Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question for you.

Options
  • 09-09-2008 5:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Probably the wrong place for this but not sure where to put it and there seems to be a few wise heads in here that answer similar questions so.....

If I do complete a general degree here in UCD (Ireland:p) and then decide to start another (unrelated) undergraduate degree in Scotland whats the story regarding fees does anybody know?

I think that the Scottish gouvernment pay tuition fees for natives and non UK EU citizens (whereas,say in England it generally costs £3,300 per year). I presume this isn't the case if I have allready got an Irish degree under my belt?

Also, when applying to Scotland is it based on your degree or can I still use my leaving cert results (plus interview etc).

Thanks, if there's somewhere better to put this question let me know.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Well, taking Edinburgh as an example, they say that EU students are classified the same as Scottish students:
    No! All students are liable to pay tuition fees. Scottish and non-UK EU students can apply to have their tuition fees paid by the Student Awards Agency for Scotland (SAAS) if they are studying for an undergraduate degree for the first time.
    Note the "for the first time" bit. They have another FAQ that says pretty much the same thing. For a second degree anywhere in the EU, expect to pay full fees.

UCAS (the UK "CAO") and the university won't have any problem correlating Irish results with UK results - they do that kind of thing all the time. The university has the final say, of course (as in Ireland). Using Edinburgh as an example again, they have specific information for Irish applicants, here. As for applying for an undergraduate degree based on another undergraduate degree... no idea. Why not take a Master's, such as a MBA?

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

Advertisement