Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Postgrad Diploma Accounting DIT, few questions

• 09-09-2008 9:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭

I'm sure someone here is familiar with this course.
    How many people would be doing it, very roughly?
    how is the course organised? (are the modules integrated with the undergraduate degree accounting and finance ? etc)
    how many modules do you take?

Any input would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 rover84

I'm sure someone here is familiar with this course.
    How many people would be doing it, very roughly?

In the class, theres roughly about 25-30 people in it.
    how is the course organised? (are the modules integrated with the undergraduate degree accounting and finance ? etc)

Im pretty sure the course has its own classes that are specifically for people doing the postgrad, The classes are similar to the undergraduate course with a lot of the same lecturers, and Id imagine the structure of the course modules are quite similar.

how many modules do you take?
    Not completely sure on this one to be honest, you do classes for audit, financial acc, management acc, tax and business finance. The course is broken into two with most of the work relating to the exams done prior to christmas and the main focus is on the thesis after christmas (although there are still exams in the summer)

I was in the DIT a couple of years ago and this was the setup then. They could have changed the course structure a litte seeing as the ICAI are bringing in the CAP exemptions instead of the Profs (in my opinion,theyre still basically the same thing).

Hope this helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

can you tell me how you were examined eg are there some group assessments/presentations, obviously there is written exams, is there computer based exams etc ?

Were the lectures in larger lecture rooms or smaller tutorial rooms?

what were the lecturers like ?
    good/bad experiences with lecturers or just DIT in general

cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 rover84

can you tell me how you were examined eg are there some group assessments/presentations

Yep good bit of group project work, it included written papers on current topics etc. This was mainly for tax and audit subjects. However there was more a mixture of written topics aswell as presentations for Financial and Management Accounting. Think overall the projects were worth approx 20% of the overall grade for the year. The other 80% was down to written exams. Thesis was graded seperately.

obviously there is written exams, is there computer based exams etc ?

One when I was there. Was easy. However you sit the ACE exam generally after your prof 3s which is the only other computer exam I think.
    Were the lectures in larger lecture rooms or smaller tutorial rooms?

Generally in Small Tutorial Rooms, The larger lecture rooms arent even that big in Aungier Street.
    what were the lecturers like ?
    good/bad experiences with lecturers or just DIT in general

Like every college, some lecturers were better than others, The tax lecturer in particular was excellent, I thought Financial Accounting, Management Accounting and Audit lecturers were all good. They all have good experience of teaching Final Year Accounting & Finance undergrad students.

Good points, lectures are decent, good start off point if you plan on doing the prof 3s and FAEs, they structure the course well enough too.

Bad Points, Thesis work is quite tough and they could prob give you more help on this. A lot of project work is on current topics which is fine but when it comes round to sitting the exams, its not much good then

I was there a couple of years ago, so some of the course could very well have changed since I was there. Id recommend that if you have any doubts, give the DIT a buzz and theyll be able to answer and clarify anything a lot better than I can

Thanks rover, nice answers

I don't think that there is thesis to do now ( no mention on the website) so that may of changed.

If anything else comes to mind, don't hesitate to reply :). I'd love to hear some other thoughts/comments on the course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

I hope there's no thesis, I'm starting this course next week... I didn't hear anything about a thesis.

• Advertisement

tywy wrote: »
    I hope there's no thesis, I'm starting this course next week... I didn't hear anything about a thesis.

Yeah I hope there is no thesis too. That would suck.
    Main reason I'm not even considering doing a masters.

Have you picked your modules/got a timetable, login ID ETC ?
    The only thing I got sent was a letter saying to come in and register on the 22nd. :confused:

Yeah same here, I think we just sort all that out on Monday. It does seem kinda weird we didn't get more info, it's good to hear I'm not the only one worried :P

What was your undergrad course in?

I just completed an Arts degree in UCD
    What about you?

Engineering UCD... so it'll be a change!

Advertisement