Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Savage attack on catherine/thomas street

Options
  • 09-09-2008 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭

A friend of my girlfriends was rather sa\vagely mugged on the corner by carltion coffee last night (monday).
    She and two firends were walking home from costellos (first night back at art college) when a carload of tracksuit wearing girls pulled alongside and one of the occupants asked for a light, she said she didnt and walked on, they kerb crawled after her and asked again. She looked in her bag to see if she had a light the girl in the car grabbed it, and her hair. the driver took off and she was dragged from the corner by carlton coffee up to eats of eden before they let go.
    Her legs are pretty rashed up and she has stitches in her chin as well as bruises to her head. Apparently these girls are "known to the gardai".

This was four girls cruising looking for art students to rob obviously not giving a **** about consequences as they did this in front of witnesses in a part of town full of cctv cameras. I said i'd post this as a warning especially as the colleges are just starting back. Just because they're girls doesnt mean they're not scumbags

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

echomadman wrote: »
    Apparently these girls are "known to the gardai".
    Unfortunately the guards in Limerick are about as effective as an ashtray on a motorbike. I wouldn't hold out much hope for these scumbags being brought up for it. The Catherine St area is a pretty dangerous area to be in late at night and i would not advise anyone to walk up it alone, i'm talking from experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭RINO87

grenache wrote: »
    The Catherine St area is a pretty dangerous area to be in late at night and i would not advise anyone to walk up it alone, i'm talking from experience.

where is'nt?, its ****in bull****, some of my friends were robbed after costelloes last thursday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BarryCreed

A few months back, I was asked for a light by a girl and a few lads in car (citroen xara) up by taits clock. Then they asked could they use my phone as they had "no credit". I was with a lad, and I said no, then the lads started saying "don't be getting f**kin cheeky boss or I'll bust your head". They drove away anyways.. They were travellers. Not saying it was the same crowd, but if someone does ask you, just walk on. I think it's good in general to remember to have your wits about you, and have a good look ahead down the street and check behind you while walking. Be prepared to run if you have to. I know that could be hard after a feed of booze...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Car?

License Plate?

CCTV?

Known to the Gardaí?

- Sorry, wouldn't say there's any chance of justice being served here......

Pity it didn't happen in the lobby of Henry St. Garda Station at 3pm on a Mon. evening - they might have gotten a very serious caution then :mad:

Limerick Gardaí are piloting an interesting and unique crime avoidance scheme for the past number of decades. Its a kind of live and let live system where they cash their pay cheques from our taxes and the scum of Limerick cash the dole cheques from our taxes - while all the while one group terrorise the people who pay those same taxes and the the other casually pretends not to notice......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

That's a little cynical there Raiser.

Look at it from the Gardai point of view for a minute. They only need to foot patrol the City any w/end night and sooner or later they'll come across some people up to no good. They arrest them, take them to station, do a load of paperwork, spend time in court, people get told not to do it again by Judge, everyone laughing at Gardai.
    Surely there must be an unwritten policy of not going after everyone on the street. Otherwise the system would grind to a halt.
    I don't have a solution but when I was a kid the local Gardai would whack you a few times and that was it.

• Advertisement

..but when I was a kid the local Gardai would whack you a few times and that was it.

unfortunately, like school teachers, they can't whack anyone anymore, which is a shame..fight fire with fire...

If there was the fear of hard labour, or the electric chair, or deportation to Van Diemens land :eek: I wonder what the crime rate would be like..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Raiser wrote: »
    Car?
    where they cash their pay cheques from our taxes and the scum of Limerick cash the dole cheques from our taxes - while all the while

Speaking of the Dole and the dole office....I hear when the doors opened yesterday some girl
    was knocked to the ground and trampled on by the crowd rushing to sign and feck off again. An Ambulance needed to be called for her.

With regards to the Gardai. I've seen less of them about on patrol since these
    CCTV cameras have been installed. There is no visual deterrent or a visual prescience
    of the Gardai on our streets. I dont understand why they cant have more patrols out there.
    especially when night clubs end or at weekends etc when its busier.

Middle of the day I have seem scumbags kick the head off of each other
    in front of crowds of onlookers in William street, They dont care whos looking,
    or if they get arrested or if they are on CCTV. Crazy!

With regards to Gardai on the street. How many Garda members would people think
    would be enough to patrol the city center effectively? I dont think it would take that
    many.

A Team of 2 Garda members at the top of Catherine street could patrol the entire street.
    Its a long straight street where you can see a good long way into the distance.

maybe 4-6 to do the length of O'Connell Street,

4 more to patrol around the Market Areas, Another 4 to patrol around the docks
    and riverside area.

Thats not a lot of man power!

