Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Savage attack on catherine/thomas street

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Rogue0605

zuroph wrote: »
    ok, can we be very careful to not point the finger of blame at anyone yet? We don't know if someone is involved purely because they have a dark VW car. let alone start naming people!! lets not jump the gun, and distract from getting this sorted.
    also, rogue, lets not tarnish them all with the experience of one.

Its not "just one" thats the third situation I have heard of in one week where the guards "really couldn't be bothered":(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

jenny, you still reading here? any truth in the rumour i heard last night that, because you flagged down a cop car instead of ringing it in, there is now "no record" of your assault report?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

@Rogue0605,
    Do you think that the Gardai have a patrol car waiting to be called out at any given time? They don't. They are always out on call. The reason for them not reponding to that incident may be that something more serious may have been in progress elsewhere. We don't know. Also, how do you know that the Gardai didn't know the mugger(s) and arrested them at a later date? It happens regurarly.

I find it amusing whenever I hear stories like the above as usually they begin with; 'I heard recently...' or 'My friend told me...'. If I had a cent for every time I've heard someone give about the Gardai, to then say 'my friend told me it happened'. Chinese whispers.

Btw, I'm not disagreeing with the fact these attacks are a major issue, I just don't believe in singling out the Gardai who are overstrecthed to the point that they must prioritise calls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Rogue0605

eroo wrote: »
    @Rogue0605,

your quote ....""Are you serious? The Gardai are all around town everyday. On a Saturday night, you cannot go 5 mins without seeing a patrol car. Also, they have plenty of uniform and plain clothes Gardai patrolling in unmarked cars, you just don't realize it""".

Well where were they the night I just spoke about. ?

As for prioritizing calls, had these scumbags stabbed the boy as they said, it would have been serious then. And as for arresting them later... it could have been too late!

It was the man that made the call who told me this. This isn't a Case of Chinese whispers,
    I am a decent person, I work for what I have, pay my taxes, have never been in trouble with the law and try and life my life as best i can. I would like nothing better than to have faith in the legal system but I'm afraid to say that Because of thing that have happened to me or my family or friends, in the past, and the guards really didn't care I cannot have faith in the people who are meant to protect us.

bump

I recieved a letter in the post from Willie O Dea about a week ago in reply to my email above. it read;
    Dear Mike,

further to your email recieved 25th October 2008, please note that I have made representation on your behalf with an Garda Siochána, Henry Street, Limerick.

I will keep you posted on developments in this regard Mike and thank you for your vigilence in this matter.

Yours sincerely,
    Willie O' Dea T.D.
    Minister for Defence

This morning, I recieved this,again by post;
    Dear Mike,

Further to your recent email I have made representation on your behalf with Henry Street Gardaí.

Your comments were taken very seriously as were those of the other member of the chat room to which you subscribe. I can now confirm that the incident referred to on Catherine/Thomas street has been persued and arrests have been made. In fact a file is now awaiting examination by the DPP. The Gardaí have worked swiftly in pursuing this case and in locating the responsible culprits.

I hope this clarifies matters for you Mike, however should you wish to make any further comments or require and further assistance please to no hesitate to contact me

Yours Sincerely,
    Willie O'Dea T.D.
    Minister for Defence

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Aboy Willie!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Urge to vote .... rising.

Make sure they do it properly from now on Willie and you definitely have my vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Fair play...

willies vote depends on shannon airport now. but, yes, has gained brownie points there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

thats the job!!! go on out of that willie!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

I've just read the thread in it's entirity, I'm thankful my first choice course was not in Limerick IT!

I just wonder what charges the culprits (and will their be multiple charges?) will face and what penalty we can expect to see?

Great result but I'm somewhat cynical.

I don't want to derail this thread and at the same time start a bashing bandwagon, but I feel my points/questions are valid.

Why was the same action not taken by the Gardai prior to political pressure?

Eroo raises some valid points however, in the context of the VW incidents the general impression that has been portrayed by numerous victims is that their reports were not received with any sense of gravity, quite the opposite and notably in a highly inappropriate and unprofessional manner.

