor though, you want that to be above 10dB. I suspect you'll see some periodic stability issues though.

Ye im trying to get it up to at least 10dB, have a speedtouch and two other modems on the way that come recommended and that have proven an extra 2/3 dB's also trying a new face plate with built in filter and one or two other things so fingers crossed i don't fix it to the point of breaking it.

Advertisement