Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Oil falls below $100 a barrel!

Options
  • 09-09-2008 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭

I know this has been done to death, but I see oil has fallen to under $99 a barrell http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7605584.stm yet I still see prices of €1.34 for diesel how is this let go on? Oil companies are getting away with daylight robbery and no one seems to give a dam.
    Rant over, do I fell any better, NO.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Business/Oil-Prices-Fall-Below-100-A-Dollar-After-Opec-meeting-Vienna/Article/200809215096149?lpos=Business_2&lid=ARTICLE_15096149_Oil%2BPrices%2BFall%2BBelow%2B%2524100%2BA%2BDollar%2BAfter%2BOpec%2Bmeeting%2BVienna

So in july when oil prices peaked at $145 a barrel- petrol prices hovered around the €1.32 mark. someone please correct me if my maths is wrong, but does that not suggest that petrol prices should be sub €1 !! chances of getting petrol at that price is slim!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭mobby

beat you to it by 3mins:D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Well actually if you work it out, petrol prices should really be around 30-40cents, if not cheaper. We're being massivly overcharged for it anyway...

mobby wrote: »
    haha! great minds eh!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

Only Brent crude is below $100 , Nymex Crude Future $102.45 and has fallen by $3.89 today alone. So hopefully we will see it below $100 tomorrow.

In truth the price at the pump should be sub 1.20 at least shortly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Ohh.. I hope it goes down soon.. Really haven't properly filled my tank in ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,445 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

mobby wrote: »

You did, but BoardsRanger's thread title was better :)

Threads merged!

And a bit of good news it has to be said. All those doom merchants predicting it would be over $200 within months :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭jake59

they are quick enough to raise their prices at the pumps and blame it on the escalating cost of oil but this is just silly!! there was even a 2c rise on petrol last week while the price per barrel of oil was going down. it's the usual story.... the Irish are getting rode... please bend over and take it like men.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭NewApproach

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Business/Oil-Prices-Fall-Below-100-A-Dollar-After-Opec-meeting-Vienna/Article/200809215096149?lpos=Business_2&lid=ARTICLE_15096149_Oil%2BPrices%2BFall%2BBelow%2B%2524100%2BA%2BDollar%2BAfter%2BOpec%2Bmeeting%2BVienna

So in july when oil prices peaked at $145 a barrel- petrol prices hovered around the €1.32 mark. someone please correct me if my maths is wrong, but does that not suggest that petrol prices should be sub €1 !! chances of getting petrol at that price is slim!

Havnt done any maths on it, but the fact that the dollar has strengthened against the euro has nullified much of the drop in price of oil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The value of the euro has fallen against the dollar from 1.56 to 1.41, also the price of oil and the price of fuel you buy is almost completely disconnected due to the tax wedge.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

unkel wrote: »
    You did, but BoardsRanger's thread title was better :)

Threads merged!

And a bit of good news it has to be said. All those doom merchants predicting it would be over $200 within months :rolleyes:
    this has as much to do with fanny mae and freddie mac as anything else - i suspect its the calm before the real storm

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

NiSmO wrote: »
    Take a deep breath and read mike65's post - it's the one directly above yours.;)

mike65 wrote: »
    The value of the euro has fallen against the dollar from 1.56 to 1.41, also the price of oil and the price of fuel you buy is almost completely disconnected due to the tax wedge.

Mike.
    good point. I also read last week that motorists might be a target in the forthcoming budget. i didn’t think that tax wedge could get any bigger!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Gypo

Mike.

Spot on, but when the price of Petrol / Diesel was flying up back in July, the rocketing price of crude was widely blamed so it's not surprising really that some people get annoyed when they don't see the substantial fall in crude replicated at the pumps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

The Eur has weakened around 12.5% from the highs. Oil has fallen 31% from the highs in only USD terms. If oil was $147 per barrell at the highs, this was €91.87 per barrell. Now with oil at $103 per barrell, this equates to €72.80 at today's exchange rate. So in EUR terms oil has fallen 20.7%.

So if the price at the pumps when oil was at the highs was say €1.40, all other things being equal, it should now be €1.11 (which obviously it's not)

Oh and OPEC have just announced a production cut - looks like they dont want to give up any of their excessive profits

• Registered Users Posts: 68,927 ✭✭✭✭L1011

TheBazman wrote: »
    The Eur has weakened around 12.5% from the highs. Oil has fallen 31% from the highs in only USD terms. If oil was $147 per barrell at the highs, this was €91.87 per barrell. Now with oil at $103 per barrell, this equates to €72.80 at today's exchange rate. So in EUR terms oil has fallen 20.7%.

So if the price at the pumps when oil was at the highs was say €1.40, all other things being equal, it should now be €1.11 (which obviously it's not)

You're forgetting that a large % of the price is fuel duty (fixed) and VAT. Its close enough to what it "should" be.
    Oh and OPEC have just announced a production cut - looks like they dont want to give up any of their excessive profits

Also theres not enough refinery capacity for all the oil thats been drilled and sold during the time it was insanely high.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

NiSmO wrote: »
    Me too, really is no need for another thread to cover the subject.

