Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fuel Merchants In Kildare?

Options
  • 09-09-2008 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭

So as per my previous post I am still looking to buy some turf. I finally called Bord na Mona and they told me the nearest fuel merchant who sells turf is in Tipperary!

Needless to say he doesn't deliver to Kildare.

I then decided to just get some coal. I went through every listing under Coal Merchant in the Golden Pages. Here are the results:

Half of them no longer sell anything but oil.

The other half are either retired, out of business, or do not deliver anything less than 10 x 40kg bags.

So here I am, in Leixlip, and there is not one fuel merchant for miles that sells turf OR coal OR firewood and the only ones who do sell coal want you to buy enough for a few years else they won't deliver.

I guess there really is a market here for fuels considering.

Anyone out there know where someone in Leixlip can pick up a single 40kg bag of coal or find some turf or off cuts that don't require a full day of driving?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1m1tless

As far as i Know you can get coal etc at esso service station in maynooth. Used to get it there last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

I found that the Maxol in Leixlip sells 20kg bags of coal for 9.99. I bought a few. Still, it amazes me that there are no fuel distributors who deliver in the area, and I'm even more amazed that there is no turf available around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

There used to be, i remember a friends family having coal delivered a few years back. Also a guy across the road used to get a big delivery of turf every year before winter.. no idea where he ordered it from though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

I rang B & L Fuels, Leixlip. They haven't sold Coal for five years. He told me a place called Walshes on the Celbridge Road (Near Weston Aerodrome) do coal, but he doesn't know if they deliver. Googled them but could only find this place

Coal Merchants Mahon Paul Newtown Ardclough rd Celbridge Kildare (01)6288244

Worth a try i suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

There is a coal merchant/fuel merchant on the maynooth rd in Celbridge , just
    opp the vets about 300 m after the turn from the village

Cant remember the name .

They deliver for sure because I always see them around in their lorry

Just remembered their name Pouch ... cant find them in the book though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Buffman

Ye, Pouch's is the only fuel merchant around Celbridge I think, and she does deliver.Was glad of them the last time the oil ran out!:)

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Darby OGill

Celbridge and Leixlip are both in the "smokeless fuel" area, so that may explain the lack of suppliers of turf etc. In any case, there is very little turf for sale now, as Bord na Mona bogs have dwindled and they keep just enough for a couple of ESB power plants I think. In my area, anyone using turf buys a plot privately and harvests it themselves. Some of these bogs will be forced out of business soon due to EU conservation directives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

Go into a local pub & ask. And by local, I mean a real pub that sells guinness to 50% of its customers, doesn't do cocktails and has men with caps sitting up at the bar in the seats they've been sitting on for years.

They're an absolute gem for info such as this.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 14 howisitgoing

ring Bord na mona again on 1850 744 755 they will give u a nearer suppiler

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 hammerstep

I have been pondering the same question but for logs
    however i know where you can buy 1 1/4 ton load of turf
    form bog of allen for 140 <snip>
    anyone know where i can buy bags of wood?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement