Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Karma - hope I get my pump back

Options
  • 09-09-2008 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I commute most days into work from Rathfarnham to ballsbrige. I think there seems to be a reasonable degree of camradarie amongst us two wheelers and yesterday morning proved it.

On my way into work down the Clonskeagh Road Yesterday morning and my back axle snapped as I was trying to overtake somone. As I stood on the side of the road trying to figure how to get to work on time another cyclist turned up having blown a back tire. Seeing as my bike was knackered and I was going to be late I offered the use of my pump to see if we could get him going. Then another cyclist turned up and kindly offered some puncture repair patches and some glue.

Thought it was pretty cool all three of us standing there trying to figure out how we were going to get going again - good to know that someone is looking out for you.

Anyway I had to get going and couldn;t wait any longer for the glue to set so I gave yer man my pump and told him to stick it in the post when he got home. Time to see if this 'Band of brothers/sisters' is real - hope I get it back

Comments

I'm sure you will :)

Last month when I had a blowout on Merrion Road one guy slowed down to ask if I wanted any help/pump/whathaveyou. I didn't since I was 5 minutes from work, but it was still nice to be offered!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭ba

this kind of help is great to hear of. its really cool to know that another cyclist has got your back when you need it.

but lads, carry a spare tube, fixing punctures on the side of the road is OTT. especially when a tube costs a fiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭Alkers

Consider yourself lucky, try this for size!
    http://www.biker.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=54000

ba wrote: »
    this kind of help is great to hear of. its really cool to know that another cyclist has got your back when you need it.

but lads, carry a spare tube, fixing punctures on the side of the road is OTT. especially when a tube costs a fiver.

Ah yeah, I bring a spare tube with me wherever I go.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

It's good to hear about all this goodwill.

I was cycling around Howth one Sunday when near the Summit Pub I saw a guy trying to fix his bike. It turns out his BB was knackered, or at least beyond the "repair capabilities" of both of us. He was miles from home (Rathmines) and had brought no money with him. I gave him a fiver (it was all I had) and pointed him in the direction of the Dart. He was very insistent about trying to get my change back to me, but I figured "what goes around comes around". In the end we agreed that he'd stick the change in the poor box. I've saved that karma up and haven't had to call on it yet, but I hope I'll be helped out whenever I get stuck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

A fiver? a lousy fiver? You were much nearer home than he was - the least you could have done was swapped bottom brackets with him :D

kenmc wrote: »
    A fiver? a lousy fiver? You were much nearer home than he was - the least you could have done was swapped bottom brackets with him :D

Well, I would have given him my BB, but, you know, I didn't want to :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

kenmc wrote: »

Yeah, would you not have put him in a taxi home at least? :rolleyes:

I was out one afternoon (sans pump) when some bloke on the other side of the road shouted what I thought was "have you got a pump?" I shouted back "no, sorry" to which he replied "ah go f**k yourself ya f**kin c**t". It was then I realised he must have said "can i use your pump?" just assuming I had one. oops.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I reckon the extra time it takes me to repair a puncture as opposed to just using a new tube is only the time it takes for the glue to set. Using a new tube saves all of... 5 minutes once you're used to puncture repairing. Once the tube starts becoming more patch than tube is when I throw a new one on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I reckon the extra time it takes me to repair a puncture as opposed to just using a new tube is only the time it takes for the glue to set.
    Sometimes you can see the glass etc causing the puncture, so you know exactly where it is, so only have to half take the tyre off, no need to even pull the tube all the way out, so can be much quicker.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

Raam wrote: »
    I've saved that karma up and haven't had to call on it yet, but I hope I'll be helped out whenever I get stuck.

That's the thing about Karma though - mabye the you've gotten payback already and just don't know it - such as cycling through a patch of glass and thinking 'phew, that was lucky!' :p

That's the thing about Karma though - mabye the you've gotten payback already and just don't know it - such as cycling through a patch of glass and thinking 'phew, that was lucky!' :p

Uh oh, in that case I'm in huge debt!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭ba

I reckon the extra time it takes me to repair a puncture as opposed to just using a new tube is only the time it takes for the glue to set. Using a new tube saves all of... 5 minutes once you're used to puncture repairing. Once the tube starts becoming more patch than tube is when I throw a new one on :)

not possible while riding with a club. extra 5minutes is not worth getting cold for especially during winter training. plus club members would get well lpissed off waiting around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Plus it isn't always obvious where the puncture is. Most of the time it is, but sometimes.... It really doesn't hurt to carry an extra tube, even on the commute.

Advertisement