Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I need a plumber or an electrician?

• 09-09-2008 8:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭

I apologise if this is the wrong forum.

My hot water has stopped working. I am able to use the tap as normal, but it is always cold. Looking at the emersion the light is on as normal, but neither the timer nor turning on the emersion will heat up the water.

Do I need a plumber or an electrician?

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Plumber is your best bet mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭mrgaa1

Trust me ensure you get someone, be it a plumber or a spark, who is recommended to you by a friend, work colleague etc.... This could turn into its a plumbing issue - no its a electrical issue and you are out twice as you will have call-out fees etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Weird I have almost the exact same problem. The water heater stopped heating the water in the mornings (timed to start at 6am), but the booster thing for heating an extra bit of water in the evenings or whatever still worked.

Electrician came first and poked about, said the heating element was busted but the timer still worked fine, job for a plumber.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,474 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Moved from Accommodation & Property.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Moved to electrical from Construction & Planning.

The sparks will know what you need. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Mando!

This is an amazing coincidence. It appears that Collum himself posts here too................and now brace yourself...............also uses the name...........................wait for it..................

Mando:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Andrea B. wrote: »
    Mando!

This is an amazing coincidence. It appears that Collum himself posts here too................and now brace yourself...............also uses the name...........................wait for it..................

Mando:pac:

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

AARRRGH wrote: »
    :confused:

I removed a thread with an advertisement in it and Andrea had commented on it before I had done so.

Sounds like an element to me, why not ring a sparks and tell them the problem and ask if necessary can they change the element, it's not something sparks wont do, just give them the info beforehand, a plumber will also know what to do and will end up doing the necessary electrical connections too even though its an electrical connection. A good quality tradesperson from either trade should be able to fix it, just let them know before you get them out that you expect them to fix it and not pawn you off.

Thank you.

Can you recommend anyone? I'm based in Dublin city centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

you could try someone from boards from this list

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055192947

• Advertisement

Got this sorted. Both thermastats needed to be replaced.

The plumber was sound, and seemed like an honest person.

I used Simply Plumbing, Suite 3 Herbert Hall, 16 Herbert Street, Dublin 2, (01)6190215 or (086)1027894.

He charged me a total of €135, and came during the evening.

I'd recommend him.

Got this sorted. Both thermastats needed to be replaced.
    He charged me a total of €135

That better be "elements" and not "thermostats" :eek:

Andrea B. wrote: »
    That better be "elements" and not "thermostats" :eek:

Haha... yeah, he replaced something... the long heater thing which heats the water. He had to replace two of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭loz

lafortezza wrote: »
    Weird I have almost the exact same problem. The water heater stopped heating the water in the mornings (timed to start at 6am), but the booster thing for heating an extra bit of water in the evenings or whatever still worked.

Electrician came first and poked about, said the heating element was busted but the timer still worked fine, job for a plumber.

I had this very same issue last week, been last winter since used the timer, so something had stuck.

I hit the reset hole with a pen ( in the timer keypad thingy ) and reprogrammed, works fine now.

Cant see how it can possobly be the element if the boost works fine.

L

Cant see how it can possobly be the element if the boost works fine.

The boost element is either a separate horizontal element at top of tank or the shorter leg of a dual element unit, so it could still be the element.

Advertisement