Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Other People's Breast Milk....

• 10-09-2008 12:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭

I was watching a programme on channel 4 tonight about breast milk....

Women breast feeding each others kids. One guy turning it into smoothies and drinking it as a cure for prostate cancer.

At the end of the show, the presenter held a little party and served a platter. On it was shots of breast milk, strawberries and breast milk cream and breast milk smoothies.

Now, considering this milk could have been from any oul stranger, would you have been willing to sample some of the breast delights from the platter?

Do you consider it more strange to consume milk from animals. Or do you think the above is wrong?

Discuss..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭karlr42

Fail, this was discussed two weeks ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

karlr42 wrote: »
    Fail, this was discussed two weeks ago
    Was it? The programme was only on tonight....

I don't spend much time trawling through old threads so I must have missed that....

Lock it so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

"Fail" - charming :D

Anyway, tis SICK!!! Makes much more sense to be drinking milk from a cow - I can't say exactly why, but it just DOES ok??!! And any woman who says she'd drink breast milk is a LEZZER!!! And a cannibal! :mad:

Nah seriously, the stuff you've described in the programme seems bloody weird but that's only because I've been conditioned to believe so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,528 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

To borrow a quote: Women are the cows of people! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

It's quite strange to say, but this has already been discussed......

I'd probably instinctively wince at the thought of drinking breast milk, but have no logical objections to it.

I don't consider it disgusting or anything.

I'd drink Dudess's boob milk, no probs.

Dudess wrote: »

Nah seriously, the stuff you've described in the programme seems bloody weird but that's only because I've been conditioned to believe so.
    You think that's bad, Dudess?? One of the women said she babysat children and breast fed them without the permission of their parents..

She also added that she felt 'sexually connected' to the children after doing so.

/shudder

Good on you for finding the original thread. So efficient.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Not long ago Channel 4 had a docu about people breastfeeding their kids who were 8 or 9 years old. Where the fcuk do they find this crowd?

Saying that there was once a thread on Parenting discussing burying placenta under a tree in the back garden whilst reciting poetry in the company of family and friends, I sh1t you not. An alternative to baptism. So rest assured some earth mother geebag from there will be on this thread imminently to scold our uptight ways.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

No need for attitude, bet you get smacked a lot when you go out.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭karlr42

FearDark wrote: »
    No need for attitude, bet you get smacked a lot when you go out.:D
    Sure, just the other day I was on the bus and heard some people talking about womens' attitudes in nightclubs- "Fail," I announced, "that was discussed on boards.ie last week!". Needless to the say, I got smacked raw ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I don't like milk so no.

Tha Gopher wrote: »
    Not long ago Channel 4 had a docu about people breastfeeding their kids who were 8 or 9 years old. Where the fcuk do they find this crowd?
    Yeh and the hubby getting in on the action too, having a good oul slurp.

D'kids were biting the tits off her too - it was so disturbing.

I once witnessed a woman breast feeding a four year old boy on the bus. I kid you not. She was by no means discreet and again, he was biting the boob off her.. Worst thing? He was in his school uniform....

But if you knew for sure that breast milk cured cancer, say, would you drink it then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

Should they not perhaps make sure all the babies in the world get their share of breast milk before all the adults jump on board? It's one thing sharing your breast milk with another womans child, but selling it to adults is frankly a little weird.. It may be a taboo or whatever that repulses me about the concept but breast milk is not as plentiful as animal milk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Have to say the idea of it was/is disgusting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

the people who do these kind of things are usually hippies.

they are the kind of people who would let their kid run wild because they dont want to "impose boundaries" on their children or nonsense similar to that.

the kids that are being breastfed at 8 or 9 years old are going to be messed up. unlike a normal child ,who is only breastfed when they are a young baby, those kids will actually have memories of sucking their mothers tits.

Alessandra wrote: »
    Should they not perhaps make sure all the babies in the world get their share of breast milk before all the adults jump on board? It's one thing sharing your breast milk with another womans child, but selling it to adults is frankly a little weird.. It may be a taboo or whatever that repulses me about the concept but breast milk is not as plentiful as animal milk.
    Even if breast milk consumption for humans cured cancer?

Another interesting point on the programme was a woman who went to an area of genocide in Africa and breast fed 3 baby orphans back to health. They were dying of starvation. So as much I was creeped out before programme, I would do what that lady did in a heartbeat.

