Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tongue complications

Options
  • 09-09-2008 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭

Hey! I was considering getting my tongue pierced in the near future, but I was just wondering how wise it would be for me. Sorry for length of post!

In around January last year I got very sick with tonsilitis, which culminated in me being admitted to hospital as an emergency, and having my tonsils taken out in Feb. I was in hospital for nearly three weeks, and I had a lot of complications with my mouth - absolutely huge mouth ulcers, extremely swollen tongue plus, of course, whatever was going on with my throat. I was in for all sorts of scans and tests to see what the problem was, but it was never established.

As you can imagine, I lost around two stone because I couldn't eat anything (going down to under six and a half) and my immune system was seriously knackered for a time afterwards. I really was awfully ill.

December of last year, fully recovered, I went to Snakebite and was enquiring about getting my tongue pierced. I told them about the significant swelling I had had and asked if that would be a problem with getting my tongue pierced. He asked about my diet, and I informed him that I ate very little fruit/veg etc. The piercer told me to go away for a week and take vitamin c etc to get my immune system up, and he'd do it for me in a week.

However, I decided against it. I'm interested in it again, and my question is: Do you think it's wise for me to go for such a big piercing? I'm pretty healthy now, but I don't want to jeorpardise that!

I know bacterical infections, blood loss etc are risks, and my real question is how risky a tongue piercing really is. It is a wound in my mouth after all!

Thanks a mil in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

The guys in snakebite know their stuff, they put the client before the piercing, which a lot of places don't do.

In the grand scale of piercings it's not that invasive or risky as long as you look after it. Do what the crew there said, build up your immune system, make sure you are as healthy as possible then go to snakebite and get them to do it.
    Follow their instructions and all will be well.

All that will happen is some swelling and mild discomfort for the first week to two weeks. Then you will be right as rain.

When getting pierced it is very rare to bleed, even for tongue piercings. I've only bled maybe twice out of 22 times getting pierced. Main reason was because i was drinking the night before. Alcohol thins the blood.

It's a walk in the park, trust me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭gaybitch

Thanks Will, you're a star, v reassuring.

I've just sort of had bad luck with piercings - I got my upper cartilege pierced three times in one go at Snakebite, and I was bleeding for about 15 minutes. They had to put tissues all over my shoulder and everything... My blood must be v thin! I'll try to cut down on the booze/Coke in the run up. Thanks again. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

take vitamin e and c, and zinc tablets too. I've dodgey tonsils myself and never had any trouble with my tongue, granted they aren't half as bad as yours seem to have been. The only trouble I've encountered really is doctors and dentists telling me no "real" surgeon would opperate on me when i do need my tonsils out cuz my mouth is "a harbour for bacteria" but that's all a load of crap from prejudiced peoples...

the vit e and zinc are for skin and tissue repair, will help the healing process and the c as wil and snakebite said to boost your immune system, just be very careful when you get it done, really care for it and follow the lads instructions to a tee, the guys in snakebite really know their stuff and are deadly sound and will be there for ye whatever ye need

It'll be all good! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭gaybitch

Thanks a mil. x

Advertisement