Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OB impressions

• 09-09-2008 5:54pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Well after 3 hours today i really like the game.
    Graphics are very nice at max settings,animations are really nice.
    Im getting well over 60 fps at max settings @ 15650X1050, AAX8,AFX16.
    Gameplay wise,its similar to any mmo but theres just so much to do.
    Solo quests,loads of public quests which offer loot,xp,influence for gear [similar to rep in wow etc]
    I havent done any rvr yet as theres loads to do pve wise.
    There are a few bugs while doing public quests,mobs that are invalid targets etc but nothing that cant be sorted easily enough.
    I experience no lag despite having to queue to joiun the server.
    Apart from the mess from GOA the last 2 days the game loks in great shape.
    Im well impressed so far.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I only played for about 30 minutes. Have to head out now. Some of the animations arent the best and at times it does look a bit clunky - however, this is something that can be easily fixed and I'm sure it will be in future patches. DAOC at launch and DAOC 12 months later were completely different games. I expect the same here.

On the positive side of things, it looks like they have taken lots of good ideas from other mmorpgs and added a fair amount of their own stuff also. Looking forward to playing more tonight. At its core, it seems to be a very good game indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Got into OB last night, played till 5 :)

Really like the game, granted my comp is a POS but still runs well. Pity most of the PQ's are empty (most people just did the one in Chapter 1 of High Elf area) ans they are good fun. Managed to also get into a scenario, ran smooth as anything, lag was my biggest fear in a RvR focused game (bad experiences with 56k dial up and Planetside).

Overall, the game works great, a few small bugs but nothing thats breaks the game and nothing I haven't seen in games like WoW, CoX and LoTRO. Servers, while obviously not at the level we can expect at launch, ran fine. So apart from the whole accounts screw up, Beta be going good.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Im finding the PQs have loads of participants.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,487 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Dcully wrote: »
    Im finding the PQs have loads of participants.

Depends on the PQ though, there'll always be one in a chapter that you're lead to by the nose, but there'll also be another two, off the beaten track, one of which is marked as hard and gives better loot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Nemesis

Im tempted,

DAOC was a fantastic game and of course I played WoW..

Thing is I cant play these games at anything other than 150% ..

It takes me over completely!.

'If' I buy it I'll probably go play with you Cully and make sure I pace myself sensibly like you do :).

Glaskopft/DemonBaby/Brian.

• Advertisement

Come on Brian,be nice to hook with ya again in an MMO :)
    The more i play the more i like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

The more i play the more i like.

Agree with this. Played for a couple of hours tonight and I'm really starting to like the game. The PVP is excellent and you start pvping really early in the game. The public quests are interesting also and I really like the tome of knowledge. It basically records EVERYTHING.

Oh, also - at the end of a PQ RVR session you get all the stats. i.e - most kills, most damage, most healing - thats a great idea!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

I'm liking the game so far, graphics could be better but still very impressive.

Had my first taste of RvR today in a scenario, was quite fun especially since I won, don't like the death without penalty thing but it was still quite enjoyable. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Exar Khun

Patching finally! You're all going to pay!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Tusky wrote: »
    Oh, also - at the end of a PQ RVR session you get all the stats. i.e - most kills, most damage, most healing - thats a great idea!

I think something could be up with the PQ RVR Sessions, I played four scenarios last night and for some reason I wasn't at the top of the table in any of them... I ended up being down around 20'ish, which clearly isn't right for a man of my caliber, my lvl 3 was at the front of the charge every time. I dont mind though because its beta I logged it as a bug.

Going to try and new class tonight

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭b0bsquish

After needing directx 9 installed in vista (even thou I have 10?!) 3 queues, 3 crashes, a beta driver for my 8500gt...I finally got in! Played for about 2 hours last night, looked good graphically, played pretty well. I can see an addiction forming here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭hairyheretic

I got a few hours in last night myself. Unfortunately the gfx card bug I have seems to crop up here as well, as I crashed out whilst still queueing to join. Thankfully that was the only time I did.

I like the fact that where you need to go on a particular quest is lit up on the map. That helps things a lot. I did have a bit of trouble finding the weak marauder though, eventually finding him between two houses, and not in a house as the mission text said.

I did encounter some lag in a fight, but thankfully only a couple of incidents. Graphics are really nice.

My Magus is up to about level 5 now, and on to chapter 2 quests. Haven't tried pvp yet.

I'd a quick spin with the dark elf start zone as welll. Sniping high elves with a repeating bolt thrower :D Its a pity the mission only lets you kill 4 .. I could have sat doing that for ages :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,487 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I got a few hours in last night myself. Unfortunately the gfx card bug I have seems to crop up here as well, as I crashed out whilst still queueing to join. Thankfully that was the only time I did.

I like the fact that where you need to go on a particular quest is lit up on the map. That helps things a lot. I did have a bit of trouble finding the weak marauder though, eventually finding him between two houses, and not in a house as the mission text said.

I did encounter some lag in a fight, but thankfully only a couple of incidents. Graphics are really nice.

My Magus is up to about level 5 now, and on to chapter 2 quests. Haven't tried pvp yet.

I'd a quick spin with the dark elf start zone as welll. Sniping high elves with a repeating bolt thrower :D Its a pity the mission only lets you kill 4 .. I could have sat doing that for ages :)

The greenskins starting area is regarded as the best and is worth checking out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭hairyheretic

Thinking about doing that tonight. I have my squig herder Wazdreg rolled already, but he's not come out to play just yet.