Id love to see more of the Cycle Cops! Very effective for patrolling in my opinion.
    ~B

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Car?

License Plate?

CCTV?

Known to the Gardaí?

Pity it didn't happen in the lobby of Henry St. Garda Station at 3pm on a Mon. morning - they might have gotten a very serious caution then :mad:

Limerick Gardaí are piloting a new and unique crime avoidance scheme for the past number of decades. Its a kind of live and let live system where they cash their pay cheques from our taxes and the scum of Limerick cash the dole cheques from our taxes - while all the while one group terrorise the people who pay those same taxes and the the other casually pretends not to notice......

I know you're trying to vent feelings on a pretty serious problem, but quite honestly you sound paranoid. The Gardaí Síochchána are not involved in a massive conspiracy against the good honest folk of Limerick City. That accusation just sounds ridiculous.

It's a problem that stems from resources being focused on the much more far-reaching problem of organised crime in the cities of Ireland. Most man-power is going into the anti-drug and anti-weaponry importation operations, as well as dealing with the pre-existing feuds.

I appreciate that this can cause problems for the little guy (i.e. you, me and any other person out for the craic at night) but that's something that every major population centre has to deal with. Petty crime such as robbery and minor* assault are commonplace and always have been. It has nothing to do with you paying your taxes.

*I use the term minor loosely, unprovoked violent attacks are deplorable no matter what the severity

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

try any of that ****e in N.Y.C. and see what happenes, 2 cops on every corner, ans they dont take any of this

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

old boy wrote: »
    try any of that ****e in N.Y.C. and see what happenes, 2 cops on every corner, ans they dont take any of this

Number of Gardaí killed nationwide between 1922 and 1999: 31
    Number of NYPD killed in New York between 1806 and 2007: 758

Average per year = 0.4
    Average per year = 3.7

Even taking away the 23 killed in 9/11, there's a pretty obvious difference: the criminals there don't take any shit either.

edit/ wiki puts the population of NYC at roughly 8.5 million, Ireland as a whole at 4.5 million.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I think there may be a few more people in New York, so not sure how your figures help. (People get attacked most weekends in most town in Ireland I would imagine). Just because your friend got attacked doesn't mean everyone should avoid the area.

Saying that you should always be aware of your surroundings, and quite often late at night some people are a bit worse for wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

An Fhile wrote: »
    I know you're trying to vent feelings on a pretty serious problem, but quite honestly you sound paranoid. The Gardaí Síochchána are not involved in a massive conspiracy against the good honest folk of Limerick City. That accusation just sounds ridiculous.
    <SNIP>

My earlier post was admittedly packaged for impact, but in all fairness it was then misrepresented and misconstrued by your odd interpretation.

When it comes down to brass tacks though, there is a widespread and generally held perception that the Gardaí are not fulfilling one of their key duties of care to the public at large on the streets of our Towns and Cities. Limerick is a salient example - and I've witnessed it first hand many times from Assault to Ambulance to Emergency room.

- Please note the absence of Statements, Arrest and Conviction here - you'd be more likely to witness a Unicorn on a Pogo stick.....

Let the Chefs cook, the Bakers bake, the Mechanics fix cars & the Gardaí uphold the law and defend our Citizens..... If they cannot abide by the fundamental principles and duties of their job then they should stop accepting a Garda wage and just become a Steeplejack or some other bloody thing.....

Sorry Raiser, I obviously took your post the wrong way.

My concern is that the problem of petty street crime is not confined strictly to the city centre. Gangs of children and teenagers are collecting around the suburbs and city housing estates causing just as much trouble as the older, more aggresive perpetrators of these late-night attacks.
    A garda from Mayorstone visited my house last year (I had applied for the Age Card and forgotten to supply an important detail on the form, so he had come to clear that up.) He stayed for about ten minutes chatting with myself and my parents, and I was surprised to learn that my own estate had been categorised as a priority area. The numbers of complaints from local residents has sky-rocketed. Extra man-power is being demanded in places where serious crime is not yet a problem, but the level of (hideously labelled, in my opinion) anti-social behaviour is massively increasing.
    The Gardaí are working for their wages. The problem is that they're being made to do the disciplinary duties that parents are failing to do. My own peers set a bad example for successive generations of their younger neighbours. These kids are taking boldness to new and worrying levels as they grow older, and it's my opinion that their parents don't care. As such, police presence is being felt more and more in my immediate locality, rather than outside nightclubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

it's all psychological i'd say. a bit over a year ago we got attacked by some scumbags at the treaty stone on an early sunday afternoon (broad daylight). we were walking there and out of the blue glass bottles were thrown after us. since then i've been never again on clancy's strand.

it might sound a bit bit silly maybe...

