Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OB impressions

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 qtpLOL

Dcully just wondering what your computer specs are.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Nemesis

I was afraid to read anything about Warhammer because I felt I'd just get hooked on it.

But...I have to ask a question or 2.

Do you think War will try and keep people playing (meaning addicted..hooked)
    by actually making the gameplay fun ..say like planetside..or get people into the old scenario of grind this and grind that to progress.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Nemesis wrote: »
    Do you think War will try and keep people playing (meaning addicted..hooked)

Dunno what you mean by this since that's the whole point from the Developer's point of view. There's plenty of content & things to do in it. In time more will be added no doubt, so I guess the answer is yes. They are in it for the long haul.
    Nemesis wrote: »
    by actually making the gameplay fun ..say like planetside..or get people into the old scenario of grind this and grind that to progress.

It's early days so far but I'm finding it very enjoyable. There is very little grinding that I can see. Yes, there are go kill X monsters but so far anyway, these quests haven't outstayed their welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

What I like about it so far (bearing in mind I'm rubbish at all these games and have only started playing this one) is that it kind of starts you off with the kind of end of game content that made WoW so popular. This makes the game feel like so much less of a grind. Sure you can try to get to as high a level as you can, but you can enjoy the majority of the game features from the moment you start playing.

It always annoyed me in other MMO's havign to slog your way through the early levels until you max out your character. I was always slow at it and would just lose interest in the game altogether. The only game that this didn't happen for was the Lord Of The Rings Online, and that was because I loved the storylines so I really wanted to play through the grind. With this game, I don't even find myself watching my XP bar and when I do level, I don't rush off to the nearest trainer because I'm just bumming around, enjoying myself. :)

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Another thing I meant to say is how easy it is to find groups in this. It really is so simple to group with people. I don't think there will ever be much waiting around for 30 minutes trying to find or put together groups in this game. It really is brilliant. the best I've come across.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'm not sure i like the random rolling after PQ. I came third in one earlier, then got a roll of 500 compared to most peoples 900, and finished outside the rewards ranking. Seems a bit...well, random.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,339 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Kiith wrote: »
    I'm not sure i like the random rolling after PQ. I came third in one earlier, then got a roll of 500 compared to most peoples 900, and finished outside the rewards ranking. Seems a bit...well, random.

Your bonus also increases if you've done the same PQ several times in a short period. While it's random enough to ensure anyone can win, you are still getting the guaranteed rewards from the inf generated.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Dcully just wondering what your computer specs are.

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P, P35, Socket-775,
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz
    OCZ Platinum DDR2 PC6400 4 gig
    2 X Samsung SpinPoint T166 500GB SATA2
    XFX GeForce 8800GTS 600M 640MB XXX GDDR3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 qtpLOL

Sweet dculy on friday I'm buying a
    Q6600
    4gigs
    p45 mobo SLI
    and 2x 8800GS cards and I like to play mmo's at around the 1200-1600 mark at highish settings so you posting back this has made my day and now i can't wait to play :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Just had my opinion of this game lifted even more by the randomness of some things. While running down the docks in Altdorf, I bumped into a group of lvl 10 skeletons. After killing one, it flagged up a public quest to kill 50 of them in a time limit. Since I was only person doing it, only got up to about 15 before time ran out :rolleyes:.

If there are more random little events like this dotted round the game, roll on the 14th when I can play the full game :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭wideband

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    roll on the 14th when I can play the full game :D

yepee, I thought it was the 18th :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,339 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

wideband wrote: »
    yepee, I thought it was the 18th :D

14th for CE owners, 15th for SE owners. The yanks SE access isn't till the 15th, the EU wins out for once.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Oh wow you guys have good computers, I am using a:

Pentium 4 2.8Gz (with Hyperthreading thank god)
    2 Gb DDR1
    256Mb Radeon x1650 AGP (yes, those still exist)

And the game works good at balanced/ best framerate levels. There is a lot of lag in crowded areas (and Altdorf just destroys it) but this is probably due to a lack of Pixel-Shader 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

I reckon they'd be better off swapping the 2 rolls you get round, so that your contribution gives up to 1000 and then have the random roll only 1-400. Seems a little too random, I've seen people wander into a PQ just as it's finishing and win the top loot.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭KoKane

Anyone got a headstart key they wanna part with, lemme know yeh ? :p

Ok that PQ rolling is really starting to piss me off. I finished top of the rankings, hadnt done the quest before, wasnt in a part, and i rolled 300, ending in 8th place. Thats ****ing bull****.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Yes Kiith but if you think about it,if they were to decide finishing positions based purely on damage it just wouldnt ebcourage all classes to do PQs.

Ok that PQ rolling is really starting to piss me off. I finished top of the rankings, hadnt done the quest before, wasnt in a part, and i rolled 300, ending in 8th place. Thats ****ing bull****.

It used to be worse, in the early days of beta the 1st postion bonus was only 200.

I just think its a bad way to do it (although i'm not sure what would be a good way). I wasnt even doing that much damage, as i was healing half the time. I love the quests themselves, its just kind of annoying to finish first, then get a ****ty role, and finish 8th, which in this instance, gave me no reward whatsoever.

I just think its a bad way to do it (although i'm not sure what would be a good way). I wasnt even doing that much damage, as i was healing half the time. I love the quests themselves, its just kind of annoying to finish first, then get a ****ty role, and finish 8th, which in this instance, gave me no reward whatsoever.

The inf generated still goes towards the chapter reward and quest unlock, plus you do get the XP from it, so it's not a total loss.

• Advertisement

Stop making sense! My complaining in becomming less and less effective when you have good replies like that....bah! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭toxick

got first in participitaing, got the +500 to roll.. comes random roll.. oh look.. a 8 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

YEah, I know that pain. I was in a PQ with only 3 people and was playing a shaman. In the first round (it was the first goblin PQ) I know I killed the most squigs. The second round I'm fairly sure I collected the most barrels. The next round I killed 2 of 4 dwarfs. After this a load of blakc orcs came in and the were the main force that killed the rest of the dwarfs (but I was still pretty much kicking ass for a low level healer). Comes time to get rewarded and I get knocked back to 7th. As was said above, you still get the other bonuses from it, but it's depressing not coming higher in the rankings. All I want is to be loved. :(

Advertisement