Eroo is right, most often in these cases the Gardai have their hands tied, however there was a critical lack of common sense/judgement in this case. This was a serious public threat that needed to be dealt with swiftly. By allowing this anti-social behaviour to occur over and over again in a small proximity (my facts might be wrong here as I'm not entirely familiar with some of the areas) will only embolden such behaviour and increase the risk to general public.

In this case I cannot agree with your points Eroo.

I could take your argument and turn it around with... if I had a penny for everytime I heard the Gardai retort to negative criticism with your line of defence, almost seems to be a crutch in some cases.

From a Garda standpoint I can understand why it's tough not only to have to deal with the everyday low life scumb but then you have to take an ear full from the public you are serving. It's understandable why you would be annoyed but sometimes you have to hold your hand up and accept responsibility in errors of judgement or other.

I'd like to end the post by mentioning that i'm most certainly not in the Garda bashing corner, contrary to that I have nothing but the utmost respect for the Gardai Siochana.

Anyway back on topic.

****ing scumbags, I hope they get what they deserve.

Samba

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 568 ✭✭✭TheLoc

Samba wrote: »
    I've just read the thread in it's entirity, I'm thankful my first choice course was not in Limerick IT!

I just wonder what charges the culprits (and will their be multiple charges?) will face and what penalty we can expect to see?

Great result but I'm somewhat cynical.

I don't want to derail this thread and at the same time start a bashing bandwagon, but I feel my points/questions are valid.

Why was the same action not taken by the Gardai prior to political pressure?

Eroo raises some valid points however, in the context of the VW incidents the general impression that has been portrayed by numerous victims is that their reports were not received with any sense of gravity, quite the opposite and notably in a highly inappropriate and unprofessional manner.

Eroo is right, most often in these cases the Gardai have their hands tied, however there was a critical lack of common sense/judgement in this case. This was a serious public threat that needed to be dealt with swiftly. By allowing this anti-social behaviour to occur over and over again in a small proximity (my facts might be wrong here as I'm not entirely familiar with some of the areas) will only embolden such behaviour and increase the risk to general public.

In this case I cannot agree with your points Eroo.

I could take your argument and turn it around with... if I had a penny for everytime I heard the Gardai retort to negative criticism with your line of defence, almost seems to be a crutch in some cases.

From a Garda standpoint I can understand why it's tough not only to have to deal with the everyday low life scumb but then you have to take an ear full from the public you are serving. It's understandable why you would be annoyed but sometimes you have to hold your hand up and accept responsibility in errors of judgement or other.

I'd like to end the post by mentioning that i'm most certainly not in the Garda bashing corner, contrary to that I have nothing but the utmost respect for the Gardai Siochana.

Anyway back on topic.

****ing scumbags, I hope they get what they deserve.

Samba
    "I've just read the thread in it's entirity, I'm thankful my first choice course was not in Limerick IT! "

Why are you glad?

I went to LIT for 4 years. was perfectly fine...

Was in st.nessans for 5 years before that, I got jumped a few times there by some dirty drugged up scum who were in there 20's. They just robbed my phone (twice) but they didn't really hurt me.

LIT is fine. UL is actually worse. The farmers out there have got no common sense at all and have no respect for anyone around them. or manners. Anyway this is nothing to do with the thread sorry. Just thought I would put it out there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

Jumpy wrote: »
    Urge to vote .... rising.

Make sure they do it properly from now on Willie and you definitely have my vote.

They had it done before he contacted them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

TheLoc wrote: »
    "I've just read the thread in it's entirity, I'm thankful my first choice course was not in Limerick IT! "

Why are you glad?

I went to LIT for 4 years. was perfectly fine...

Was in st.nessans for 5 years before that, I got jumped a few times there by some dirty drugged up scum who were in there 20's. They just robbed my phone (twice) but they didn't really hurt me.

LIT is fine. UL is actually worse. The farmers out there have got no common sense at all and have no respect for anyone around them. or manners. Anyway this is nothing to do with the thread sorry. Just thought I would put it out there :)

Would have to agree with the Loc on that one, students in LIT seem more mature than that of the University

Advertisement