Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you boycott restaurants that include a Service Charge

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

xbox36016 wrote: »
    no i do it as a parttime job and i like but yous assholes like paple on this topic thank thare god one thay go out to eat

Can someone translate that into readable English?
    I got the first bit but the next two thirds has me scratching my head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭xbox36016

ya you do have to tip italy if you no that its the law

• Registered Users Posts: 17,436 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I tip my hairdresser for a job well done if I'm happy with it and I feel she :D took the time to do it properly.
    I tip the poor sods in the jacks..not so much here but in the UK as it's a **** job and I know they get fvckall and loads of abuse.
    However I will not tip in a restaurent with a service charge. As far as I'm concerned I've already tipped them and it's not my problem restaurant owners are too greedy to pay their staff properly.
    If there's no service charge then I will tip if my food has been cooked to my liking and I was happy with the service.
    Only once have I refused to tip and that's because twice I had to send my steak back as I wasn't done the way I asked for it. I like it very well done...not rare and not medium as I got it. The waitress wasn't much help either and had a poor attitude.

restaurant owners are too greedy no thay are not its hard times you now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

no i do it as a parttime job and i like but yous assholes like paple on this topic thank thare god one thay go out to eat
    Help! Can anybody translate?

• Advertisement

yes evary one who comes in to a restaurants likes to god and i say god get me this and that and this thay do not evan no what veal come on

Boy but you're full of it! Firstly you cannot impose a law that requires customers to tip. You can have a madatory service charge but that is a completely different matter and still doesn't apply to Italy. You're posting with grown ups here so don't try to bluff!

The setup in Italy is:
    "In Italy service is normally included in the restaurant or bar bill, and additionally in most restaurants the so-called "coperto" (cover charge), which ranges from 1 to 3 euros, depending on the restaurant, is automatically added to the check...If you were given an outstanding service, a good tip will make the staff happy, but you are not "compelled" to do so."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Look around, do you see millions of people on scooters? Olive groves? The Colliseum perhaps?

If the answer to these questions is no then I'm pretty sure you aren't in Italy.

I ask you again, do you tip the lads that work in the local chipper or in the car wash? Same minimum wage service industry employment.

Please learn to spell and form sentences or you will likely still be here in ten years complaining about another min. wage job.

yes evary one who comes in to a restaurants likes to god and i say god get me this and that and this thay do not evan no what veal come on

Again, gibberish.:mad:
    I take it that you think customers feel they are Gods and far too demanding. I think you're in the wrong line of work, kid. I'm surprised you haven't been sacked long before now. Have you every heard of service? Do you expect tips with the type of attitude you clearly have? Come on, grow up!

FFS, not being smart but is English your first language?

If it's not then I can make allowances but if it is.........

• Advertisement

ya can not be sakad so thare becase i have bing thare a year:D

This gets better and better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

If it's not then I can make allowances but if it is........
    He is slightly illiterate but you can still understand him. Would you rather he just didn't bother posting at all?

Again, learn your facts before posting such nonsense. I'm not going in to all the labour laws concerned here now.

It's gone a quarter to two shouldn't you be in class right now. I don't think 5th year students (I use the term lightly here) get Friday afternoons off. It could be time well spent if you have English today. :D

He is slightly illiterate but you can still understand him. Would you rather he just didn't bother posting at all?

Absolutely, because he has nothing to add and is trolling around the Boards talking nonsense.

Slightly illeterate?

xbox36016 wrote:

Care to translate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭KhanTheMan

Help! Can anybody translate?

I think he was trying to say "Less of the xbox and more school." :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭HarryD

Including a service charge also rubs me up the wrong way.
    I've been to places where the service was terrible,
    and then to get a bill with service included is unacceptable.
    On many occasions I leave payment excluding service and leave.
    Including service defeats the whole purpose of the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭NewApproach

What is wrong with the concept of the restaurateurs simply paying their staff a proper, fair wage, instead of expecting the clients to pay it for them?

