Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Predictions for this season's LEINSTER SCHOOLS SENIOR CUP

• 09-09-2008 5:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

I want to find out form for this season's teams in the Leinster Senior Cup. I want to find two sets of results:-
    1. The results of the Junior Cup three years ago 2005/6
    2. The results of last season's Senior Cup.

Where can I get this info. I cannot find it on the Leinster Domestic site.

Also, where can I get the format for Schools senior rugby and the fixtures?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 pulldownthemaul

Cheers, but it only gives the result of the final. Surely the results of all the rounds must be in cyberspace somewhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭jack90210

Results from the Senior Cup last year that I can remember:

Final: Belvo bt St. Marys
    Semi's: Belvo bt Clongowes, St. Marys bt CBC Monkstown
    Quarters: Belvo bt Roscrea, Clongowes bt Blackrock (after a replay), CBC Monkstown bt St. Michaels, St. Marys bt XXX
    First Round: Belvo bt Terenure, St. Marys bt XXX, Clongowes bt XXX, CBC Monkstown bt XXX, Blackrock bt XXX, St. Michaels bt XXX, XXX bt XXX

Teams I think were also in comp but can't remember who they played - Castleknock, Gonzaga, St. Columba's, Kilkenny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

You don't even need to know all that this year, just know that Rock will win. They are a cut above everybody else, won the JCT with ease(won the final something like 30-0). Nobody else is near them this year. The likes of Belvo, Marys, Michaels, CWC and CBC, last years other decent teams will be rebuilding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

themont85 wrote: »
    You don't even need to know all that this year, just know that Rock will win. They are a cut above everybody else, won the JCT with ease(won the final something like 30-0). Nobody else is near them this year. The likes of Belvo, Marys, Michaels, CWC and CBC, last years other decent teams will be rebuilding.

While I agree that rock are favorites, i vividly remember a certain monty85 making similar predictions about cbc monkstown last year, until they were demolished by st marys....
    oh my boy monty you were so confident, but no, things didnt go as you had planned, did they now?!!!

• Advertisement

only1stevo wrote: »
    While I agree that rock are favorites, i vividly remember a certain monty85 making similar predictions about cbc monkstown last year, until they were demolished by st marys....
    oh my boy monty you were so confident, but no, things didnt go as you had planned, did they now?!!!

Jesus just read your post there, must have missed that. Actually i do believe last year i said CBC were one of the favourites alongside BElvo and CWC. All 3 reached the semis, so in a way i was right. I never said that they would defo win, i just said they were a contender-which they were. I thought they would beat Marys, but then again i think 90 percent of people did, of course they lost(demolished?come of it), but thats the beauty of the cup! Rock will win, they've been called the new 'dream team', most other schools are rebuilding.

Actually just to add i looked at my posts from last year and nowhere did i say CBC would defo win, in fact this is what i predicted pre cup

'I'll make my predictions for all the competition
    Belvo v Terenure College- Belvo tight game TJ to keep Nure in it 2 or 3 points
    Blackrock College v St. Gerard's-Rock hammer Gerrads
    Clongowes Wood College v The King's Hospital-Clongowes by a stretch
    St. Mary's College v Castleknock College-Marys easily i'd say over 10 points
    C.C. Roscrea v St. Andrew's-Andrews
    Gonzaga College v Kilkenny College- 2nd time in two weeks? I'll go Gonzaga, have been poor all year I hear but remember them having been alright at Js
    CBC Monkstown v St. Columba's- CBC to overpower them
    Michaels v Pres Bray- Michaels to edge by but pick up a lot of injuries

Q Finals
    Belvo-Andrews, Belvo to do the business
    Rock-Clongowes, Toss up tbh but I'll go Rock, have a class coach and not as dirt as everyone says
    Marys-Gonzaga, Marys by a few
    CBC-Michaels, CBC close game though

Semis Toss up from here
    Belvo-Rock, Belvo by a couple
    CBC-Marys, CBC just a feeling

Final
    Belvo-CBC, Belvo to win in a very close game'

I think it was other ex CBC lads going a bit ott with their predictions...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 hiney

Terenure or Rock , doubt many will be able to touch them this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭louthandproud

hiney wrote: »
    Terenure or Rock , doubt many will be able to touch them this year

Would be nice if this competition was extended to a play off of the four provinces. Has this happened before?

Who would come out on top?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

What is it and boards readers thinking CBC will win the cup every single year :)

Do CBC past pupils have nothing else to do :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

What is it and boards readers thinking CBC will win the cup every single year :)

It's Ross's team, surely the most well publicised Senior Cup school of them all!

• Advertisement

Would be nice if this competition was extended to a play off of the four provinces. Has this happened before?

Who would come out on top?

Defo agree with this. Connaght would be way to weak though, even the weaker schools in Leinster would probably beat their best.

