Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you boycott restaurants that include a Service Charge

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

axer wrote: »
    They do considering they get at least 8.65 per hour.

The reason tips are 15% - 20% in the US is because waiting staff are only paid $3.50 an hour and are expected to make the rest of their wage up in tips. For some reason some Irish wait staff seem to think that because tips are 15%-20% in the US this also means that they are entitled to high tips in Ireland despite the fact that they could be earning THREE times as much as someone in the US

xbox36016 wrote: »
    whare you evar a waiter its not ass esay ass you might think and i nead to get my 10% to make ends meat so thare

Ah, the sweet stench of entitlement in the morning. Jeez, if you are finding it hard to make ends meet then start cutting back on things that aren't necessary. A lot of people have had to tighten their belts, why should it be any different for you?

And by the way, it would be a good idea to go over your posts in order to catch any spelling mistakes. Your post makes you sound like you dropped out of school early, that or you're one of those people that deliberately misspell things in order to look cool or something, if this is the case I'd like to point out that it doesn't make you look cool, it makes you look like a sad git.

Were you ever a waiter its not as easy as you might think and I need to get my 10% (which I'm not really entitled to, to begin with) to make ends meet so there

ya you do have to tip italy if you no that its the law

Then go live in ****ing Italy then!

FFS, I ****ing hate entitled people

Help! Can anybody translate?

no i do it as a parttime job and i like but you assholes like paple (people) on this topic thank thare (their) god one thay (they) go out to eat

Oh, he's butthurt that he can't afford to eat out in restaurants and is jealous of the people that can. Nevermind the fact that some of those people might be cutting back in other areas of their budgets in order to be able to eat out

ya can not be sakad so thare becase i have bing thare a year:D

You cannot be sacked so there because I have been there a year

I think I'm just going to correct his spelling for him

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

Guys its just an attention seeker

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=57233136#post57233136

apparently he owns a 08 3 series and thats only 30% of what he has :rolleyes:

so its clear we are definitely paying too much for service charge then.

Service charge isn't something you order off a menu. If you have to pay for your food to arrive on your table from the kitchen i'd prefer to be given the option to get it myself. I don't think a mandatory service charge is acceptable personally if i got great service and service charge was on the bill i would be less likely to give a tip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Demonique wrote: »
    Your post makes you sound like you dropped out of school early, that or you're one of those people that deliberately misspell things in order to look cool or something, if this is the case I'd like to point out that it doesn't make you look cool, it makes you look like a sad git.

This particular nimwit is just going in to 5th year secondary school, according to himself on another thread. I dispair for our education system!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Don't feed the trolls, that's what the ignore button is for.

I grew up in Killarney and worked in Hotels, I've worked in five star hotels, nightclubs and everything in-between, functions, galway races etc. I went to collge and worked in hotels and bars there, I've worked in Bars and restaurants in Boston and from experience:

The US minimum pay was 1.75 an hour at the time for tipping jobs and 6 for non tipping jobs. Most people would tip 15-20% depending whereas business lunches would almost always tip 10%.

In Ireland, Irish people generally don't tip. In hotels, it's very rare as the meals can be included in the package people are staying at.

There is no hard and fast rules. Some people are generous and lovely and some people just like to complain. It's amazing really. I think tipping is a cultural thing. Americans do it automatically alright but I'll tell you one thing you will get a MUCH higher service in the States. Yes Americans tip but they generally have a discretion between 10-25% and when you're wage is non-existent you work much harder for that extra 5%.

One of the reasons I personally think that Irish service is so poor is that there is no incentive for the staff to go out of their way. I've seen lots of Irish people get sterling service, an outstanding meal and tip a small amount or nothing at all. There are exceptions but generally it holds true. It's not just the Irish, Europeans in general are very poor tippers. Having said that the price of restaurants in Ireland is ridulous compared to the continent.

Even the poll options raised an eyebrow- they have a subjective caveat. Yes we should boycott or no we should not be allowed decide. I dodn't vote as it's pointless, one's only going to go one way there.

