Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chain Saw Blade Sharpener

• 09-09-2008 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭

My brother is looking for a chain saw blade sharpener. Can anyone reccommend one?

Thanks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Depends where you are using it, and what type of chain.
    The best option is the Oregon clamp on type, you will need a vise to use it though.
    Husky have a small roller type that slips on to the chain, but it only works with Oregon chain, you need to modify it for Stihl Chain.
    If you know what you are doing the file guide with a good sharp file are ok when used with a stump vise.

What type of chain is it 3/8 or .325?

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

Thanks for your reply. He has a Stihl MS 290 and he doesn't want the type where you have to file the chain yourself. He's a lazy sod who wants one which is as automatic as possible! :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

genie wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply. He has a Stihl MS 290 and he doesn't want the type where you have to file the chain yourself. He's a lazy sod who wants one which is as automatic as possible! :D

Its inevitable that you have to sharpen the chain- particularly if you are using the same chain for cutting different wood densities. Its not a big job to strip your saw and sharpen the chain after you use it, and should be done regularly. If he does not want to file the chain himself he can always get it done in any of the hire places (its only a few minutes work).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I sharpen chains all the time and what I know is that filing is the only way, there are grinders available but a basic model will still cost almost twice the price of a MS 290, and then the problem is chain life, grinders remove a lot of material in a very short space of time, and an untrained person operating a grinder will find that the chain will only last a short time before the cutting teeth have worn back to unusable levels.
    One other problem I have seen is that it is very easy to overheat the teeth ruining the temper and making them soft.
    I don't use grinders any more, after taking an almost new chain into the local shop and having it come back almost half ground away.
    Learn to file properly and you will not look back.

My advice FWIW.
    Keep the chain away from the ground! this is the fastest way to blunt teeth.
    Buy chains from the USA they are about 15 USD each there.
    Use semi-chisel for dirty wood, or full chisel for clean wood.
    Keep the chain sharp, have a couple spare and as soon as they dull swap the chain over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

+1 For CJ. it's very easy to screw up a chain using an electrical grinder. The clip on roller and file setup is a lot easier on the chain and you could be miles from a power supply and still be able to sharpen your saw. The only thing you have to pay attention to is clipping the rollers correctly on the bar and give the teeth a few sweeps with the file. Do this regularly and you won't need a grinder.

• Advertisement
Advertisement