It will be very interesting to see what difference this makes.

My bet is not a lot.

edit:
    From Bloomberg
    The work by Michael Masters, president of the Masters Capital Management hedge fund, blames investors who buy and hold an index of commodities for driving prices to records, and for their subsequent drop. It comes a day before the U.S. Commodity Futures Trading Commission is set to discuss its own study of energy trading with a congressional committee.

Masters testified three times before Congress this year, arguing that limits on traders would cut oil prices to $65 to $70 a barrel. He has been cited by lawmakers who introduced at least 20 measures to curb speculation. Congressional pressure on the CFTC to step up enforcement and restrict anonymous trades has pushed index traders out of their positions, Masters said.
    The elephant in the room the whole time was that oil prices spiked just as the sub prime meltdown began. All the money deserted financials and went into commodities.

• Advertisement

MYOB wrote: »
    You're forgetting that a large % of the price is fuel duty (fixed) and VAT. Its close enough to what it "should" be.

Also theres not enough refinery capacity for all the oil thats been drilled and sold during the time it was insanely high.

I did say "all other things being equal"

I dont think the OPEC cut will have any real effect - It feels to me that a lot of speculators aka Hedge Funds have taken a lot of pain, especially when it seemed as if hurricane season would drive us to new highs. This didnt happen and the vast majority are now licking wounds. In this sort of environment I dont think a small cut in production will do anything major to prices

• Registered Users Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭Heroditas

The value of the euro has fallen against the dollar from 1.56 to 1.41,

That's a 9.6% drop in the value of the €
    Oil has dropped by considerably more than 9.6% in the same timeframe.

EDIT: just seen what Bazman posted. So .... "wot 'e said!"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

+1 with Bazman.

The price at the pumps should be reducing.

I am sick of listening to the excuses, "we bought stock at higher price, wage costs of have gone up......bah bah bah"

The other half travels to Dublin for work everyday, it costs 80e a week to run the oil burner, if the price at the pumps reflected the change in oil and FX difference then this should cost her around 65e a week.

Well done to the owners of petrol stations who are pocketing our hard earned cash, to keep them in M5's and AMG (Come to Carrickmacross Monaghan if you dont believe me) and thus I dont believe that petrol stations are making a lost and going out of business.

Have you ever seen an empty forecourt????

I hate this country!

If you don't believe theres ones going out of business how can you explain about 1000 stations closing in a decade?

MYOB wrote: »
    If you don't believe theres ones going out of business how can you explain about 1000 stations closing in a decade?

Bad management and site location.

There is four petrol stations in the small town I live in, and three of them have had major work done to the premises in the last two years, the owner of one drives an AMG one week and and M5 the next. Maybe he won the lotto, the other owners also like driving big cars Range Rover Vogue for example.

It would be fairly unlikely for 'bad managment and site location' to suddenly hit HALF of an entire industry, when often the stations in question had been ticking over grand for decades.

We've had a station owner post in this thread as it is - they make their money off the shops. My local Centra owner drives a 7 series - there is a lot of cash to be made in convenience stores these days.

These are solely petrol stations with small shops, there was a fifth which was badly located because when the new by pass opened the old main road was only basicly used for residents only kinda thing and they went out of business.

Alot of stations have copped on to the fact that they cant make money on fuel alone and have developed their stations into small shops as well - this is called good management!

Anyway all this aside the price at the jumps should be reducing at a quicker rate than it is.

Look back in this thread at the price list for the actual retailers - they cannot make it drop any further. Blame lies with the distributors, not station owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

It's a joke alright.. eveyone is "used" to having to pay an exorbanent price for petrol.

• Advertisement

kluivert wrote: »
    +1 with Bazman.

The price at the pumps should be reducing.

I am sick of listening to the excuses, "we bought stock at higher price, wage costs of have gone up......bah bah bah"

The other half travels to Dublin for work everyday, it costs 80e a week to run the oil burner, if the price at the pumps reflected the change in oil and FX difference then this should cost her around 65e a week.

Well done to the owners of petrol stations who are pocketing our hard earned cash, to keep them in M5's and AMG (Come to Carrickmacross Monaghan if you dont believe me) and thus I dont believe that petrol stations are making a lost and going out of business.

Have you ever seen an empty forecourt????

I hate this country!

*yawn* this has been done to death. Most petrol stations make the square root of FA on fuel. In fact many are kept going by the shop where they can make more generous margins.
    I know this for a fact my friend runs one.

If there was really so much profit being made on petrol why are all the forecourts closing?

If you hate the country so much just leave. We have enough whingers! I think you might be if for a shock how expensive fuel is other countries, we are on the cheaper end of the scale.:D

Advertisement