Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In a position to bargain?

Options
  • 10-09-2008 12:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm moving ot Dublin in a few weeks for college/work so I am going through the hassle of trying to find a place to live.

I was just wondering, does anybody know/think it would be out of line to try and negotiate with potential land lords about the prices they charge for rent.
    Some of the prices seem to be very steep for what your getting and i'm beginning to wonder if they are that high to allow for haggling?

Any advice/input would be appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭mrgaa1

if you don't ask you don't get. Find out how long the room / place has been vacant. the longer its been vacant the more likely you are to get the price down. If its been a longtime then perhaps there are other issues. And point out items that are looking bad - walls may need painting - floor not overly clean - etc....... and don't start your bargaining until you've viewed the entire property. Make these comments on the way - a hardnosed landlord won't give a toss - others may listen. Offer to setup a standing order with an amount - never do a direct debit with a landlord. A standing order you give to someone - a DD is taken from you. A standing order amount can't be changed without cancelling and re-doing. A DD can be changed with some notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

Haggle like hell. Never a better time to be renting. There are so many apartments for rent and asking prices are only aspirational

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭white_falcon

we got our rent down from 1300 a month to 1100 a month after turning down a place as it was too expensive :)

"dumb priest never got a parish" :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

One thing to remember is very few landlords look favourably towards renting to students- fullstop. Its not a case of negotiating on the rent, its more a case of persuading them to allow you to take a lease from them in the first instance.

Its not a good time of the year to be seeking accommodation- its very possible that in perhaps a month or two that this might change.

We´d really need more information if you´d like us to give you suggestions of what to expect etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Yup, it's a bit optimistic to expect to be able to negotiate from your position.

Student accommodation automatically attracts a premium price because the lease is so short, and there is inevitably a 'gap' between tenants. That's before unfair and embarassing stereotypes of student behaviour are invoked.

• Advertisement
Advertisement