Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT guide - buying car in the North

Options
  • 09-09-2008 6:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭

Hi all,

I am considering getting myself a new motor and I have
    heard stories about lots of money to be saved by buying in the North. Especially now when the pound is weaker than ever before.

Anyone got a link to a good guide to working out the VAT/VRT etc? I have compared some prices and prices are definately a lot lower in the UK, but I am not sure how much to expect to pay in VRT etc.

Cheers
    -jayo
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭jk2001

Excellent, just what I needed!

I see the ROS site calculates the market value of the car - is this system what Revenue use, or is there a chance to get the car valued at a lower price? VRT for the car I am looking at comes in just under 8000 euro, which means the price here and in NI works out pretty much the same - I was expecting it to work out cheaper going to the north :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,551 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You can appeal the valuation but its rarely successful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Depends on the car really, some cars there's big savings, others it's not worth your while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭jk2001

Thanks guys, for your help!
    -jayo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Celtic Mech

Generally the higher the value of the car, the more likely you are to save. I did this myself by going over to London and bringing a 4 yr old bmw 318se home. Saved about 5000euro (including VRT) on the equivalnet price here. Its well worth it, in my opinion.
    From when i was researching, i found prices up the North to be roughly 1000+ Pounds more expensive than the exact same car in the UK.
    I went to www.autotrader.co.uk and searched for cars. For the required postal code, just google airports such as Heathrow, stansted, Manchester etc that are easy to get to and would generally have a large amount of cars around them.

Advertisement