Willy nilly breastfeeding other women's children though - hmm. Their argument is that formula is bad for babies and if they can get their hands on breast milk from someone else, they'd prefer to do that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Breast milk is better for babies. Cows milk is good for calves. I'd drink breast milk no bother. Have done in the past(once). Watery and very light taste. Not greasy like cows milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭binhead

I can only drink the pink milk, nice and watery, the real stuff leaves a taste of glug in my mouth and images of glug and mucus filled cows being unnaturally drained of their milch flash through my mind and I gag.

I pretty much feel the same about drinking the milk out of a woman's milk bag.

I dunno. It would be warm for a start, warm milk, No f*ckin way!

But that rack on ice.

sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Wibbs wrote: »
    Breast milk is better for babies. Cows milk is good for calves. I'd drink breast milk no bother. Have done in the past(once). Watery and very light taste. Not greasy like cows milk.

Greasy? What sort of ****ed up cows are you milking? Breastmilk ftw imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

I tried it once

the judge said I needed permission however

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Greasy? What sort of ****ed up cows are you milking? Breastmilk ftw imo.

Maybe he's 'milking' bulls?

Lulz that must be it Xavi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I just like the containers it comes in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Hagar wrote: »
    I just like the containers it comes in.

Have to agree with you there Hagar, the packaging is quite pleasing on the eye. Have to take my hat off to the designer :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Saying that there was once a thread on Parenting discussing burying placenta under a tree in the back garden whilst reciting poetry in the company of family and friends, I sh1t you not. An alternative to baptism. So rest assured some earth mother geebag from there will be on this thread imminently to scold our uptight ways.

lollers

Breastmilk is for babies, don't see why I would need to drink it and I drink very little cows/goats milk anyway.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I have a plan to produce a line of cheeses made by human breast milk. Hasn't got off the ground yet, but as soon as I can sign up a couple of hundred Malawians to provide the juice, I'm in there. You wouldn't believe the prices people will pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭mehfesto2

Ricky Gervais said it best:

"No I don't want your breast milk pudding!! It can be as natural as it wasnt love, I'm not having it. Sure, a cum sandwich is natural, but I don't see you racing out to get one of those. Jizz-flan anyone?!..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Drift

I'd drink it to see what it tastes like. It would have to be from a woman I know pretty well though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Speaking from experience, it doesn't actually taste too bad, though it is a little weird regardless. In the height of passion though, it's a fairly feckin' erotic thing to do, nothing like having your face squirted with breast milk...

I couldn't watch that programme on Ch4 though, I was afriad of it turning me off the whole thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 pwp

very interesting topic. i guess it would be weird but how weird is drinking the milk from a cow, when you really think about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Tri wrote: »

You seem pretty fixated on this cancer angle. I think most people would drink it if it cured cancer. Well, most people with cancer anyway.

If it only prevented, or reduced incidence of, cancer I think there would still be a lot of resistance to it. Personally, I wouldn't have a problem drinking the breast milk of a woman I wasn't related to, though I've no desire to do so either.

But I can think of far weirder pastimes people have than this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

You think that's bad, Dudess?? One of the women said she babysat children and breast fed them without the permission of their parents..

She also added that she felt 'sexually connected' to the children after doing so.

/shudder

that particular woman was quite disturbing. and i found the friends who passed their kids round to each other for feeding a bit strange also. the woman who fed starving orphans out of sheer necessity was a good advertisement for this, and fair play to her. otherwise i thought it was strange.

if i had kids, theres no way i'd let someone else breastfeed them.
    i'd never breastfeed anyone elses child---- it would feel too weird.

Dave! wrote: »
    I'd drink Dudess's boob milk, no probs.
    Thank you. That is very kind of you.

Meh, if women's milk was pasteurised and put in cartons in cold storage (like cow's milk) yeah I'd drink it no prob (provided I liked the taste of it).

