Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

insurance for learner drivers

Options
  • 09-09-2008 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

just wondering if anybody knows whos da cheapest company for learner drivers. im a 17 year old lad looking to be a name driver on family car

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

It would be very difficult for anyone to accurately answer without knowing all your details. It would be easier to get out the Golden Pages and ring around.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Quinn direct? Depending on car, you'll be looking at a few hundred euros either way for a named driver.. I got mine with quinn, and admittidly, being 2 grand for TP, Fire and Theft (in my own policy) on a 00 fiat punto.. it was a hell of a lot cheaper than anywhere else I saw.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

As said, best thing to do would be to ring around and find the best quote. Have you got a quote from the insurance company your parents are currently on?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,985 ✭✭✭kirving

Try insure.ie. It was 500 on top of the price of both my parents on the car, a 2000, 1.6(petrol) Focus, so 820 overall. I think having my licence for over a year(although it wasnt being used) brought the cost down a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Just got my first insurance sorted out on a 2 litre ford focus for €800

Male 21, Provisional Licence, Clondalkin area, Named Driver

Got my insurance with Allianz as my parents are both with them already. They beat the cheapest quote on chill.ie too :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Surely if you're going to be a named driver you'll be getting insured with whoever the family car is insured with already, so you don't have a choice? I do know that when I was 17 I got insured as a named driver on a 1L Micra for about €200 with Eagle Star. At the end of the day though, I was female and the car was only a 1L.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭lucozader

thanks a lot

Threads merged.
    And, the cheapest is the best:rolleyes:
    How can we give you an idea without know anything about you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Just got a quote for 849 from bestquote.ie for me being a learner driver 17, male, added as a named driver to a 1.4 200 citroen xsara, not too bad, still an extra 500 euro for me for the year though!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

I got insured with Quinn when I was 17 with a Learner permit on a 1.4. Payed just over €400 on my mothers name. Godbless her great driver and 9 years ncb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

900€ provisional 17yo , untill July , drops to 700 once I pass my test the 200 is then given back in the form of credit or something , Driving a 1.6 Focus Saloon.
    Quinn Direct Insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

Varys on your location and car I suppose. I'm in Dublin, Named driver on 1.4 Focus - €800, my own policy on Fiat Punto - €1600. Shop around and phone towards the end of the month when they'll be willing to bargain in order to meet their targets.

Found I got a cheaper quote when I rang them as oppose to the online quote generator. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

apkb wrote: »
    just wondering if anybody knows whos da cheapest company for learner drivers. im a 17 year old lad looking to be a name driver on family car

well you will be going on your parents policy then, so you will be going with whatever company they are insured with.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

ergonomics wrote: »
    . At the end of the day though, I was female ...

Are you not anymore? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭plastic-man

I've been shopping around for insurance for last week and the best quote I've received (online) is with quinn. That was 1900E on a 1.2 fiat punto ELX. I think this is probably the cheapest I will get as I am a learner driver, male and 19!
    Anyone received anything better?

Also I'm aware there is a similar thread, no need to remind me ! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

That is the cheapest you'll get, unfortunatly :(

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭plastic-man

probably go for that then, so annoying .. it jumps up 300E to go from a 1.2 punto to a 1.3 hyundai accent

Also I'm aware there is a similar thread, no need to remind me ! :p

Indeed there is!
    Threads merged:pac::D

Advertisement