Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cold Air Intake

Options
  • 09-09-2008 5:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

Ok so I had a quick look back to see if I could find any threads on this and I couldn't so sorry if I'm repeating anything thats been asked before.

I'm looking into buying a new car and a couple I'm looking at have a AEM V2 hybrid air intake installed. My question is....is hydro-lock a big problem?? I've been doing a little research and am getting conflicting views. Anyone here suffered from it? I live in Mayo so its pissing here most days would this make my car very susceptible to hydro-lock??

Thanks in advance for any helpful posts

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

what's the car, and how low is it?

presume it's a Honda. AFAIK the V2 is just an induction system and not a CAI?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

if the engine is under 2.5 litres i wouldnt put much stock in a CAI,if its a turbo engine i wouldn't even bother.the real gains from CAIs are seen on big NA engines.

I would get a good panel filter from K&N,ITG or the likes and fit it to my existing airbox.

The risk of hydrolock comes when you feed the air intake down to the lower grille,most poeple who fit CAI's leave them open in the engine bay(go figure????)

Personally i wouldnt go near one to the lower grill,the risk is too great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 noloveinfear21

Its a 03 Civic type-r. To be honest I don't much about these things although I did read it has little performance increase. Thats not what I'm bothered about just wondering if its much of a risk? Like how much water would be trouble?? Splashes?? Or would it need to be totally submerged

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I hydrolocked my car a good few years back, and that was just with an induction kit fairly high up in the engine bay.
    The induction system has no drain off like a standard airbox, so there's always the risk.

Personally I think a good performance filter is the way to go, unless you want the induction roar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

on most civics unless you going for a mugen intake $$$$$$$$$ you best bet is to keep the OEM box take out the resonator box and give the OEM intake a cold air feed, time and time again these have seen some of the best gains in civics with out spennding $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,822 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

a 03 Civic is not compatible with an AEM Hybrid system: hybrid.jpg

It will work with the Aem V2v2.jpg which sits at the back of the engine bay so there is 0 chance of Hydro lock.

The V2 sounds great once it hits the Vtec, and while you maybe lucky to gain 1HP it will make the throttle feel more responsive.

Its a 03 Civic type-r. To be honest I don't much about these things although I did read it has little performance increase. Thats not what I'm bothered about just wondering if its much of a risk? Like how much water would be trouble?? Splashes?? Or would it need to be totally submerged

With a V2 you would want to be driving through a river with the water coming up to the wipers! Although im sure by that stage you'd have water around your feet..

whats the point of a CAI that has an open filter sitting in the engine bay?

Remove your existing intake,that takes cold air from outside the car and install an expensive one that takes warm air from inside the engine bay? :confused:

tossy wrote: »
    whats the point of a CAI that has an open filter sitting in the engine bay?

Remove your existing intake,that takes cold air from outside the car and install an expensive one that takes warm air from inside the engine bay? :confused:

While that's true, the OP did ask about the V2 Intake's already fitted to the car(s) he is looking at and the issue of hydro-lock, and not the extra heat of the intake cone sitting at the back of the engine bay..

With a bit of piping and a metal/plastic shield around the cone it won't have such a heat build up... However there are better enclosed intakes for the K20 Civic, they are just quite expensive..

true,but (and no offence to the OP) i don't think he/she knows a whole lot about CAI kits in general so i would try to provide them with as much info as possible.

The simple fact of the matter is the cash outlay is not worth it in terms for bang for buck on any small engined car,true on some cars the do give a nice throaty sound when on the gas,but the also sound stupid on other cars.

• Advertisement

tossy wrote: »
    The simple fact of the matter is the cash outlay is not worth it in terms for bang for buck on any small engined car,true on some cars the do give a nice throaty sound when on the gas,but the also sound stupid on other cars.

If the Intake is already fitted then its grand, and the V2 makes a great sound when the Vtec kicks in(worth it for that alone!). And sure its only around €250 for the V2 anyways so its not that much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 noloveinfear21

Tenzor07 wrote: »

I had checked out that link alright haha sounds cool. Thanks for all your help and advice. As tossy (I'm a he ;)) said I really am a novice when it comes to the CAI thing so thanks. Going to test drive it this weekend so I'll let yee know if I went for it or not. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Bobo78

Lads, i read this thread now and i need to ask you something about it.
    I heard a lot of stories about CAI how they do increase power and how they dont increase at all, on my car i had one of those cone shaped air induction kits but it was only the filter and when i fitted it on car, the car actually felt like it has more power then it had with the standard air filter.
    So basically if i put something like this on the car would it be worth to declare that modification to the insurance, even if it doesnt increase the power at all?
    My question is does that really affect the power and if does in what amount?

Thank ;)

Bobo78 wrote: »
    Lads, i read this thread now and i need to ask you something about it.
    I heard a lot of stories about CAI how they do increase power and how they dont increase at all, on my car i had one of those cone shaped air induction kits but it was only the filter and when i fitted it on car, the car actually felt like it has more power then it had with the standard air filter.
    So basically if i put something like this on the car would it be worth to declare that modification to the insurance, even if it doesnt increase the power at all?
    My question is does that really affect the power and if does in what amount?

Thank ;)

With a cone air filter you probably felt a slight improvement in throttle response but would be lucky to gain 1hp..

Advertisement