Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netopia 2247nwg-eir problem

Options
  • 09-09-2008 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi,

I'm an eircom customer and getting my speed upgraded but was advised i need a new router as my current one is too old(Netopia 3347NWG)

So out in the post i get my new router, I set it up using a cable directly connected. Change the ssid and network key - Search for the wireless network - no networks available - go through all the settings over and over still no change - change the channel frequency from 7 to every other number and still no change.

I rang eircom and they sent me out another new router... same problem. I have searched for the network on 2 laptops and a Nokia N82 and never see the network. On the nokia the network showed up for a second and went again never to be seen again.

The BB works perfect with the enet cable directly connected but never shows up in the wireless and if i reconnect my old router (3347NWG) it also works perfect.

Any ideas what could be causing this issue? any help will be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭dunworth1

is the ssid broadcasting.

you wont be able to see the network unless it is broadcasting.

don't know where it is on your router but on my d-link its in advanced then in performance

• Registered Users Posts: 41 RandomPerson13

dunworth1 wrote: »
    is the ssid broadcasting.

you wont be able to see the network unless it is broadcasting.

don't know where it is on your router but on my d-link its in advanced then in performance

Yes the ssid is broadcasting. On this router if the ssid is not broadcasting none of the wireless settings can be changed and if it is off a message in big red letters will tell you its not broadcasting on the home page of the router.

Thanks for the reply

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Looks like EIRCOM have a dodgy batrch of Modems being handed out as this is becoming quite a theme.

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 41 RandomPerson13

Just an update on this issue - The wireless signal is not being received because of a wireless video sender i had for sending the sky signal around the house. This interfered with every channel on the router and when i plugged it out the video sender everything was perfect.

Thanks for the replys

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Just an update on this issue - The wireless signal is not being received because of a wireless video sender i had for sending the sky signal around the house. This interfered with every channel on the router and when i plugged it out the video sender everything was perfect.

Thanks for the replys

Glad you found a solution to this and I can confirm that these video senders are a disaster for wireless signals. Friend of mine had similar problems and removing the video sender solved it. Very easy to forget the possibility of one of these things being present when trying to diagnose the problem.

• Advertisement

TBH First time hearing this for me but then I'd wire a video link but thats just coz of really thick walls.

MC

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

TBH First time hearing this for me but then I'd wire a video link but thats just coz of really thick walls.

MC

I actually meant to post about this a few weeks ago when the incident with the friend happened. I had been trying to diagnose it over the phone and it would never have occourred to me to ask if there was one of these things around.

It was peculiar at the time too because there were two laptops present and it only affected one of them.

Prob find they have different chipsets or something quirky like that, anyhooo thanks for noting it as a potential issue.

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭ainiseoir

Hi, eircom customer,
    Were you a 3MB to 7MB person?
    I also have an Netopia 3347NMG since '05 and had wondered if i should upgrade.
    I see you got your problem sorted, but would like to know if getting a new router was worth the hassle.
    I have my doubts about the Netopia especially since getting the new ipod touch. The connection with the wireless very flakey, and a Time Capsule to add to the mix as well!
    Thanks

Hi,

I'm an eircom customer and getting my speed upgraded but was advised i need a new router as my current one is too old(Netopia 3347NWG)

So out in the post i get my new router, I set it up using a cable directly connected. Change the ssid and network key - Search for the wireless network - no networks available - go through all the settings over and over still no change - change the channel frequency from 7 to every other number and still no change.

I rang eircom and they sent me out another new router... same problem. I have searched for the network on 2 laptops and a Nokia N82 and never see the network. On the nokia the network showed up for a second and went again never to be seen again.

The BB works perfect with the enet cable directly connected but never shows up in the wireless and if i reconnect my old router (3347NWG) it also works perfect.

Any ideas what could be causing this issue? any help will be greatly appreciated

Advertisement