Yeah, breastfeeding a child past a certain age is strange all right. I watched the other programme mentioned (on Channel 4 a few years ago at this stage) and the kids (aged up to 10) were obsessed with being breastfed. The 10-year-old girl said she'd like big boobs when she was older so she could suck on them herself...
    Looking at other species, I don't think nature intended it for those older than babbies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭keen

I'd drink someones piss if it cured cancer, I think drinking someone elses breastmilk would be a small price to pay to save my life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I'd imagine it's more a case of preventing cancer. That's another matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭SmileyPaul

ewwwww
    no I would never drink milk from the breasts of a stranger.....
    thats naff

What if it was pasteurised, packaged and put in cold storage and it tasted all right (in the same way as the milk you drink which comes from a cow's udder ;))?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

I wish there was a program about breastfeeding called "Breastfeeding: its good for your baby!". Instead we get "Extreme Breastfeeding: Hairy weirdos tandem feeding teenagers!" and "Other Peoples Breast Milk: go on, have a suck! Dare ya!"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

Drift wrote: »
    I'd drink it to see what it tastes like. It would have to be from a woman I know pretty well though.
    yore ma?

What if it was pasteurised, packaged and put in cold storage and it tasted all right (in the same way as the milk you drink which comes from a cow's udder ;))?

pfft, pasteurised, everyone knows raw milk is the wave of the future!

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭diamondp

What the feck is going on with breastfeeding other people babies. i saw about 5 mins of that programme and thats all i could stomach. No wounder the world is getting more fu*ked up by the min. I was always under the impressing that a bound was formed with your baby by breastfeeding them? (as well as it being very good for them)

Meh, it's strange to breastfeed another person's baby, but sick? Unless the intentions are sinister, why? It might literally be just because the baby's own mother can't or doesn't want to breastfeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Meh, it's strange to breastfeed another person's baby, but sick? Unless the intentions are sinister, why?

So if a stranger were to suckle at your breast you'd find it strange but not sick or sinister?

I may hold you to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Homer

Kold wrote: »
    I'd imagine it's more a case of preventing cancer. That's another matter.

What if the breastfeeding woman happened to have breast ca.............. ah never mind. Forget I mentioned it :eek:

Move along. Nothing to see here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

Yeh and the hubby getting in on the action too, having a good oul slurp.

D'kids were biting the tits off her too - it was so disturbing.

I once witnessed a woman breast feeding a four year old boy on the bus. I kid you not. She was by no means discreet and again, he was biting the boob off her.. Worst thing? He was in his school uniform....

But if you knew for sure that breast milk cured cancer, say, would you drink it then?

I don't drink cows milk and I would not drink humans milk, only because I think milk tastes disgusting and it can't be good for adults. However, I don't see why women feeding each other's kids is weird, wet nurses have been used all throughout history. I'm sure it's weirder to feed them cows milk. However, if breast milk could cure my myriad of hideous diseases then yes, I would drink it, although preferably not straight from someone's breast.
    As for the woman breastfeeding her 4 year old, humans are designed to breastfeed their kids until they're about 7 years old, so I'd say there's nothing wrong with that, people's general attitudes towards it should lighten up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Not long ago Channel 4 had a docu about people breastfeeding their kids who were 8 or 9 years old. Where the fcuk do they find this crowd?.

Apparently the footballer Ronaldo, (ugly one not the young one) was breast fed up till he was seven or eight. Used to run off the pitch for a quick suck and then back in!

Saw a programme with Hugh Fearnly Whittingstall where a family cooked and ate the placenta at a party with friends.

Noice.

Earthhorse wrote: »
    You seem pretty fixated on this cancer angle. I think most people would drink it if it cured cancer. Well, most people with cancer anyway.

If it only prevented, or reduced incidence of, cancer I think there would still be a lot of resistance to it. Personally, I wouldn't have a problem drinking the breast milk of a woman I wasn't related to, though I've no desire to do so either.

But I can think of far weirder pastimes people have than this.

Well I just thought that point was really interesting. The dude who had prostate cancer found that drinking it had kept him in remission. One of the times he didn't get it, his blood levels (or something to do with cancer returning anyway - cant remember now) shot up and when he got it again, they went down.

My point was if that people thought it was disgusting etc - surely they would change their minds if it cured cancer...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Was slightly crosseyed looking at the main boards page just now and thought this was a bargain alerts thread... Slightly disappointed tbh

Well I just thought that point was really interesting. The dude who had prostate cancer found that drinking it had kept him in remission. One of the times he didn't get it, his blood levels (or something to do with cancer returning anyway - cant remember now) shot up and when he got it again, they went down.

My point was if that people thought it was disgusting etc - surely they would change their minds if it cured cancer...

I doubt it, chemotherapy cures cancer (sometimes) and that's pretty disgusting. I'd much prefer breast milk anyways...