Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confess: what religious art, etc, do you like?

Options
  • 09-09-2008 5:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

hey folks,

Do any of ye heathens have an ironic love of religious art?

I ask because I have my own confession... I love gospel music :(

My brother used to have a girlfriend who was in the Dublin Gospel Choir, so I went along with him most weeks to hear them sing in the church on, I believe, church street! I also saw a couple of their 'proper' gigs.

My mp3 player used to be full of Kirk Franklin (?) songs, and I know the words to most of them :)

Dawkins has said that he finds the King James Bible to be a beautiful piece of literature. What ye think?

Any other confessions? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

I'm not too much of an art buff. While I like the paintings of the renaissance, many of which have religious themes, I do not like them because they are religious but because they are beautiful, so that doesn't really count. I don't like gospel music.

I like statues of Buddha and I like images of the Hindu gods.

Finally, I love the portrait of the FSM.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Wouldn't be mad on religious art in general, but I'd quite like a dirty big Caravaggio to hang above my fireplace!

I was blown away years ago when I saw this in the flesh in Dublin.

takingofchrist_1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

I was in the National Gallery only a few days ago and was quite shocked to see this hanging on the wall. Who would have thunk there was a genuine masterpiece just a bus journey away?

The answer is 'not me', btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Goduznt Xzst

not really a fan of art tbh, but from an engineering point of view St. Peters Basilica is technically amazing. I'd be more interested in religious architecture myself, primarily for the reason that it usually consists of more form than function, something that is lost, for the most part, on a lot of modern, secular, architecture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Well I wouldn't call it a confession, as I see religious art sans the religious part.

Gregorian chanting does it for me, in a big way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭sdep

I was in the National Gallery only a few days ago and was quite shocked to see this hanging on the wall. Who would have thunk there was a genuine masterpiece just a bus journey away?

Off topic, there's another in the room facing, too:

th_vermeer_lettera.jpg

Back on track, I'll go for choral music from the earliest polyphonic music by Perotin and others around the 12th-13th centuries, through the likes of Palestrina (say, the Pope Marcellus Mass), Thomas Tallis (his motet Spem in Alium), Monteverdi (the Vespers), Bach (the St. Matthew Passion) and Mozart (his requiem, at least up to the point where he left off). Music scholars point out themes from religious works 'quoted' in purely instrumental music by these and other composers, too, indicating that even their seemingly secular music may be religiously inspired.

To me, it does feel odd listening to music based on religious texts. I suppose I'm not hearing the music in the same way as religious listeners, and indeed not as the composers intended, but I still find the music too good to pass up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Gothic Chorals, esp Havergal Brian 'The Gothic' - massive wall of sound

Gregorian chants and icons (from meditating in school chapel)

Big Architecture - used to have the run of the abbey where my gran used to do her work - roofs, crypts, vaults... paradise for a kid exploring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Funny enough I mentioned liking gospel music in a thread on the Chritianity forum today (where is PDN when we have a religios co-incidence! ;) )

I love "proper" african-american gospel music (Dave if you have any names I'd love to hear them, it's hard to search for it without getting bogged down in tripe syrupy warbly hymns). There is a great song called "Long as I got King Jesus" by someone called Vickie Winnans which I find myself humming every now and again! I've also got some bits and pieces from the Mississipi Mass Choir and someone called Carlton Pearson. And of course the Dublin Gospel Choir from teh "Even better than the real thing" CD. The Housemartins (back in the 80s) also did a lot of "garage gospel" which is great.

I also like a huge amount of the religious art from the Renaissance.

At the risk of sounding like an art ponce I enjoy art (music / painting / literature) that has some kind of passion and feeling to it. The source of that emotion doesn't really matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

The answer is 'not me', btw.

A genuine masterpiece? You mean hundreds don't you? And I hope you popped into the modern Irish artists section...But I digress. Firstly is it ironic for agnostics to enjoy religious art? Secondly, this klimt is biblical, but also quite secular. I <3 klimt!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/92/Gustav_Klimt_039.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Crikey, where to start? Church architecture - mosque architecture - the Blue Mosque in Istanbul - mandalas - monasteries - statuary - festivals - gospel music - hymns - passion plays - Gregorian chants - there's not much religious work I don't like. As to the King James' Bible - I love it, and have a real weakness for declaiming it.

I wouldn't even say it's ironic.

treacherously,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

A genuine masterpiece? You mean hundreds don't you? And I hope you popped into the modern Irish artists section...But I digress. Firstly is it ironic for agnostics to enjoy religious art? Secondly, this klimt is biblical, but also quite secular. I <3 klimt!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/92/Gustav_Klimt_039.jpg

Being a bit of a philistine when it comes to Art, if I recognise it, it's a masterpiece.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I really like that picture of hell, you know the one where the big birdie thing is eating the lad in the left hand corner.
    So crazy.

Galvasean wrote: »
    I really like that picture of hell, you know the one where the big birdie thing is eating the lad in the left hand corner.
    So crazy.

Hieronymus Bosch. Mad as a cat in a tumbledryer, and a hell of a painter. That's the right-hand triptych panel of The Garden of Earthly Delights. The big birdie thing is Satan.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Scofflaw wrote: »
    As to the King James' Bible - I love it, and have a real weakness for declaiming it.

