Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone know of any cereals with a better nutritional value than air?

Options
  • 09-09-2008 8:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭

I've been looking for a breakfast cereal than will give me a good start to the day and keep me going until lunchtime. However every cereal I try is pretty much like eating air- they all only have about 100 calories a bowl and a very low amount of protein and carbohydrates. So are there any cereals that buck this trend, or do I have to starve until lunchtime for the rest of my life? Or should I just have about 5 bowls of cereal before I leave the house?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭lindak

I make my own and in a large tub I mix, linseeds, seasame seeds, flax seeds, oat bran, wheat germs and use 3 tbps with some fruit and yogurt in the morning . It is so tasty and really healthy. And its handy when you have it all mixed for you in the tub.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭mack1

1. If you must have cereal - have porridge, the king of all cereal!
    2. If not, eggs are a great breakfast.
    3. Either way - there is no rule that says you cannot eat again til lunch. Personally, no matter what I eat for breakfast, I am hungry again in before lunch - add a mid-morning snack. I have porridge for breakfast and then some hard boiled eggs mid-morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭shamblertine

mack1 wrote: »
    1. If you must have cereal - have porridge, the king of all cereal!
    2. If not, eggs are a great breakfast.
    3. Either way - there is no rule that says you cannot eat again til lunch. Personally, no matter what I eat for breakfast, I am hungry again in before lunch - add a mid-morning snack. I have porridge for breakfast and then some hard boiled eggs mid-morning.

yeah I just don't have much time in my work to be taking time out to eat before lunchtime

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Then go for a good feed of eggs in the morning. Try eggs scrambled with cottage cheese for a high protein and tasty start to the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Colonel_Custard

I've been looking for a breakfast cereal than will give me a good start to the day and keep me going until lunchtime. However every cereal I try is pretty much like eating air- they all only have about 100 calories a bowl and a very low amount of protein and carbohydrates. So are there any cereals that buck this trend, or do I have to starve until lunchtime for the rest of my life? Or should I just have about 5 bowls of cereal before I leave the house?

Hi Has anyone Recomended Jordan's Country Crisp? i find it very tasty and its good for you that can fill you up. i hope you like oats and clusters and things like that. because thats what i suggest. oohh also i think it may be organic sooo you helping the earth too :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Colonel_Custard

lindak wrote: »
    I make my own and in a large tub I mix, linseeds, seasame seeds, flax seeds, oat bran, wheat germs and use 3 tbps with some fruit and yogurt in the morning . It is so tasty and really healthy. And its handy when you have it all mixed for you in the tub.

I also have that sometimes. it's really nice! i have it occasionally not often but its still delicious. :cool::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Hi Has anyone Recomended Jordan's Country Crisp? i find it very tasty and its good for you that can fill you up. i hope you like oats and clusters and things like that. because thats what i suggest. oohh also i think it may be organic sooo you helping the earth too :)

Be careful of the sugar content of these cereals though, anything with clusters in it tends to be loaded with with the stuff.

I second mack1's porridge/ eggs suggestion. If you're short on time either one are suitable, they take <2 mins to prepare and you can add all manner of funky yumminess to them: spinach/ tomato/ mushroom/ onion/ diced chicken or deli meat to the eggs; nuts/ seeds/ berries/ chopped fruit or dried fruit/ yoghurt to the porridge.

Delicious and nutritious. Ah now I'm hungry.... :\

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

yeah I just don't have much time in my work to be taking time out to eat before lunchtime

I have the same problem as you. I usually feel peckish mid-morning but am at work! However I find having a quick banana & drinking lots of water helps keep the hunger at bay until 1 o'clock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 jomag45

Also watch out for added salt in breakfast cereals.

g of salt per 100g of cereal:

Cheerios 1.2
    Rice Krispies 1.65
    All Bran 1.55
    Corn Flakes 1.8
    Weetabix 0.65
    Harvest Morn (Aldi Special-K equiv.) 1.55

Weetabix is the clear winner here.

But Shredded Wheat has no added salt or sugar.

The suggested serving on the packs is usually stated as 30g, but I think that's a bit on the low side. Assuming a serving of 50g, the actual salt consumed would be 0.32g for Weetabix and 0.9g for Cornflakes.

The recommended daily amount is usually quoted as 6g for an adult, with less for a child. So a single serving of Cornflakes has already given you almost 20% of your daily recommended limit.

