Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fertilised pumpkins that are no longer growing?

Options
  • 10-09-2008 12:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

I have this strange problem. I started 2 pumpkin plants earlier this year and had 3 fertilisations. I know this as each of them started to grow rapidly as the other female flower buds rotted and I removed them; I was happy with three so I have also since removed any male flowers that have appeared. Now though, I seem to have been left with only one growing (now nearly the size of a football) and the two others have been stunted at about the size of 5-6 inches in diameter. They also appear to have already developed the thick skin you would expect to find on a mature pumpkin.

I have tried google yadda yadda but it's saturated with how to grow giant pumpkins so I haven't found much help there. Also a book I use for gardening has no mention of this happening.
    Does anyone here know what might have gone wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

The pumpkins will stop growing about now, it is due to day length, you will find that the stems and leaves will start to wither and die off.
    Just cut the stem off about 1" above the pumpkin and put them in a cool dry place to store.
    I had 3 last year 2 large pale orange ones and one small green one from the same vine.
    The big ones were soggy but the small green one was sweet and dry.
    I didn't grow any this year and with the poor weather maybe just as well they could easily rot on the ground especially if they get any scratches on the skin.

Advertisement