Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coffee and dessert - 9:30pm

• 09-09-2008 9:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

Call me a European git, but why can't I find anywhere in Waterford that I can go for a coffee and some chocolate cheese cake about now? (9:45pm ish).

Im not mad to go to the pub on a Tuesday night, but I did fancy an oul chat and a coffee and chocolate cheesecake (not lemon cheesecake.. lets be exact here) with the other half.

Everywhere on the Dunmore road was finished doing food so I could have gone towards town but couldnt think of anywhere.

The only place that matches what I want in me head is the place that used to be behind the antique auction place near Adelphi Quay.. the Footbridge? Somewhere we could go for a coffee or a bottle of wine and chill out.

Is there anywhere in Waterford that fits the bill for this time of night?

All I wanted was the cheesecake really.. lol

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭ec18

Cafe Summatra serves till 11 (I think) everynight. They def open that late friday/saturday night

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Waterford is very poor for cafes and the like, its an awful shame, much better selection in Kilkenny

Thing is, Waterford has alot of very suitable area's for cafes and outdoor seating etc but it just isn't happening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭JMcL

Cabaal wrote: »
    Thing is, Waterford has alot of very suitable area's for cafes and outdoor seating etc but it just isn't happening

Yeah really. On a related aside, in their usual short sighted manner, the council are about to banish the Saturday market, currently on Georges St, to some back lane behind the cathedral with no access for anybody with a trailer, and no passing trade. The slow food market in John Roberts square on sunday was a very good illustration of how it should be done.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

JMcL wrote: »
    Yeah really. On a related aside, in their usual short sighted manner, the council are about to banish the Saturday market, currently on Georges St, to some back lane behind the cathedral with no access for anybody with a trailer, and no passing trade. The slow food market in John Roberts square on sunday was a very good illustration of how it should be done.

Any ideas why? Its like the council don't want Waterford to do well the way they are going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭JMcL

Sully wrote: »
    Any ideas why? Its like the council don't want Waterford to do well the way they are going on.

There seems to be a general reluctance on the part of the council to have the market anyplace prominent (ie visible). It started off in that carpark behind Guineys originally, and initially had a fairly good range of traders, but there was no passing trade so a lot of them stopped coming. It then moved out to Georges St (I think for Christmas one year), and stayed there. AFAIK the council wanted to put them back in the carpark, but the traders resisted and were eventually let stay where they are. The problem is that there's limited space there. There're 6-7 stalls at the moment, and that'd be about the max.

The square is the logical place for it, why it's a no-no, I've no idea, though possibly the usual bogus shopkeepers complaining that it'll damage their sales could be a factor (the reality is usually the opposite). Dungarvan is a good example of how it should be done. If they do get shifted, most of the traders I know will stop. My friend Romuald who makes the crepes won't be able to, as aside from the lack of passing trade, he physically won't be able to get his trailer in. Same with Wolfgang and Agnes (the cheese people). It's a shame, as a decent market is a really nice thing to have.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

JMcL wrote: »

Your referring to the market thing on Saturday mornings...bread etc?
    Your bloody kidding me!

When will they ever learn, bunch of muppets.....did McCann object perhaps? :confused:

They are honestly trying there best to kill waterford one step at a time, I know several people who have bought stuff from that market and loved the stuff and have gone back since, this is what Waterford needs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

yip the market is really nice!!! i have gone down a few times and picked up really nice fresh foods..

they have one in Howth Village in Dublin every sunday, and its HUGE!!! you can get everything, but its right as you get off the dart so they get all the passing trade, you cant expect a market to survive without the passing trade.. the council needs to wise up to that fact

• Closed Accounts Posts: 744 ✭✭✭angry_fox

After 5 pm every evening the town is dead and i believe its the fault of one man. The cove might do something your looking for trotter but i really cant think of any other places in waterford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Shocking isnt it.

Lets make this simple. Where's the best place to get chocolate cheese cake.. eat in or take away.. ??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

I am also a European git that expects to be able to get a coffee in the evenings!

Global Village and Luna are gone, RIP.

At the moment, the choices are:
    Summatra (Thursday-Saturday I think, every other day they close at 7pm.)
    Geoffs (Quiet during the week, perfect place for a coffee/bite to eat.)
    The Bistro (Kind of -- it's more of a restaurant really but it just about fits.)
    Brasserie (Kind off, same as the Bistro.)
    There might be a good time for the Gingerman for coffee in the evenings, not sure.

Basically, these days Waterford is a disaster for after hours cafes, absolute disaster. Obviously the proprietors of the daytime cafes live far outside the city centre and really don't know what the business is like in the evenings, or even if there are any people around. Believe me, there are plenty of people around. It is a shocking state of affairs that the city can boast more lap dancing clubs than evening cafes!

I saw a new place open in the old Suí Síos premises a while back but I don't know the details. Also, not really relevant, but FYI a take away cake shop has opened on the Quay, probably run by enthusiastic foreigners -- since the locals seem reluctant to open small shopfront businesses. If so, fair play to them, or whoever it is, and I hope people buy something when they pass. The shop is near the GPO, can't remember which block exactly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Imagine a trendy little place around Ardkeen stores somewhere. Couches, coffee, light snacks/meals, desserts, wine licence, moody music etc.

I wish I had a few bob.. I'd do it myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

On weeknights you could try Revolution, apparently they're "never too busy to take a food order" and serve until midnight, although I'd love to see the face of a barman when you ask him for a pancake at 11:30 on a Saturday night! The Bar in the Tower serves food until 9:30, sometimes later and it's often quiet enough in there.

As for a trendy place in the Ardkeen area, isn't that what Oskars is? Or at least what it tries to be? I haven't been there in about 6 months so I don't know what it's like there at the moment.

Advertisement