Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What drinks help you blend in as a drinker?

• 09-09-2008 9:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hey I'm a non-drinker and I'm going to college this October as a fresher. I would like to make good friends when I go to college. I'm aware that for alot of students drinking is an important part of student life and most likely I will find myself hanging out with people in pub/club situations.
    I was wondering if anyone could suggest any drinks that you can order in clubs/pubs that dont make you stand out as a non-drinker such as a bottle of coke. The reason I would like to know this is not that I wont disclose I dont drink alcohol to my close mates, it would just help me feel more comfortable in the club/pub and I dont like people getting to know me as "the guy who doesnt drink". Id rather get to know them and then disclose it to them.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Don't worry what other people think. If you are going to be around students much in the pub scene, they won't be able to think much after a few scoops.

Back to topic; there are lots of non alcoholic beers available nowadays in bars, much better selection than back when I was a young drinker.
    Becks non, Erdinger non, among others. They taste ok initially, but after 3 or 4 you get that 'metal' taste in your mouth. You'll be holding a 'beer' bottle!!!

But seriously, drink whatever you enjoy, not what image or other people dictate... It's your night out, not theirs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Drink coke or 7 up in a slim jim glass, it could be vodka coke etc. If you don't want people to know you don't drink I would advice against drinking non alcoholic beer as everyone knows the brands. May be a converstation starter though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

That sorta thing really annoys me, blending in as a drinker lark.
    I don't drink and there is no way I need to blend in with other drinkers. I simply don't drink and that is it!

There is no need to hide the fact that I don't drink and I feel it is actually something to be quite proud of!!!

Back on topic though, I absolutely love soda water and lime, it sounds exotic and tastes yummy, failing that I'd have a cranberry juice or a glass of coke.
    The soda water is usually served with a slice of lime in it so I suppose it looks a bit like a gin and tonic too. Scrummy though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Not being smart here, but wouldn't a pint of cidona pass as a pint of cider?

I really don't think that trying to blend in as a drinker will do you any favours. Its like you're trying to hide something thats a huge deal (it really isn't).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Also it will be fairly obvious to people that you don't drink when they offer to buy you a pint.

Don't worry about it too much - just have the craic and enjoy college. Also you can be the one who fills in their missing gaps the next day. (Lord knows I could have done with one of those when I was in college! :o)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

A pint of coke with a guinness head :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 glynngo

big glass of milk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭gaf1983

I do drink but when I'm out and not drinking I find sparkling water does the job for me. Like alcoholic drinks, it's something I hated when I was younger but have grown to appreciate. Similarly to beer, I find it's not something I would drink very fast - as I would with soft drinks - so I'm not waiting around with an empty drink while my friends are only halfway through their pints. Also I find soft drinks after two of them just become way to gassy and sticky, whereas I could drink sparkling water til the cows come home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

hmm i dunno if you were a woman it would be easier...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Dagon

While I'm comfortable being a non-drinker, and don't feel the need to hide it, I understand why sometimes it's best just to "blend in".

Recently I went on a night out. I'd been invited to a birthday with a bunch of really nice people, and they all love their drink. I didn't want to be the "hey, look at me, I'm sober" one in the group, so I quietly went off on my own to order drink, or disappeared to the toilets when rounds were being offered. I had a couple of bottles of Becks, and partied like a drunk man, and had a great night.

They weren't impressed when I drove back to the party though... that's when I happily revealed that I'd been sober all night :) And nobody cared...

But yeah, I don't really like to broadcast that I'm a non-drinker. Mainly because some non-drinkers tend to look down on drinkers, which I don't do, and have a certain attitude toward partying when drink is involved, basically a bit of baggage...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 86 ✭✭Biff11

Lucozade in a pint glass of ice does it for me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Biff11 wrote: »
    Lucozade in a pint glass of ice does it for me!
    +1
    Not really for the pint glass but it is a damn nice drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭von Neumann

Eirdinger non alcoholic, yes it's a bit yeasty,
    But it's much better than becks non alcoholic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭Drodan

If you really feel the need, red bull in a glass, just say its vodka and red bull.

