Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work after Film Course

Options
  • 09-09-2008 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

I am planning on returning to college as a mature student to study Film/TV production.

How hard is it to get work after completing such courses?

Do many graduates end up having to move abroad to get work?

Thanks

Brian

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Sorry it took a while to get back to you, I'm sort of busy and I missed this thread
    BTM wrote: »
    I am planning on returning to college as a mature student to study Film/TV production.

How hard is it to get work after completing such courses?

Depends on you really. Pretty much the degree itself wont get you any work, its what you did during those years that matter. If you really learn how to get the most out of any software or equipment they give you and emphasize your skill with them rather then the degree you completed. Have a showreal of work you've done, clock up as many credits as you can, you cant be lazy about it, work for free filming/editing etc events around the college and for other students, get a credit on as many pieces as you can, make your own stuff, help others.

Doing a film production course is essentially 3-4 years free reign to make what you want with access to free crew, equipment and advice. Once you clocked up a nice bit of work the only aspect you are missing is work experiance which being a mature student you might already have a good chunk of that, if not look to do freelance community work etc.

Do many graduates end up having to move abroad to get work?

Well personally I actually came back to Ireland to get work, I studied in England in Cambridge, but the tv industry in the UK is very focused around the specific cities (London obviously being the main one) and unless you live smack bang in the middle of those cities most production companies assume you live too far away and wont take you on. Dont seem to believe in Commuting.

Came back to Ireland where I could live smack bang in dublin on a much cheaper budget (shocking I know, but family home) then trying to move to London

Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 31 BTM

Thanks for your reply

The course I am hoping to get into is actually only a two year course in Bray (because I don't think I could afford going back to education for 4 years). Hopefully I could just work twice as hard and put together as much as someone who had four years ;)

It's going to be hard to get into the 2 year course as the requirements state you need to have completed a 1 year media course, which I haven't, or have sufficient experience.

I have IT based work experience, along with experience in the publishing/printing industry. So, while it's not directly relevant, it hopefully helps somewhat.

Also, I plan on getting familiar with as many relevant software packages as I can between now and September (I'll try to find out which are used in the college) and to put together a bit of a portfolio before the interviews (even though its not an entry requirement).

Thanks again for the info

Brian

Advertisement