The one thing that struck me when I moved to Dublin is that the service is so poor, REALLY poor. Maybe I'm from a tourist town where people make their bread and butter on repeat tourism but it's shocking how crap the service is up here. I have a favourite restaurant I go to with my ex girlfriend just to see what the staff balls up. It's become like a game and in two years of going every few weeks not once have they not either under/over charged us, left stuff off, added extra items to the bill, forgotten the food etc. It's entertaining actually after a while.

I'm glad I'm graduated and in a proper job but years in the service industry have given me an appreciation for what people who do that for a living have to go through. The abuse that some jumped up little muppet can decide to dole out because the chef screwed up and you are at the coalface. For those that are flinging comments out like "get another job", let me tell you I did. I moved from so many hotels and bars because of a-hole managers, ridulous work practices, poor customers etc. In the end I think they are all the same. It's crap conditions for crap money for crap customers. Occassionally you will get a wonderful experience and you'll make some great friends but it's a crap existence. I can say wholeheatly though Hotels are the worst of the lot and the 5 star was the worst place I ever worked and not because of the people staying who were in the main lovely but because of the long term staff who made a habit out of stealing your tips and being a-holes on a general basis. I suppose being surrounded by money and being on such poor wages had twisted them in some way.

Anyway that's just my 2 cents, as for the 10% service charger- there is a lot of work involved in large parties and to be honest Irish people would never tip 10% on a party of 20 if left to their own devices. Mostly it's shared between the cooks, kitchen staff, and waiters who do a lot of hard work and frankly I think deserve it. If the restaurant is putting it in their back burner I'd have it removed from the bill.

I'd be the same as most peole, crap service, crap tip. But I do reward good service and I mean 10-20% good when it's earned. The reaction of the staff tells me that this is still a rare treat in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

SetantaL wrote: »
    Anyway that's just my 2 cents, as for the 10% service charger- there is a lot of work involved in large parties and to be honest Irish people would never tip 10% on a party of 20 if left to their own devices. Mostly it's shared between the cooks, kitchen staff, and waiters who do a lot of hard work and frankly I think deserve it. If the restaurant is putting it in their back burner I'd have it removed from the bill.
    Which is more work, 20 seperate customers or 20 in a group? You would think that restaurants should be giving discounts to groups instead of charging extra. Hardly encouraging groups to visit a restaurant, is it?

Ireland has a high minimum wage which means tipping is neither necessary or expected.

Ireland has a high minimum wage which means tipping is neither necessary or expected

That's the attitude of most people that gives service staff no incentive to provide good service.

Enjoy it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

That's the attitude of most people that gives service staff no incentive to provide good service.

Enjoy it.
    How about repeat business? Less business = less work = layoffs. Is that not enough?

Other industries don't need any other incentitive to give good service other maybe bonuses by managers or wage increases. What makes restaurant workers so special?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

Is it just me that has an old fashioned idea of doing the job that you're paid to do?

I'm not saying that people aren't doing the job that they are paid for or doing it poorly I'm just saying that amazing service comes from someone who is willing to go the extra mile and provide it. You get that in the states because there is an incentive there, you only get it here when the staff feel like it, otherwise all you get is functional service, not good, not bad, just bland. If people rewarded good service on a regular basis you might see more of it about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I'm not saying that people aren't doing the job that they are paid for or doing it poorly I'm just saying that amazing service comes from someone who is willing to go the extra mile and provide it. You get that in the states because there is an incentive there, you only get it here when the staff feel like it, otherwise all you get is functional service, not good, not bad, just bland. If people rewarded good service on a regular basis you might see more of it about.

You're still saying that people should be tipped for doing their job. The service should always be delivered properly. We all have jobs to do and the incentive to do a good job, or even to do the job required of us, is not in tips or a bonus, it's in ourselves. I'm not averse to leaving a tip but it shouldn't be expected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

Have to agree with the above post, ireland is not a tipping nation and the wages reflect this.

I work in the IT sector and take pride in my work but wouldnt expect my boss to leave a fiver on my desk at the end of the day if i had done a good job.

Advertisement