I think the best thing would be either

(A): Just have the four competitions and then open draw with a semi's and final with the 4 winning teams with whoever gets Connaght effectively recieiving a bye.

or

(B): Radically change the whole system with a series of group stages in each province with 1 or 2 teams from each group qualifying for the All Ireland playoffs which would be knockout. That way we haven't got the problem of losing one game and your out and we still get the knockout system and we don't have the problem of Connaght's weakness ruining the credibility of an All Ireland competition, maybe just give them 1 place in the playoffs or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

not to mention the vast numbers of ex terenure pupiles who keep quiet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,011 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

I think Leinster teams would storm it every year. There is no way (rightly or wrongly ) a new school would win both JCT and SCT in Leinster like what happened in Munster last season.

What I would like to see is for the Leinster Cup to be amalgamated to a system like the Heineken Cup. So each team with a pool of 4, would be guarenteed one of the "big six".

24 Teams would make up the Leinster School Cup. When you count them all up there are enough schools playing at this level.

And then there would be a Leinster 2nd Tier or Development Cup which would consist of all the new schools playing rugby or schools that aren't as Rugby intense as the Rugby schools. Again there at least 24 schools at this level.

Both finals on the same day, in Landstown Road.

The youth system should be re-jigged so that they have U17 teams like the Colt teams in England. This means lads can play for their clubs at U17 and the schools get them for U18.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

damnyanks wrote: »
    not to mention the vast numbers of ex terenure pupiles who keep quiet.

Well, you can't really blame them for keeping quiet, can you? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

jack90210 wrote: »
    Defo agree with this. Connaght would be way to weak though, even the weaker schools in Leinster would probably beat their best.

Considering the Connaght youth's have the best underage record out of all the 4 provinces id disagree.

Ah that was last year's predictions, not a hope CBC will win it this year! Now if you want to see a few delusional past pupils, check out leinsterfans.com-there's a serious CUS mafia over there!

Stev_o wrote: »
    Considering the Connaght youth's have the best
    underage record out of all the 4 provinces id disagree.

Youths and Schools are completely different though

I think Leinster teams would storm it every year. There is no way (rightly or wrongly ) a new school would win both JCT and SCT in Leinster like what happened in Munster last season.

What I would like to see is for the Leinster Cup to be amalgamated to a system like the Heineken Cup. So each team with a pool of 4, would be guarenteed one of the "big six".

24 Teams would make up the Leinster School Cup. When you count them all up there are enough schools playing at this level.

And then there would be a Leinster 2nd Tier or Development Cup which would consist of all the new schools playing rugby or schools that aren't as Rugby intense as the Rugby schools. Again there at least 24 schools at this level.

The youth system should be re-jigged so that they have U17 teams like the Colt teams in England. This means lads can play for their clubs at U17 and the schools get them for U18.

I think they're reverting to a H-Cup style tournament this year.

In order for them to revert to a H-Cup style cup they would need the full backing of the Big 8 which I very much doubt will happen. Also changing of the current cup competition would take away the cup magic that surrounds this tournament which I dont think would be a good thing

In order for them to revert to a H-Cup style cup they would need the full backing of the Big 8 which I very much doubt will happen. Also changing of the current cup competition would take away the cup magic that surrounds this tournament which I dont think would be a good thing

Ah but I always thought it was very stupid that a guy who works his ass of for a year can end up with 1 competative game a year. At least league schools get a few more games...

• Advertisement

thats true but I feel thats what adds to the cup games , You have 70 plus minutes on that field to give your all or else thats the end of your season .I agree this is quite unfair but I just think changing it from the way it is will take something away from it . I would fully back an all ireland type thing to happen after each provincial final though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭wowy

thats true but I feel thats what adds to the cup games , You have 70 plus minutes on that field to give your all or else thats the end of your season .I agree this is quite unfair but I just think changing it from the way it is will take something away from it . I would fully back an all ireland type thing to happen after each provincial final though

The problem with that is the Leaving Cert; it's way too unreasonable to expect the pupils to continue playing at such a level as the exams draw closer and closer.

Stev_o wrote: »
    Considering the Connaght youth's have the best underage record out of all the 4 provinces id disagree.

Yeah cos all the good players in the other 3 play schools! I played with a very average Leinster school and we hammered Garbally in both fifth and sixth year and they defo came second the year we were fifth year.

It has to go H-Cup style to be honest. It's amazing to have the knockout atmosphere but we'll still have that after the group stages. The players are playing to tight and its all about playing percentages and not about playing expansive rugby which is the way the game is going. The evidence of this can be seen in the international underage comps which follow the cups when Ireland seems to get hammered by bigger more skillful teams. Thats another thing we need to get a proper supplement programme into the schools and stop all this crap about worrying about creatine etc. I think they should play the cup in Autumn as well, American football style. Train in spring/summer. Then warm up games in late August/Sept. Then cup starting around October. Much further away from the exams to allow full mental and physical dedication. School season is too long and dragged out at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

themont85 wrote: »
    Jesus just read your post there, must have missed that. Actually i do believe last year i said CBC were one of the favourites alongside BElvo and CWC. All 3 reached the semis, so in a way i was right. I never said that they would defo win, i just said they were a contender-which they were. I thought they would beat Marys, but then again i think 90 percent of people did, of course they lost(demolished?come of it), but thats the beauty of the cup! Rock will win, they've been called the new 'dream team', most other schools are rebuilding.

