Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

A woman failed her driving test for accidentally splashing a pedestrian

• 09-09-2008 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭

Be careful out there with the rain, same applies here afaik.................

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/itn/20080909/tuk-l-driver-fails-test-for-splashing-pe-dba1618.html

A woman failed her driving test for accidentally splashing a pedestrian who was standing near a puddle as she drove past.

It's been a wet few weeks but the examiner still didn't believe Michelle Kelly when she said she had splashed the pedestrian by accident.

Remarkably, the 31-year-old said the examiner was adamant the incident was technically a crash, and that she should have stopped and exchanged details with the man who was waiting at a bus stop in Blackley, Manchester.

The Highway Code does not forbid the splashing of pedestrians but Rule 144 states that you must not 'drive without reasonable consideration for other road users'.

Rule 147 says that drivers must 'be careful of and considerate towards all types of road users'.

Miss Kelly carried on driving when she splashed the man halfway through her third attempt at passing.

She said: "It wasn't as though I'd deluged this pedestrian. And if I'd swerved to avoid the puddle I might have caused an accident."

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

That's in the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,030 ✭✭✭✭Stark

She should have slowed down going through the puddle. Besides, I wouldn't be sure if she failed outright for this. It could have been just one of a number of faults that contributed to her failure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Devia

Whats mad about it? Puddles are hazards are they not? She was obviously driving too fast through it to begin with. You don't splash pedestrians if you notice a puddle and slow down accordingly. There could have been a pothole or something under the water aswell which may have caused something a lot worse than a wet pedestrian.

If it was the sole reason for her failure then maybe it was a little harsh but I can't see any mention of that in the article. Id love to hear the tester's side because her story sounds very like chipped shoulder syndrome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

proper order

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,626 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

With the weather we've been having lately it'd be pretty hard to avoid all the puddles! I wouldn't class it as an accident though.. "I won't be into work this week, I have puddlesplash whiplash.."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

When I was doing the tests in the various categories, it was always my understanding that splashing a pedestrian could cause one to fail a test. Whatever about a car, it can be very difficult to avoid splashing a pedestrian in larger and wider vehicles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

LOL what? madness. Pure madness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,030 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Remembering back to my college days, there was a place where unless I was careful and picked my moments, I and many other unhappy campers would be soaked by ignorant drivers driving too fast through a patch of standing water. I'm damn glad they're marking people down for doing this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭SeanW

+1

I agree with the testers decision: speeding into puddles as to cause a splashing is careless. Splashing a pedestrian is just thoughtless at best, arrogant, aggressive and selfish at worst.

As they might say in England "proper order too." Unless this lady clearly recognises her mistake or at least some fault of her own, IMO she should never get a driving license, because I REALLY don't want people like that on the road with that kind of attitude when I'm walking around a town or city.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,626 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I don't know whether that woman splashed someone on purpose but I don't think this is accidental. Boo. :mad:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8hV8yOypN0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

It's a blatant display of not knowing how to control the car IMO. You should be able to judge your speed accordingly in wet conditions, splashing a pedestrian may be funny, but it'd be no laughing matter if you soaked the electrics of the car on your test! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

I remember hearing that there is something in Irish traffic laws for this same situation. For the life of me I cant remember what it is or where it is but I do remember being told that a driver was fined €500 for splashing a pedistrian. Fairly sure the splashing was done delibrately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,521 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Proper order.

Either lack of observation to not see puddle or lack of control to avoid it or going to fast(for the conditions).

I was under the impression if you soak a pedestrian like that they can report you for dangerous driving? May not be true but I've heard it a few times

Advertisement