Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

turkey breasts how to cook?

• 09-09-2008 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭

Can anyone give me low fat recipes that I can use to cook turkey breasts that I buy in Lidl. I nee to reduce cholerestol and have been told that turkey ans salmon are the lowest fats but I find the turkey breast much dryer than chicken breast so something that is easy and fast please

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

My OH has to watch his cholesterol too. I used this recipe for teriyaki salmon from the BBC website: http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/teriyakisalmon_66107.shtml

I've made it now with both the salmon and turkey breast and it is delicious. If you use a low salt soy sauce, it's even better for you. Plus the sesame oil on the noodles is one of those oils that's good for reducing cholesterol. I serve it with mangeout or sweet red peppers on the side.

The other good thing about this recipe is that it takes about 10 mins prep time and then 10 mins cooking time.

Also try marinating the breasts for even an hour or so and you should see the difference. I'll often butterfly a chicken fillet and leave it to marinate in olive oil with a little salt, pepper, lemon juice and fresh herbs. Then I flash fry it in a pan with some more olive oil, makes it really moist and tasty. Or you could grill it.

Also this is my recipe for healthy fish and chips:

Take a fillet of salmon or trout, rub a little olive oil, lemon juice, a small bit of salt and pepper and some appropriate herbs (I like herb de provance or a little dill). Grill for about 10 - 20 mins till done.

For the "chips"; cut up potatoes into bite size pieces, put in pot and bring to boil for about 5 mins. Put onto a tray and toss in olive oil with salt, pepper and herbs. You can also add fresh springs of herbs or garlic cloves. Put into hot oven for 20 - 30 mins till golden brown. I serve these with roasted red peppers or roasted mushrooms which have been tossed in macadamia nut oil (also good for cholesterol).

I know you just wanted turkey recipes but I threw in the fish for free! I know how hard it is to try and come with tasty, low cholesterol food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

RE the turkey breast from lidl..

I usually half it, Stuff it.. And tie it closed...

Then I put it in a casserole dish with a good glass of white wine thrown into it.. Make sure the lid is on and bake it in the oven, the wine seems to keep it very moist and very tasty..

I am sure you could substitute the wine for chicken or veg stock? If it suited better.

Enjoy..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Use it for stir fry, or turkey karoma or sweet and sour, anything with a sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

I actually find that if you grill the turkey breast on the George Forerman it comes out really tender and juicy. I normally season it with some black pepper and paprika, and then grill it. Make sure not to overcook it, should be on it no more than 5-7 minutes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Just use it in the exact same way you would a chicken breast, but be careful you don't dry it out.

The turkey mince from Aldi is also a great buy - I use it to make white chilli.

Think it's mad that the turkey breast is so much cheaper than their chicken fillets.

• Advertisement
Advertisement