Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RDF eyetest

• 10-09-2008 2:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

I wear glasses and I'd love to join the RDF, but I've heard that you can't join if your eyesight is too bad. Does anyone know what 'level' your eyesight has to be for the RDF?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

IIRC, 6/9 6/6 unaided.

But it really depends on who tests you for whether or not you are accepted in the RDF!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Tribunius

IIRC, 6/9 6/6 unaided.

But it really depends on who tests you for whether or not you are accepted in the RDF!!!

Ah that can't be right. The cadet standard is 6/18 and I know that is stricter than the one for general service i.e. the one for the RDF aswell. I would say call what ever unit you plan to join and find out from the horses mouth as it were. There is a chance they mightn't know in which case just go for it anyway and see what happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Tribunius wrote: »
    Ah that can't be right. The cadet standard is 6/18 and I know that is stricter than the one for general service i.e. the one for the RDF aswell. I would say call what ever unit you plan to join and find out from the horses mouth as it were. There is a chance they mightn't know in which case just go for it anyway and see what happens.

Then it could be Aided, I know I have seen them numbers together for it anyway!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Tribunius

Then it could be Aided, I know I have seen them numbers together for it anyway!!!

Yeah I think your right. 6/6 is perfect sight after all.

Here is an interesting chart on wikipedia. Its not 100% but should give people an idea.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_acuity

Advertisement