Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vista Ultimate is it worth it?

• 09-09-2008 8:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭

I have a chance of upgrading to Vista Ultimate and just wondering if anyone thinks it's worth it and is there any performance problems in doing so.

I have vista Home premium at the moment and the performance is fine.
    Windows Vista Ultimate Upgrade w/SP1
    £40.95

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

in a word .... no

ultimate extras are a joke, video desktop backgrounds, a sound theme, and language packs. save your €40 mate. would you pay €40 for those??????

oh and if i remember ultimate has a nice snipping tool that home doesnt hooray

as some one else said somewhere here the other day at least dick turpin wore a hat ;-)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Not in the slightest.

Have a google... You would be surprised at the amount of features you can unlock in vista home premium with regedit. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,326 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I much prefer Ultimate over the standard edition.....it seems to run very smooth with no hick ups.....I use microsoft one care for security which works perfectly with it....I also use media center in ultimate for streaming movies through the xbox360....it works very well and i'm very happy with it....i've used premium but thought it seemed a little less responsive in comparison but that could have been the machine I was using it on....if your getting a legit copy for that price I think it's worth it.....I have it since it was release....I also find the support very good from microsoft with ultimate, I think they take that extra little bit more care of you....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

jmccrohan wrote: »
    Have a google... You would be surprised at the amount of features you can unlock in vista home premium with regedit. ;)

Aye, the only reason that I'd choose Ultimate over HP is to enable remote desktop connections to the PC, but even that can be added easily... (I can understand it not being in basic, but why they took it out of premium is still totally beyond me!)

Stick with HP:)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

calex71 wrote: »

oh and if i remember ultimate has a nice snipping tool that home doesnt hooray
    The snipping tools are in home premium I'm sure, make sure you install the tablet pc tools in vistas programs and features settings to get it, I'm sure I had it when I used HP

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

jmccrohan wrote: »
    Not in the slightest.

carefull now , down with that sort of thing
    I wouldn't like to think that people would break the license doing stuff like that

VNC gives you basic remote desktop

ultimate gives you a way to backup your computer such that you don't have to reinstall all the apps again or to put it in other words with vista home basic / premium you are stuffed if windows is too broken to start a system restore, and doubly stuffed if all you got was an image restore dvd
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-vista/features/backup.aspx
    it's not an add-on , just something that was removed from home users :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

<double post> delete

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Thanks for the replies, judging by other site reviews it doesn't offer much but I like the idea of the restore options
    getting a legit copy for that price I think it's worth it

Student rate so its legit

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Namesco wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies, judging by other site reviews it doesn't offer much but I like the idea of the restore options
    they are charging you an option that used to be standard on previous versions of windows

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_disk_cloning_software
    there are others too

Advertisement