Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnet 10 MB with booster button!!!!

Options
  • 09-09-2008 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭

Anyone listen to the Last Word tonight. Guy from magnet talking about their new 10/24MB fibre optic package.
    Apparently you click a booster button and it boosts your speed to the max you can achieve for a 4hour period. Apparently they are working on a 1GB speed!!!!!:eek:
    I never though this would be possible here and I know it's most likely only gonna be cities but still.

Anyone got any more info on it?
    I was only able to half listen.

Jarvis

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

i want a booster button for my 4mb,grrr lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

jarvis wrote: »
    . Apparently they are working on a 1GB speed!!!!!:eek:

Jarvis

I am working on a car that might be able to do 50000 MPH.......

I would be interested to know what "work" they are doing.....

I would also be interested in what Hard drives they expect people to have to write data that fast.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

For a laugh everyone should press their booster button at the same time. The magnet servers would probably explode.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

I like Magnet, every time I hear about them they're working on or implementing some ambitious new plan. Rarely hear complaints about their service either.

Shame I can't get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

FTTH is great if you can get it. Just wish more people were running it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I would also be interested in what Hard drives they expect people to have to write data that fast.

The velociraptors have write speeds of over 100MBps. I assume the op means 1Gbps (gigabit). So having a drive fast enough to utilize it isn't that hard, especially if you raid a few together.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

is this Booster button the "Click to Fart" one?

haha
    The velociraptors have write speeds of over 100MBps. I assume the op means 1Gbps (gigabit). So having a drive fast enough to utilize it isn't that hard, especially if you raid a few together.
    my Spinpoints do 88MBps no Raid( consecutive read/write ), raptors can do ~115 in Raid

lmimmfn wrote: »
    is this Booster button the "Click to Fart" one?

haha

my Spinpoints do 88MBps no Raid( consecutive read/write ), raptors can do ~115 in Raid
    Which works out at 900Mbps give or takes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭xbox36016

i say that is fun lets all prass the booster button at 12 tomarrow

Test.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

For a laugh everyone should press their booster button at the same time. The magnet servers would probably explode.
    This people is what the internet is all about !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

Random wrote: »
    This people is what the internet is all about !

That, and arguing with faceless strangers.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭WezzyB

I just ordered the 24meg product, my bt bb has sucked the last few months, the speed upgrade has just made my connection less reliable. Last year my bt 3mb was rock solid hopefully I can get a good 12mb+ from magnet.
    Anyone else do the switch?
    Sales guy said it would take up to 15 days to transfer, hopefully will not be too long otherwise I'll be relying on my 3mobile.
    Also sales guy said it was a 12 month contract, but when I was doing verbal contract with another agent she said 6 months, nice.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

BTW This is ADSL2+ LLU, not fibre.

So it seems 24mb / 1mb BB + unlimited calls for €65

The equivalent package from Smart costs €90

http://www.magnetentertainment.ie/products/llu/24.htm

You also get RTE 1, 2, TV3, TG4 and Bubble Hits free to your PC, interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭cramp

Iam with Magnet for the past 2 years, i have a rock solid 5mb line for that period of time....

i rang them yesterday and they immediately put me on the 10mb package, the guy done a line test and said my line at present can only take 6.5mb speed, he enquired had i got my pc on a telephone extension (i have) and said that i should put my Router beside the eircom socket and only use a 2mtr phone lead, this will give me my extra speed, so i only signed up for teh 10mb package..

So after moving the router and checking speeds, iam only getting 6mb speed!
    This is only 1 mb faster.....
    i would be interested to hear what speeds u guys are getting1!!!

cramp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭Elem

I'm with BT, how do i switch over? Do i not have a contract with BT?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Elem wrote: »
    I'm with BT, how do i switch over? Do i not have a contract with BT?

Depends how long you're with them for. Initially, you most likely signed up for a 12 month contract.

If you're with them for over that length of time, you can leave them without facing a cancellation fee.

So all you need to join Magnet is your phone number, details and Universal account number (which you can find on the left side of your BT bill which can be downloaded from their website).

I am in the middle of doing exactly this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭Elem

Thanks, dont think I'm over the 12 months yet. I'd say I've been with them for around 10months. Does the contract renew when you move home?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

Jumpy wrote: »
    FTTH is great if you can get it. Just wish more people were running it.

too bad getting it usually means you have to either live in a big dirty ol city or else in an estate full of houses that look exactly the same as yours. in a satellite town :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Kel Varnsen

Anyone know what the monthly download limit on the "Force Max" option is? I can't find it on their site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Article here http://bleep.ie

I know their cap on their fibre is 250 gig. So it might be the same on this package!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 b1tch1n

Thats their recommended usage but, trust me they have no cap nor do they enforce it on the ftth service at least

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

Just to clear things up....the 10mb and 24mb packs are available to non FTTH customers (for the LLU customers).....they are comming through the exchanges and are available to people who are not in brand new estates.

The packs are well documented on the site but are only available in certain areas in the major cities (the bigger exchanges).

has anyone got the 10/24mb service yet....any reviews?

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭cramp

Hi m8 i have gone from 5mb to thier force 10....
    and i aint getting the speed, only coming in at 5.8mb..Magnety are saying that is teh max speed my line can take!

A friend of mine in Clare Hall is getting the full 10mb

cramp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Wtf is the point if they are gonna do this they may as well give people 24mb connections,its gonna be slow during "peak time" anyway as everyone will use it

And after the 4 hour period when can you next press it?

"only coming in at 5.8mb..Magnety are saying that is teh max speed my line can take!"

just covertly steal the exchange and put it in your back garden....job done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

I've had the 10mb for about a month now. Only got 3mb for the first few hours, then the connection dropped and I'm getting the full 10mb.

Hasn't dropped since then, always getting the full 10mb, the only minor annoyance is the Telsey router they use. I can't change the SSID of the wireless network or change the password. Apart from that I've had no problems as of yet (wait for the connection to go down this evening now for having said that!)

Not sure how this "Boost Button" thing is going to work though

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

no single (unstriped i.e. Not RAID0, Not RAID5 or Not RAID50) drive does anything like that for random access write/read.

You'd want 15,000 RPM Ultra SCSI / Fibre channel with about 5 to 7 striped drives in RAID5 to get anything close to that with random R/W.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

watty wrote: »
    no single (unstriped i.e. Not RAID0, Not RAID5 or Not RAID50) drive does anything like that for random access write/read.

You'd want 15,000 RPM Ultra SCSI / Fibre channel with about 5 to 7 striped drives in RAID5 to get anything close to that with random R/W.

Good thing that random access write/read is totally irrelevant for downloading files. You'll have a single process writing out a single file to disk sequentially, the easiest possible scenario for any disk.

Advertisement