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

On a related story...
    Friday 12 September 2008 07:40

Limerick youth attacks students

An 18 year old man is due in court in Limerick later this morning charged in connection with robbing three students at knifepoint in the city centre overnight.

The teen accosted the students on Roches Street around 2.20am and threatened to stab them if they did not hand over their valuables.

Gardai patrolling the area came across the incident and the youth was arrested and taken to Henry Street Garda station where he was detained under Section 4 of the Criminal Justice Act.
    He had three mobile phones, a sum of cash and a wallet belonging to one of the students on his person when he was arrested.

Gardai say he will be charged with certain offences relating to the incident at Limerick District Court later this morning while a file will be sent to the DPP in relation to other offences.

So it seems the police are around the odd time at least. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

MarkR wrote: »
    So it seems the police are around the odd time at least. ;)

Some good news although I wont hold my breath with regards to the
    sentence he will receive.

(Apologies for being Cynical)
    Oh Judge I've got 15 Kids to feed, a Pregnant girlfriend I'm addicted to drugs
    and I was only trying to feed my habit...and I cant get a job.

OK ...heres a suspended sentence of 3 months. Your free to go.
    Dont do it again. Goodbye......Next!!!!

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Time to give the cops a break I think in fairness. This was good work by them.

Take up yeer grievances with the judiciary.

2008-02--17.jpg

:P

Sorry, couldn't let that one go!

It's great to hear that story MarkR posted. It's just a shame that Bullets' satirical reply is actually a pretty close take on the reality of sentencing in this country at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭pucan

Limerick Gardaí are piloting an interesting and unique crime avoidance scheme for the past number of decades. Its a kind of live and let live system where they cash their pay cheques from our taxes and the scum of Limerick cash the dole cheques from our taxes - while all the while one group terrorise the people who pay those same taxes and the the other casually pretends not to notice......
    - Please note the absence of Statements, Arrest and Conviction here - you'd be more likely to witness a Unicorn on a Pogo stick.....

Perhaps you should spend a number of hours in the public gallery of the circuit court to see the numbers of scumbags being released on probation or
    with slaps on the wrist.
    The judicary and lack of prison space are the problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭utick

Car?

License Plate?

CCTV?

Known to the Gardaí?

Pity it didn't happen in the lobby of Henry St. Garda Station at 3pm on a Mon. evening - they might have gotten a very serious caution then :mad:

in fairness now that is a bit harsh, they did manage to catch a 12 year old girl last night in a stolen van after she drove outside the station without lights and started beeping. http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/Limerick-12yearold-girl-alleged-to.4495561.jp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Dunno if this was reported anywhere but on my way home last driving down henry st I saw what i thought were 2 guys having a scrap just up past the traffic lights where you turn right to go down Henry St and straight on to go to Jurys Inn, it was only when i looked again in my rearview mirror at the next set of lights i saw it was a guy giving a young girl an absolute kicking, I mean really laying into her while she was lying on the ground, i drove around that way again while trying to dial henry st station to see if anyone had stepped in and she'd obviously legged it to henry st herself as 4 or 5 guards were talking to them both outside, seems getting attacked right outside a garda station guarantees a quick response, lets hope the cops gave him a kicking as well what a disgusting thing to do to a woman

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

utick wrote: »
    in fairness now that is a bit harsh, they did manage to catch a 12 year old girl last night in a stolen van after she drove outside the station without lights and started beeping. http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/Limerick-12yearold-girl-alleged-to.4495561.jp

*pictured in my mind........*

Gard: "Is this yor vee-hicle?"

Girl: "Fook yoo gardee!" *meep..meeeeeeep*

Gard: "Well, oyl let ye off this time young lady, but make sure ye turn dem loights on"

Girl: "CHASE ME YOO GOWEL!" *meeeeeeeeeeep*

Gard: *chuckles* "Now arent you a noisy young wan, run along home now"

Girl: "I SAYED FOOKIN CHAYUS ME" *meeeeep meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep*

Gard: *goes back inside*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭roakey

Look at it from the Gardai point of view for a minute. They only need to foot patrol the City any w/end night and sooner or later they'll come across some people up to no good. They arrest them, take them to station, do a load of paperwork, spend time in court, people get told not to do it again by Judge, everyone laughing at Gardai.
    Surely there must be an unwritten policy of not going after everyone on the street. Otherwise the system would grind to a halt.
    I don't have a solution but when I was a kid the local Gardai would whack you a few times and that was it.

in all fairness that is their job, paperwork on no paperwork. whether they are laughed at or not, they are meant to protect the people of this city, not watch and wait til it is over then offer asistance.

the cops in this town are a disgrace, they would rather arrest someone innocent for something stupid than actually help someone in distress

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

Sun came out today, may be reason for checkpoint on Croom road. Must have been about 8 Gardai there with technical equip. for weighing trucks. Takes great discipline not to ask them why they don't make the same efforts at curbing crime in City and county.
    Modern technology can be used to catch people without tax and insurance.

