Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LHC - Largest experiment in history

Options
  • 10-09-2008 12:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭

10th September 2008 - 9am CEST (GMT+2) will be remembered as the time when European Organization for Nuclear Research started the biggest science experiment in history.

What the LHC is?
    The Large Hadron Collider (LHC) is the world's largest particle accelerator complex, intended to collide opposing beams of 7 TeV protons. Its main purpose is to explore the validity and limitations of the Standard Model, the current theoretical picture for particle physics. The LHC was built by the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN), and lies under the Franco-Swiss border near Geneva, Switzerland.

The LHC is the world's largest and highest-energy particle accelerator. The collider is contained in a circular tunnel with a circumference of 27 kilometres (17 mi) at a depth ranging from 50 to 175 metres underground. The 3.8 metre diameter, concrete-lined tunnel, constructed between 1983 and 1988,[9] was formerly used to house the LEP, an electron-positron collider. It crosses the border between Switzerland and France at four points, although most of it is in France. (wikipedia)

Video about experiment

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭gamblitis

Can't wait to see the results of this. Should be an amazing experiment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

gamblitis wrote: »
    You don't have to wait for results, you can see it live on http://webcast.cern.ch

And that's how black hole would work like:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moEzECvJDas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 se51

Whatever the outcome... it will provide us with new insights into the fabric of space. Which in itself is highly interesting. I'm eagerly awaiting for the switch to be turned on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Brigantia

i watched it myself today, it was amazing.

is there anywhere on the net you can watch it again?

• Advertisement

Brigantia wrote: »
    i watched it myself today, it was amazing.

is there anywhere on the net you can watch it again?
    I would check YouTube, the website of CEST and the website of European Space Agency (ESA.int)..

Unfortunately I use Three broadband which sucks...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭gamblitis

WooPeeA wrote: »
    You don't have to wait for results, you can see it live on http://webcast.cern.ch

I don't have broadband unfortunately :(

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

gamblitis wrote: »

:D

The Channel Wire
    September 23, 2008
    Major Glitch Takes Down Large Hadron Collider
    Just days after the successful first tests of the Large Hadron Collider (LHC), the world's largest and most powerful particle accelerator, scientists have revealed that a malfunction in the LHC will keep it offline until Spring of 2009. In a statement issued Tuesday, the Geneva-based European Organization for Nuclear Research, known by its French acronym CERN, said the problem stems from a helium leak in one of the sectors of the LHC, a 17 mile-long ring-shaped tunnel situated underground on the France-Switzerland border. Scientists believe the leak was triggered by an electrical malfunction between two of the powerful magnets that help to power the LHC.
    Sometime in October, researchers had hoped to begin using the LHC for the purpose for which it was designed: to crash particles together with such massive force that it'll hopefully provide them with a glimpse into the origins of matter and shed light on some of the unanswered questions of physics.
    In order to fix the helium leak, researchers will have to bring the LHC from its operating temperature of 1.9 Kelvin, or minus 456 degrees Fahrenheit, up to room temperature, a process that will take between 3 and 4 weeks. That will run into the LHC's planned Winter maintenance window, which means scientists won't be cranking it up again until March or April of 2009.
    "Coming immediately after the very successful start of LHC operation on 10 September, this is undoubtedly a psychological blow," said CERN Director General Robert Aymar, in a statement.
    Posted by Kevin McLaughlin at 7:49 PM

Advertisement