Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on getting started please

Options
  • 09-09-2008 10:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Hi all,

Ive been eager to get into building machines for a while. Now that im finished college and am starting my first "real job" next week I can!

Unfortunately my first attempts to scout components on the internet has been less then successful.. I assumed that it would be as easy as fitting pieces together like lego and that I would pick it up pretty quickly.......

I also thought that components are actually supposed to do what they say they do! From what I understand some lower spec components (eg graphics cards) can outperform higher spec ones. For example, I saw a 1gb graphics card on sale for 70-80e and thought "something's not right here", considering other brands cost 150e+. So rather than buying the card, or any components for that matter, i decided to buy the most up to date book on building computers i could. 20e wisely spent i think!

Ill be posting questions in the future, and probably be submitting a few builds, (once ive digested that book!).

Any pointers for someone starting out?

Whats the best source for component performance information? Im just a little mystified how someone says "dont buy x, its cack, y is much faster/reliable/better" even though x and y seem to have the same spec.

I have a dell which is around 5 years old which im going to tinker around with for the next few weeks. Im hoping to salvage perhaps the power supply, case and a few other bits and pieces.

Thanks for reading my rather lengthy first post! Now that introductions are over ill be looking forward to contributing/asking stupid questions on this forum!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

welcome to boards, kompett.ie dabs.ie and hardwareversand.de are good for components

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭jonny72

Try to find and read quality reviews on components.

A 256mb video card can be twice or three times as fast as a 1 gig video card, a 2.4 ghz processor can be faster than a 3.4 ghz processor, etc

Advertisement