Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rifle licence

Options
  • 09-09-2008 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

Hi,

could someone tell me the age you have to be to get a rifle licence please

Thanks in advance! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Dangerdunf

ok thanks im 17 and i went to my local station to get a rifle licence a few months ago and the gaurd said to come back when im 18. I heard this is against the law is there anything I can do?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Join your local club and have them support your application; have your folks write a letter supporting your application; and print out the Firearms Act, Section 8(1)(a), which is the bit you want.
    Don't try the challange-the-garda route if you can help it; you'll wind up having to go to the District Court to convince a judge that you're suitable for a firearms licence, which is not as easy as it sounds. Just show him the above three things and ask him to reconsider.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Dangerdunf

Thanks very much for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Maybe a bit more emphasis on the parental consent. Their permission will have to be black on white in writing as you're still a legal minor and most likely the rifle is going to be stored in their house as well I suppose so proof of their permission will be essential for the guards.

Just take it nice and easy arguing your case in the station, getting their backs up will help someone to find fault with your application.

Look, you've been around long enough to have found out that you don't catch flies using vinegar, syrup works a lot better but don't go smearing it an inch thick either;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement