Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FedEx threatening to sue me

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 aurora03

Hi all.

I'm new to the forum, so if this is the wrong section, I apologise. I was googling around for one thing and the other and I guess I ended up needing the advice of a solicitor. I hope someone here can help. Or is at least consumer-minded enough to be able to offer some advice.

Basically, in May I ordered something from the US and it was shipped via FedEx. The item itself cost just under $80, plus another $40 P+P. The item arrived, I never heard from FedEx again, and just yesterday I received a letter from a Scottish debt collection agency demanding I pay €32.05 or face “formal proceedings”. And now some debt collectors have all my information and are threatening to sue and mess up my credit rating - all for €32.05.

If I owed them money then, fair enough, I would have paid. What's irritating me about all this is just how out of the blue it was. This instance was my first - and you can betcha my last - time using FedEx. I was not aware of any admin / duty fees or that I would have had to pay VAT to these people. I hadn't received a single communication from FedEx since May - not a single letter or e-mail or phone call of any sort, yet alone any communication indicating I owed them money - but yesterday I get a threatening letter from a debt collection agency demanding money?! Is this even legal?!

And also, would anyone happen to know the address of any FedEx office in Dublin (preferably the city centre)? I’ve tried calling both FedEx and the Scottish company (Avance), but neither are even answering their phones. I sent an e-mail to the later yesterday afternoon, but no reply.

Thanks for any help you could give.
    Hi Address for FedEx is...FedEx GTS Dept,3a Airways Ind Est,Cloghran,Dublin 17.. Good Luck..Need It...Aurora03

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 googs

EL_Loco wrote: »
    What are the implications of leaving your goods at the port until you pay the VAT and Duty privately? How does Joe Public do it if they want not to incur the charge?

If you don't want to pay the Vat and Duty you are free to refuse the goods and they will just hold on to them for a while until they get instructions from Revenue to either destroy them or send back to origin...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

Hi all.

Basically, in May I ordered something from the US and it was shipped via FedEx. The item itself cost just under $80, plus another $40 P+P. The item arrived, I never heard from FedEx again, and just yesterday I received a letter from a Scottish debt collection agency demanding I pay €32.05 or face “formal proceedings”. And now some debt collectors have all my information and are threatening to sue and mess up my credit rating - all for €32.05.

Thanks for any help you could give.

I received a "Final Notice" from Avance this week in relation to fedex.
    I heard nothing about the invoice in question before this.
    I've called Fedex and they seem unable to tell me what package this
    relates too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭rkevin

my advise is to email fedex and tell them that they breached the data protection act and that when you signed for the delivery that was the contract completed between you and them
    i did this and they back off very quick
    as for the debit company they are all talk
    i did not pay them and i call on you guys not to pay

cros13 wrote: »
    I received a "Final Notice" from Avance this week in relation to fedex.
    I heard nothing about the invoice in question before this.
    I've called Fedex and they seem unable to tell me what package this
    relates too...
    Hi. 32 euro is far to much money to pay on 80 euro..Watch My Post to be sent soon.

• Advertisement

I recently ordered one item from the US..it arrived one week ago delivered by Fedex..opened it immediately and discovered item was not in box..i called delivery man back and explained what happened..box was completely intact..he phoned Fedex also another person phoned them.. i also emailed the US company who.s investigating..thought all was ok..I got a bill from Fedex..Coventry..asking for euro 61.68 Vat/Duty..euro 12.35 Delivery charge..euro 10 Administration charge..euro 2.15 Vat=86.18..I emailed Coventry and explained everything to them..got quick reply..they said that while my query is being investigated invoice will be put on hold..Fedex in Dublin should have got in touch with them when i first made the report...I got another order from same US company before..it arrived to Dublin I had to pay first to release order..din,nt get an invoice..I find Fedex Coventry good..at least they,re putting the Bill on hold until a resolution is reached and i got an invoice.So Far So Good.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭northdubgal

rkevin wrote: »

He also informed me that he belives that fedex have breached the Data
    Protection laws in Ireland http://www.dataprotection.ie by giving my
    Detail to Avance and i now require the contract that Fedex have with
    Avance so i can get the Data Protection commissioner in ireland to
    review this case
    http://www.dataprotection.ie

I am in the same boat as you and was told by Data Protection that what FedEx did was legal and well within their rights.

I never received an invoice from FedEx and now all of a sudden keep getting theses threatening letters from Avance. I told them I never receieved anything and they said they will post one out to me but I am still waiting.

It's a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 niallmurph

The pay your customs charges for you. Then ask for the money afterwards. They do it so they can get things delivered faster. That's really good. FedEx are sound. No need to be stingey. Pay what you owe.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,515 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

niallmurph wrote: »
    The pay your customs charges for you. Then ask for the money afterwards. They do it so they can get things delivered faster. That's really good. FedEx are sound. No need to be stingey. Pay what you owe.

Its grand if they invoice you quickly and correctly but not 6 months later, and charging me VAT on books etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

You should be made aware of the charges before delivery or on delivery, not 2 - 6 months after.

If FedEx don't make you aware that they pay the charge and you sign for and accept it without these charges and without been made aware of them then to be honest with you it's FedEx problem. That's like me going into a store and buying something and then months later that store decides to send me a letter saying they want extra money for the product they sold me :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

I've just had a similar problem - received my parcel and a few weeks later got a letter from Fedex asking me for the €amount tax plus a €10 "handling fee". I spent a small fortune on the phone to them looking for a receipt, repeatedly emailed but only received a page with random numbers and abbreviations all over it. Got a second letter saying account overdue so I just paid up. The next week got a letter saying they were going to take me to court if i didn't pay!! Sent an email saying how awful their customer service was - it took them nearly 3 weeks to reply to my email looking for a receipt, but only a week between the account overdue letter and the letter saying they'd take me to court if I didn't pay (even though I'd paid and my cheque had been cashed!). Horrible shower of b*******!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭rkevin

niall
    u need to read this thread
    the big issue is the fee they charge you for them to collect tax for them irish goverement
    eg they charged me 12 euro
    if they but that on say 100000 orders a week it will equal 1.2 million
    when i told them that what they were doing need to be regulated they s**T a brick and backed off so they know what they are doing has big issues
    k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 billyboburban

I get stuff delivered all the time and I only get charged customs duties when FedEx or UPS are the handler.

USPS almost never apply charges and if they do, the bill you get is from the government's customs department (This only ever happened once)

Now I did mostly give in and pay FedEx & UPS charges until one day I got a bill for 70 euro. After sending off some angry emails I just decided to ignore them....

After about 6 to 9 months they eventfully gave up sending me threatening letters and I've heard nothing since :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I seriously don't know how yous are getting away with this, when ever I owe customs and duty charges to UPS or TNT, they call to the door with the invoice. If I don't pay the goods are left on the van and returend to the depot until paid. There is even instructions on the packages C.O.D cash on delivery and the drivers will not let you sign for the packes unless you pay them.

I once had to pay €120 odd on a €580+ delivery including shipping for duty, handling fees and customs. Thats the way it works.

Advertisement