I cant get over how well the gear looks.
    There are lvl 10 tanks running round in gear that looks way better than lvl 65 wow tanks.
    I dont mean graphically i mean the gear looks like proper armour even at low levels.
    Black orcs running round at lvl 10 with huge big shoulder armour with metal spikes out of them.
    Seen a lvl 9 sorceress with a staff that looked better than anything ive seen from Kara,ZA etc in wow,not just wow,same can be said for AOC and LOTRO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

is there a way to try out the open beta without preordering the game?

i guess what i'm asking for is a open beta key :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭KoKane

I cant get over how well the gear looks.
    There are lvl 10 tanks running round in gear that looks way better than lvl 65 wow tanks.
    I dont mean graphically i mean the gear looks like proper armour even at low levels.
    Black orcs running round at lvl 10 with huge big shoulder armour with metal spikes out of them.
    Seen a lvl 9 sorceress with a staff that looked better than anything ive seen from Kara,ZA etc in wow,not just wow,same can be said for AOC and LOTRO.

Only cool thing I got on my Zealot is the constantly glowing charm (skull that he holds in his hand all the time)
    Had a couple of new armour parts but I'm still in a skirt :/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Sure i was still in a skirt with my Conqueror in AoC at lvl30...and he's a melee dps'er. Wtf is up with that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

netman wrote: »
    is there a way to try out the open beta without preordering the game?

i guess what i'm asking for is a open beta key :)
    The Beta is only on for another couple of days, as far as I know, so it's unlikely that by the time you're registered you'd get to do much, I'm afraid.

humanji wrote: »
    The Beta is only on for another couple of days, as far as I know, so it's unlikely that by the time you're registered you'd get to do much, I'm afraid.

Live retail for CE owners is this Sunday already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭whatduck

Well finally, 4 days later I'm patching!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

All i did last night was chase the dragon but i just couldnt catch him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Finally got access this afternoon and played for a couple of hours, leveled two greenskins to 4 or 5. Love the starting area, and the quests were fun. There is an awful lot to take on board starting out though, and it took me a while to work what the random (or at least it seemed to me at the time) messages that popped up on the screen every few seconds were referring to.

Tried a Black Orc first, was only ok tbh. Comabt seemed slow and laboured, although the combat mechanic (the path thing, can't remember what its called) was pretty interesting. Then tried a shaman which was good fun. Started to get to grips with the tome of knowledge thing to, which is absolutely fantastic. Was going to log on this evening to do some RvR with the shammie but the server was full so I decided to try a Bright Wizard. All i can say is wow. I got to level 2 and decided to do an RvR scenario - was so much fun, and you get loads of xp doing it. RvR seems like a lot of fun, although I think it might tend towards a zerg fest if your not properly organised.

On the minus side, I don't think the graphics are great, but I can live with that. Came across a few bugs that need to be ironed out (line of sight, pathing issues and unhitable mobs mainly) but thats only to be expected at this stage. The game crashed on me twice, both times I tried to tab out and it just completely fcuked up my system.

All in all, really excited about launch now. Still have no idea what career I'll roll, but I'm sure I'll narrow it down over the next day or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭Sarn

I'm enjoying it so far and that's with a below minimum spec machine (1.7 GHz Pentium M, 64 MB mobility radeon 9700, Win XP, 1 GB RAM). The graphics are grand at this level.

The Tome of Knowledge is a great idea, very useful keeping track of everything. As mentioned above there's a lot to take in coupled with the odd bug (only two so far). Slowly but surely I'm getting the hang of it. The PQ is a nice add on, good to have everyone working together.

The one really noticeable thing is how skewed in favour of Chaos most of the servers are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Got to log on tonight too and have to say it's one of the most fun games I've played in a while and I'm only level 5. Created a Bright Wizard as the Chaos side was full. The game could do with some sort of tutorial as I was completely lost when I started.

I'd no real idea of the content of the game and when I walked into a public quest are I had to try and figure out what was going on (didn't pay attention to the hints that came on screen). I'm loving this so far. Hope it lasts :D

Ya, i too am really enjoying it. Its great fun. Playing my shaman and he's pretty good. Could do with some more damage skills, but i guess i am only level 5. Gonna try a melee dps tonight. Do we have an alternate server for Order?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭KoKane

I've been constantly pvping from level 6 to 10 and not really bothered about what level I am...

Only stopped to realise how much fun I was having so early in the game too !!

I'm finding it takes quite a while to get into the early RvR scenario as my Shaman. Is it casuse there is far more Chaos then Order?

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Played quite a bit this evening, on the Order side, Burlok Server. Witch Hunter, Shadow Warrior & Bright Wizard. I'm really liking it so far. the PQ's are great. Also, the RvR Scenarios work really well. There's just so much to do.

Gear looks great, graphics are a bit meh but better than WoW. Artwork is really good, which makes up for it.

God, comparing it to AoC - just goes to show how half-finished it was, how little content there was. No endless Villa grinding in WAR.

Looking forward to trying out the Chaos side tomorrow on another server.

I can really see this taking off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

Im loving it atm. Just trying alot of different classes to find out what I want for launch. Only thing that annoys me is the huge writing that comes up on screen when cant do an attack or critical strike or something. Its prob because im used to such high resolution in wow and in this im using lower res.

Advertisement