Thing about the King James' is that it was hugely influential on the English language too.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone in this world that doesn't love some religious art considering how frequent a subject it is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I love the Russian Orthodox icons. They are brilliantly done.

Book of Kells, another fine piece of religious art.

What I really like are the Hindu paintings of the various Gods. Some of them are simply amazing, like this one of Vishnu.
    275px-MahaVishnu.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Hieronymus Bosch, church architecture, monastic life, mandalas, Gregorian chants, early christian literature, in particular, Gnostic.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Obni

First movement of Gorecki's Symphony of Sorrowful Songs - Mary's lament at the foot of the cross. Even a stone-hearted old atheist can't help but be moved.

Asiaprod wrote: »
    Hieronymus Bosch, church architecture, monastic life, mandalas, Gregorian chants, early christian literature, in particular, Gnostic.

Your taste is exquisite...

appreciatively,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Mena wrote: »
    Well I wouldn't call it a confession, as I see religious art sans the religious part.

well I think its more to do with accepting that, regarding art, religion does a lot of good. Without religion I don't know who would of paid all the artists of the Renaissance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭sdep

L31mr0d wrote: »
    well I think its more to do with accepting that, regarding art, religion does a lot of good. Without religion I don't know who would of paid all the artists of the Renaissance.

Whoever had money would have paid, and indeed did. The patrons included the popes and the elite of the Italian states - aristocrats and wealthy merchants like the Medici - all eager to impress and outdo each other as they jostled for power. Going forward from the Renaissance, you see the role of religion lessening over time, and individuals, corporations and states becoming the chief patrons of the arts.

The Renaissance is seen as a humanist awakening, with artists exploring new ideas and reviving and reinterpreting the classical past. However, secular patrons still built churches and monasteries, moved by the dictates of society and their own religious hopes and fears. Even here, though, artists often used religious imagery as a shorthand for expressing other ideas, rather as we use classical myths as metaphor. Michelangelo's David - a Biblical figure - is seen as upholding the republican tradition of Florence against the Goliaths of princely tyranny.

While religion has inspired and bankrolled much of Western art, it's been an uneasy relationship. For example, some religious forces opposed what they saw as the decadence of the Renaissance. The austere Dominican Savonarola, who briefly led the Florentine state, organised a 'Bonfire of the Vanities' in which he burned luxuries and artworks, including many by Botticelli, that he considered immoral.

There's a good downloadable Radio 4 series on the Medici and the Renaissance here that goes into a lot more detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Er...who cares if it's religious - great art is great art.

Bach - St. Matthew Passion, St. John Passion, B Minor Mass
    Mozart - Requiem
    Janacek - Glagolithic Mass
    Pärt - St. John Passion
    Beethoven - Mass in C minor, Missa Solemnis
    Messiaen - Quartet for the End of Time

etc., etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Soul Winner

Dades wrote: »
    Wouldn't be mad on religious art in general, but I'd quite like a dirty big Caravaggio to hang above my fireplace!

I was blown away years ago when I saw this in the flesh in Dublin.

takingofchrist_1.jpg

I actually have this painting over my fireplace all be it a much smaller version. It was a house warming present that I just had to give pride of place.

Anyway if yous like religious art and history then may I recommend the movie "Russkiy kovcheg" or "Russian Ark". It is an historical tour through the Hermitage Museum in Russia. The film boasts the longest one shot take in movie history, in fact the whole movie was made in one day and done in one shot. There are some really amazing pieces of art on show, well worth renting or buying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Er...who cares if it's religious - great art is great art.

Well I would've thought the artists for one, hard to imagine they would make great art for something they weren't really arsed about.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Well I would've thought the artists for one, hard to imagine they would make great art for something they weren't really arsed about.
    Ahem - cha ching! Wealthy Renaissance patrons!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

EW Pugin and his Church design, Mozart's Masses, Faure's Pie Jesu kills me every time. (this is a nice version though the quality isn't great.

As for painting I like early coptic stuff (Icons) and Dante Gabriel Rossetti's Ecce Ancilla Domini is a particular fave of mine.

rossetti4-755502.jpg

It's the angle appearing to the Virgin Mary.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Well yes, but what I mean is that the work's intentions shouldn't bother us (as viewers/listeners) as long as the art itself is good.

I can think of at least two composers who either changed religion or lied about their religion to get work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

studiorat wrote: »
    EW Pugin and his Church design, Mozart's Masses, Faure's Pie Jesu kills me every time. (this is a nice version though the quality isn't great.

As for painting I like early coptic stuff (Icons) and Dante Gabriel Rossetti's Ecce Ancilla Domini is a particular fave of mine.

rossetti4-755502.jpg

It's the angle appearing to the Virgin Mary.

OMG! What a horrible painting! I would have thought Dawkins would include that in one of his litanies of the evils of religion. It's almost enough to make me wish religion had never existed.

One man's meat is another man's poison. I prefer this:
    Dali_ChristofStJohnoftheCross1951.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

PDN wrote: »
    OMG! What a horrible painting! I would have thought Dawkins would include that in one of his litanies of the evils of religion. It's almost enough to make me wish religion had never existed.

One man's meat is another man's poison. I prefer this:
    Dali_ChristofStJohnoftheCross1951.jpg

That's done really well.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

christianity... more than just a death cult.

that picture is terrifying.

Advertisement