Actually just to add i looked at my posts from last year and nowhere did i say CBC would defo win, in fact this is what i predicted pre cup

CBC WERE DEMOLISHED, no two ways about it, bar 10 minutes at the start of the game, they were out played. Marys had far better players and far better coaches, with cbc's coaches showing their immaturity on numerous occasions with pathetic decisions. 90 percent of people that knew nothing about rugby thought cbc would win, because they listened to people like yourself, who decided the best way to help their team win the cup was by the talking up of an average team in what an only be described as ridiculous.
    How dare the lower echelons of schools rugby believe they can win the senior cup, let it stay in the big 6(clongowes,nure,marys,michaels,rock,belvo) where it belongs, to the people that know how to play rugby, not to the freaks that come along once in a century with the bewildered belief that they have what it takes to win the senior cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭randomname2005

I don't know if most of the schools would go for this. It was only recently that they divided Section A and B into the four groups we have now, and the schools that have finally won some silverware in the lower cups are hardly likely to want to go back to a system where they only win something every 20 or 30 years!

Also, one of the motivations that small, non rugby intense schools have is to 'have a go' at one of the bigger schools in the higher division by quailfying through the lower cups (think of St Columbas last year). I think that those schools would be a little disappointed if you took that opportunity away.

In addition, there are a lot more competitions that take place outside of the senior cup. Schools play leagues and have 2nds cups and leagues which takes up a lot of time, so fitting in an extra series of cup/pool games might not be an option.

Regarding the all-ireland play off, this is in someway already in place with the schools interpro's.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Jam-Fly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Ladies, can we please keep this conversation civilised. I don't want to have to start giving out infractions and bans for muppetry.

only1stevo, you're on a warning. Try and have a reasonable discussion on this topic.

Terenure beat belvo today 19-0 and from what I hear Nure were completely dominant in every aspect and should have scored more , That said Belvo also knocked on over the line twice .I also heard that rock beat marys 30-15 (might be a bit off with the score) Marys were said to have been very poor in the first half . Nure Rock next week .

Terenure beat Rock 21-18 .

• Advertisement

Gick must be good this year, how many returning players do they have from last year? Impressive sounding result versus Rock there.

13 from the 22 !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Super Sidious

I thought CBC were meant to be the "dreamteam" last year... they were ****e! Belvo have a decent contigent returning iirc... should be a good year!

flynner13 wrote: »
    I thought CBC were meant to be the "dreamteam" last year... they were ****e! Belvo have a decent contigent returning iirc... should be a good year!

I'll ignore your ignorance at the start of your post, how many do they have coming back can i ask? Looks like Nure are the business going by results here and Rock too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

Clongowes are a safe bet for the junior cup

• Registered Users Posts: 4 rugbychat

jack90210 wrote: »
    I think they should play the cup in Autumn as well, American football style. Train in spring/summer. Then warm up games in late August/Sept. Then cup starting around October. Much further away from the exams to allow full mental and physical dedication. School season is too long and dragged out at the moment.

This wouldnt work as teams like clongowes,roscrea,rock,killkenny are all boarding or have boarders on their teams!! who would be around the country during the summer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭RugbyFanatic

flynner13 wrote: »

Well in fairness now flynner your Belvo had two vital tries disallowed against them in two vital games that would of changed the outcome of belvos season

1st was Clongowes getting a try only for the ref to claim he did not see it grounded when it was clear to everyone in the beective stand that the ball was grounded.

2nd and most importantly was against Marys when they rucked over your line, ball down once again the spectators could see it only for a ref to call it for a scrum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Belvo were saving last year. Probably one of the most exciting up runs I've ever seen. Hope they do it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭RugbyFanatic

[Jackass] wrote: »
    Belvo were saving last year. Probably one of the most exciting up runs I've ever seen. Hope they do it again.

Really? I thought Marys and CBC were far better.

Belvo seemed to just love crashing their centre again and again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

well in fairness, I may be slightly bias :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

1st was Clongowes getting a try only for the ref to claim he did not see it grounded when it was clear to everyone in the beective stand that the ball was grounded.

I have seen a picture of that one being grounded.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 supasoumi

yeah i was standing pretty much right infront of it and the ball was definately down. They also got fairly lucky with the breakaway try against nure. Fair play to them though. Dont know about them this year from juniors they werent great at all but not sure how they have come on since then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭Shanegggg

as far as the format of the cup goes, i've heard from players in 5th year that they are in fact playin a H-Cup style next year! so lookin forward to seeing how that pans out.

and as for predictions i've heard all sorts of claims about rock being the new 'dreamteam' and so on, but a lot of that has been based on their performance and i've heard that they haven't progressed as expected since then but if you were to go on their performance last year in the cup when they had quite a few 5th yrs they played well against a decent clongowes team and considering they haven't got past the quarters in 2 yrs i'd expect them to go far this year. however i hope cbc hammer them in the 1st round just to shut them up for good!

Advertisement