Moderators; it might be worth starting a Limerick crime topic, to which people can add comments as events occur.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

I agree completely with you,

/Rant
    we need some means to voice the opinions of people who wish to be heard. There's no point in talking to councilors, politicians, gardai etc, it seems to be in vain.

Limerick has had a crime problem for a very very long time, yet as the years pass, more and more people complain about the establishment not doing anything about it, but it all seems to fall on deaf ears.

What exactly will it take before something is done about these people who seem to ignore any form of law? How many people exactly will have to get knifed/shot/mugged, dragged by the hair up a street?

The gardai are cuffed with their own system of 'law'. They know exactly whats going on and who's behind it, but woe betide the garda that mistreats one of our upstanding criminals while they're being chauffeur driven to their holiday home on Mulgrave Street.

What exactly happened to the 'pay for your crime' philosophy? Today these people are sent to "prison" where we feed, cloth, and keep them warm. We give them TVs (in case they miss the late late), We allow them mobile phones and budgies. Here they spend time chatting, getting to know more 'lads'. some might say they are on a networking retreat.

Why aren't they out working, cleaning streets or some such constructive work? Prisoners rights???...As far as I'm concerned, once you cross that line you loose all your rights.

/End rant

Xennon wrote: »
    I agree completely with you,

/Rant
    we need some means to voice the opinions of people who wish to be heard. There's no point in talking to councilors, politicians, gardai etc, it seems to be in vain.

Limerick has had a crime problem for a very very long time, yet as the years pass, more and more people complain about the establishment not doing anything about it, but it all seems to fall on deaf ears.

What exactly will it take before something is done about these people who seem to ignore any form of law? How many people exactly will have to get knifed/shot/mugged, dragged by the hair up a street?

The gardai are cuffed with their own system of 'law'. They know exactly whats going on and who's behind it, but woe betide the garda that mistreats one of our upstanding criminals while they're being chauffeur driven to their holiday home on Mulgrave Street.

What exactly happened to the 'pay for your crime' philosophy? Today these people are sent to "prison" where we feed, cloth, and keep them warm. We give them TVs (in case they miss the late late), We allow them mobile phones and budgies. Here they spend time chatting, getting to know more 'lads'. some might say they are on a networking retreat.

Why aren't they out working, cleaning streets or some such constructive work? Prisoners rights???...As far as I'm concerned, once you cross that line you loose all your rights.

/End rant

Blame the E.U, U.N and human rights movements for these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭carlowguy32

I think the gardai do an excellent job, my windows and car was vandalised, they were out in a few minutes, i know there was nothing they could do to catch the scum but they were so helpful and left me phone numbers and stuff and got the CCTV people tp point a camera on my house for a few weeks, they have to put up with so much cheek and aggression form these young thugs, i dont know what they are paid but you would have to pay me double to listen to the scum bags and their so called rights, with their free houses and free dole, get a job and have some respect for yourself.

cops should be allowed beat them! bring back hard labour or chain gangs, get them breaking rocks somewhere...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

The problem is the Courts, and the Government for not building enough prisons for the Courts to use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Sun came out today, may be reason for checkpoint on Croom road. Must have been about 8 Gardai there with technical equip. for weighing trucks. Takes great discipline not to ask them why they don't make the same efforts at curbing crime in City and county.
    Modern technology can be used to catch people without tax and insurance.

Moderators; it might be worth starting a Limerick crime topic, to which people can add comments as events occur.
    Because that was traffic corp.

I think the guards do a good job with what they have, they cant be everywhere at once, and a phonecall usually gets them there in a matter of minutes. for example a few months ago while waiting for a taxi outside our apartment block wee noticed two uong fellas tryin the doros of cars and lookin into them. called henry street, within 30 seconds there was a car there, with a wagon a minute later. the guys were in the back of the wagon and on their way to the station in 3 minutes.
    Other times, I've called for fights, or drink driving, and always a similarily fast response. Even that car hijacking at the groody roundabout on monday, they had that guy caught in no time, even though he tried to ram a garda checkpoint.
    Sure crime is a huge issue in this city, but the cops are working as hard as they can at it, maybe more-so than in the past. the real finger of blame needs to be pointed at the court system, and our lousy council who allowed this problem to fester for years, practically funding the gangs by giving them free houses and a loyal customer base for their drugs.

Advertisement