But trust me no one will care if you don't drink, it's not that big a deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by the amount of students that don't drink or at least just drink sensibly :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

If you do go for non alcholic beer make sure you check the date on the bottle.
    I wouldn't worry too much about trying to blend in with drinkers either, when people ask why your not drinking just lie and say your an up and coming inter county footballer.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭homergriffin

Eirdinger non alcoholic, yes it's a bit yeasty,
    But it's much better than becks non alcoholic.

Dead right, If you were ever a beer drinker then this stuff is actually nice. I switch between that, coffee, 7 up free and Fizzy water on nights out dpending were I am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭roberta c

I dont think this is about lying about whether you drink or not, more to not get asked in the first place. I'd imagine it would be alot easier to get on with a bunch of people you recently met when your not singled out as the sober one. Until people grow to be friends you might not be willing to have the "why i dont drink" coversation everytime you start up a conversation in the pub..
    I'd say anything except clear water looks like it could be alcohol, everyone drinks softdrinks with vodka or whatever.. non alcoholic beer is common these days too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭bubbleking

i think i have a good idea of where the OP is coming from. its hard enough trying to come to a new place such as college and trying to fit in as much as possible without the added hassel of being different to most fresher students right off the bat.

lets be honest about it we have a drinking culture no matter what anyone says and the first reaction to finding out one of your friends isnt drinking is "your what?? ah come on youl have one! il get it for ya" yes its plain as day this is peer pressure etc but im sure the OP would just rather avoid all of this confrontation especially on his first few weeks in college.

just in case im accused of not knowing what im talking about im a final year student in college and iv recently given up drink due to the fact i was developing alcoholic tendencies. i used to be part of the "ah come on youl have one" group now im part of the sober crew and quite happy about it tbh.

my advice to the original poster is to buy red bull and have it put in a pint glass and just stay out of rounds for awhile. disclose to whoever you want that you dont drink when you feel comfortable but im sure by that stage they wont care as you will have already shown your just as much fun if not more fun then all the drinkers at the party.

i think it sucks that we have a drinking culture but i dont blame that at all for me getting sucked into drinking like a noob

oh and one more thing - iv noticed this recently, youl have far more success with the fairer sex then the rest of the drueling drunk idiots at parties (just some added motivation ;))

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭jph100

as was said before, a cidona/lucozade/energise (which im quite liking on nights out now, a bit of a change from lucozade) in apint glass with ice will look like cider to anyone whos bothered watchin wat people are drinkin

if u drive, u will be popular as u will be peoples designated driver!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

dudara wrote: »
    Not being smart here, but wouldn't a pint of cidona pass as a pint of cider?

Was thinking the same thing!
    Stick a couple of ice cubes in ti for extra effect :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Bruce11

Just rder what you want and tell the barperson that you wat it in a Slimjim glass. Most often they use the curvy glasses like kids get for Coke and 7Up, they look poxy in my opinion.

A slimjim glass will look like a short if thats what you desire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

So ya wanna fit in with a club scene eh? being a non-drinker too i just do the following: Dance like your feet cant stop, and if you wanna take a break or have a chat, grab yourself a soda water & lime :D refreshing and tasty!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭luckylucky

Dead right, If you were ever a beer drinker then this stuff is actually nice. I switch between that, coffee, 7 up free and Fizzy water on nights out dpending were I am.

Sounds like you have it down to a fine art. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭estar

lime lemon juice with a bitter lemon top - fab

diet coke and cranberry juice (pint of)

apple juice ginger and elderflower cordial - so good

in fact elder flower cordial full stop

wish they made more non alcoholic alternatives available

sometimes even getting tea or coffee late at night is hard

and red maxwell house should be re-classified as non coffee

its more like coffee essence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭dosed

Im not a non drinker, but rarely drank in College because I had a car (and no money!).
    As a girl, its easy to just order a coke in a tall glass and ppl will asume it is a mixed drink.
    A pint of cidona with ice will look like cider to every one.

Advertisement