I'd have to agree - Porridge is the king.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

What's the best brand of porridge then? Flahavans?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

they all only have about 100 calories a bowl
    Are you joking!!! most cereals are just junk food, they are loaded with calories, and most that seem low just quote a portion size that would barely cover the bottom of the bowl
    I get odlums, just becareful of very cheap ones, tesco have a "Value range" one
    which is very low in fibre, it is probably the leftovers from oats which have had the fibre stripped out for fibre supplements. They do the same with mushy peas, they are mushy since they are a byproduct after the protein and fibre is stripped out, then the bastards go and charge you more for it!

Just pick up any cheaper oats and compare side by side per 100g with odlums or flanhavans to spot any weird things

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

For me, the best oats are Flahvans Organic Jumbo Oats. Organic, Irish, great tasting & a €2 bag does me for about a month. Bargain.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

• breakfast: porridge or scrambled eggs
    • mid morning snack: boiled egg x2 (or3) & a few nuts / tuna / fruit
    • lunch: ....
    • mid afternoon snack: tuna / fruit / nuts / chopped veg
    • evening meal: ....
    • pre bed snack: chopped veg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

If you get bored of porridge and eggs try Southern Alps cereals.

http://www.southern-alps.co.uk/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

Have porridge with eggs.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Have porridge with eggs.

Liquidise your oats & eggs with milk and make pancakes.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Have porridge with eggs.

Do you mean mix the lot together, or just have both separately for breakfast?

I shudder to think what porridge and eggs together tastes like! Note to self - try it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

I find having a couple of boiled eggs followed by porridge is a pretty good breakfast. Never tried mixing them together.

BossArky wrote: »
    Do you mean mix the lot together, or just have both separately for breakfast?

I shudder to think what porridge and eggs together tastes like! Note to self - try it.

Throw some dry porridge into your blender for a couple of minutes, till it is the texture of wholegrain flour. Then use it like flour in your pancakes. After a while, you may decide not to blend so much for more texture.

Good idea Eileen. I'll try it out this weekend hopefully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭miss_shadow

mmm eggs and oats sounds quite nice!will try that 2moro morning.

as for breakfast's that fill you up until lunch time i'd have to say anything which comes in a form of the fried breakfast but it is really unhealthy so i eat 1 weetabix, the tesco's weight watcher make.

toast , boiled egg and soldiers, fruit smoothie with granola, banana and weetabix all fills you up. i think as long as it has a high fibre content it will keep you until 11.30am-12pm fills you up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 laughingtoaster

Flahavans muesli tastes good, its got flakes of oat, wheat & rye, plus seeds & dried fruit.

http://www.flahavans.com/product/readytoeat/hi8.htm

As well as having it as normal with milk, its nice to take in a container for work or travel as a snack or with a little pot of yogurt for a portable meal - better than filling station snadwiches

as for breakfast's that fill you up until lunch time i'd have to say anything which comes in a form of the fried breakfast but it is really unhealthy so i eat 1 weetabix, the tesco's weight watcher make.

toast , boiled egg and soldiers, fruit smoothie with granola, banana and weetabix all fills you up. i think as long as it has a high fibre content it will keep you until 11.30am-12pm fills you up

Hmm, interesting how fried is so unhealthy, but sauteed is fine! Fried does not have to be unhealthy, unless you are using horrible oils. How come a boiled or poached egg with a little butter is good, but an egg fried in a little butter is a heart attack on a plate?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

EileenG wrote: »
    Hmm, interesting how fried is so unhealthy, but sauteed is fine! Fried does not have to be unhealthy, unless you are using horrible oils. How come a boiled or poached egg with a little butter is good, but an egg fried in a little butter is a heart attack on a plate?

Probably because its not usually fried with a little butter...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Lady Lainy

Check out Special K sustain,

its fortified with extra protein, calorie intake per bowl is still quite low, but i found it kept me going till lunch time,

try having some fruit or a smoothie for breakfast too, really fills you up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

Davei141 wrote: »
    Probably because its not usually fried with a little butter...

exactly !!

Believe it or not, Organic Porridge is actually MUCH nicer thatn regular porridge, I didn't believe this till I tried it. For ease though, if you use a microwave (which I wouldn't!) get the oats so simple or quick oats or something, they have a measuring scoop etc so makes it easier.

Advertisement