Staff in a retail shop are paid a fair wage by their employers, and do not expect tips, so why should it be any different in a restaurant?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

I tip my hairdresser for a job well done if I'm happy with it and I feel she :D took the time to do it properly.
    Did you not pay your hairdresser to do a good job in the first place? Do you not return and thus reward your hairdresser because he/she does a good job?
    I tip the poor sods in the jacks..not so much here but in the UK as it's a **** job and I know they get fvckall and loads of abuse.
    But what are they doing there? They hand me a piece of tissue to dry my hands -wtf - how hard is it for me to get the tissue myself (actually it would be easier if he wasnt standing in the way).
    If there's no service charge then I will tip if my food has been cooked to my liking and I was happy with the service.
    You already paid for food to be cooked for your liking and normal/decent service why feel the need to pay more.
    Only once have I refused to tip and that's because twice I had to send my steak back as I wasn't done the way I asked for it. I like it very well done...not rare and not medium as I got it. The waitress wasn't much help either and had a poor attitude.
    Instead of just refusing to tip you should have complained to let the manager know so that things can be improved.

• Advertisement

What is wrong with the concept of the restaurateurs simply paying their staff a proper, fair wage, instead of expecting the clients to pay it for them?
    They do considering they get at least 8.65 per hour.

Tipping is actually counter productive for waiters in a way since it gives power to the management to say - sorry I aint giving you a raise since you are also earning tips evening though extra earnings from tips is not as reliable as a wage increase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

On top of their minimum €8+ an hour any tips will just be non-declared cash in hand income. People who tip are contributing to tax fraud.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Just be glad this isnt America where you're expected to tip everyone for everything, if a barman hands you a beer, tip required, if a cab driver brings you where you asked and charged you accordingly, tip required, i tip waiters and watiresses if they're nice because

a- its a **** job where you spend your day handing people food to shovel into their mouths who may not realise the person waiting on you is also dealing with possibly dozens of other customers and may be more than ten seconds getting you something

b-you probably get paid next to nothing to work in ajob you pobably and most likely hate

krudler wrote: »
    a- its a **** job where you spend your day handing people food to shovel into their mouths who may not realise the person waiting on you is also dealing with possibly dozens of other customers and may be more than ten seconds getting you something
    Do you also tip those working stacking shelves in supermarkets or cleaners?
    b-you probably get paid next to nothing to work in ajob you pobably and most likely hate
    Why would someone work in a job they hate? There are, contrary to popular belief, plenty of other jobs available - especially minimum wage jobs.

Eh, it's not the customers problem that being a waiter/waitress is a sh!te job.

I also tip if the waiter/waitress is nice but I feel under absolutely no obligation to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

Having worked in a restaurant of a well known hotel group once, the service charge had nothing to do with tips in this particular chain. The service charge was what paid the staff's wages, and if any of that was left at the end of the year (which was rare), it would then be distributed amongst the full-time staff who had been there for a minimum of one full year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

That poll is worded ridiculously badly. I would like to make up my own mind, but time by time - I wouldn't nessecarily boycott.

I voted yes because I felt it suited best - but the wording needs revision.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

I've often avoided places I used to go regularly once they introduced a service charge. Except for the odd time if I'm in a hurry, and the only place nearby has a service charge, but then there's no way I'm leaving a tip - most people I know feel the same way about that aspect.

Every single time I've ever paid a service charge, it's been less than I would have left as a tip if there was no charge.

I would have thought a lot of waiting staff would be against service charges.
    Even if it is passed through to the staff (no guarantee), it's often less than people would have tipped if they weren't forced into it. There's no incentive for good service, so a lazy sod who does nothing is getting the same as someone doing a good job.

All it is is a way for restaurants to make their prices look lower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Stupid poll with retarded wording.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

I think if tipping is mandatory it defeats the purpose. The point is its the customers choice if they feel the service was good enough to be rewarded and if the service was not good enough to be rewarded then - no tip.

If its mandatory the good and bad service staff both get the same level of reward per customer and there is no actual incentive. I think Ireland has a long way to go to understanding basic customer service.

Restaurants in Ireland are already ridiculously more expensive than say . .. the continent (insert excuses here). They should pay staff a decent wage and leave the tipping (whether to and how much) up to their customers.

Advertisement