Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

List of great Artists/Albums needed.....

Options
  • 10-09-2008 2:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭

Well its got to the point where the music player needs a complete music re-vamp as I pretty much listen to the same stuff on my way to/from work and only use up about 30gb of an 80gb player.

I have on many occasions searched for lists of old/new artists that people are listening to on other forums but those type of threads always turn into discussion and debate about whats cr@p and whats not and rarely get far so im looking to Boards users for assistance.

Quite simply if you can post up an Artist or album that you think is really good and state what genre it is and why you like it or any additional info, it would be really helpful for me and im guessing others to help broaden their music horizons.

Id ask for people to stay clear of debate on an artist,everyone has their own tastes and opinions and its nobodys business to knock that. If your into an artist mentioned and want to comment fine but if your not please say nothing.

just looking to discover some new music to listen to.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Can you give an idea of what your current tastes are?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

It's a little late so I'm not up to writing up a whole big thing here, especially not without some preference. I would recommend something like last.fm though. Basically once you can enter any artist you like and it will play random tacks from similar/related artists. It's pretty cool really but it doesn't get too much use from me. I have too much to listen to as it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭CountryWise

Im open to pretty much anything apart from Dance,Country and POP.

Currently i listen to Rocky Votolato, Elliott Smith, Razorlight,Jimmy Eat World,Brand New, Straylight Run, Snow patrol, Ash, The Beach boys, Biffy Clyro, Brandtson, Counting Crows, Crowded House, Damien Rice,Bowie, David Gray, Feeder, Pete Murray......

I could really go on for a while, but im not particularly looking for artists like those above, someone might suggest something and I might hate it or love it :)

Do you wanna stay to the same kind of genres?

Music is such a broad spectrum! Do you want jazz, folk, opera, pop, rock, hip hop, dance etc?

Sandor wrote: »
    It's a little late so I'm not up to writing up a whole big thing here, especially not without some preference. I would recommend something like last.fm though. Basically once you can enter any artist you like and it will play random tacks from similar/related artists. It's pretty cool really but it doesn't get too much use from me. I have too much to listen to as it is.

Ya i have tried using Pandora Music before its a similar thing but dependent on internet, its when im commuting to work that I have time to try out the new stuff that I may hear about on here.

• Advertisement

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Do you wanna stay to the same kind of genres?

Music is such a broad spectrum! Do you want jazz, folk, opera, pop, rock, hip hop, dance etc?

Sorry i know it is a bit vague but I dont really expect to get too many Opera suggestions on Boards, is that stereotyping :P

Rock,Indie,Acoustic whatever im open to suggestion.

Just want people to name a few of their favourite artists or albums and I can then do a bit online listening and then maybe download from iTunes if I like.

Ok well current listening pleasure of mine would be -

Interpol
    The National
    Alkaline Trio
    British India
    Muse
    Bright Eyes
    Death Cab For Cutie
    My Vitriol
    Doves
    Pigeon Detectives

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭JæKæ

Modest Mouse - Good News For People...
    Super Furry Animals - Phantom Power
    Sigur Ros - Agaetis Byrjun
    Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
    Nick Drake - Five Leaves Left
    Beta Band - 3 EPs
    Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
    Hot Chip - Made in the Dark
    Metallica - Black Album
    Redneck Manifesto - I Am Brazil
    Neil Young - Harvest
    The Decemberists - Crane Wife
    Mark Lanegan Band - Bubblegum
    Bonnie Prince Billy - I See A Darkness

All my favourite acts-and their most accessible albums

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

I'm a bit older than Xavi, and indeed most people:rolleyes:, so my suggestions:

Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense, or a greatest hits album.
    Radiohead - The Bends
    Pink Floyd - Pulse
    Led Zep - there's a few compilations out there, good for newbies.
    Simple Minds - best of
    Genesis - Live over Europe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

Since you like singer songwriters you might like Teddy Thompson

One of the finest around imo but he's at his make or break release, try Seperate Ways his previous (the two tracks are from that album) its excellent, haven't got the latest yet.
    Another band facing a make or break release, finally confirmed for Oct, is the Secret Machines, who's bombastic anthems should satisfy your Snow Patrol leanings

great stuff

If you wanna go for something older you can't go wrong with The Kinks and The Who, I'd start with The Kinks are the Village Green Preservation Society, this is Big Sky

and The Who Live at Leeds, this - Young Man Blues

(although thats the Isle of Wight:pac:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭JaneyMc

Brand New - Alternative Rock
    M.I.A. - Hip Hop
    Queens of The Stone Age - Rock
    Kyuss - Rock
    Unkle - Alt rock / electronic
    We are Scientists - Indie
    Regina Spektor - Indie, accoustic alternative.
    Explosions in the Sky - Rock
    The Yeah Yeah Yeahs -Indie
    The Moldy Peaches - folkish
    The Postal Service - Indie, Electronic
    Dan Le Sac vs Scroobius Pip - Hip Hop (UK) Amazing stuff.
    The Spill Canvas - Indie Rock
    GirlTalk - Mash up.
    Forward, Russia! - Indie
    The Kills - Alternative Rock

I'm crap at genres, pulled most of them off wikipedia, just to let yo know. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 slash291

I'd give some of this a go if you get a chance!

Bright Eyes - any album (Conor Oberst is unbelievable!)
    Daft Punk - Live in NY
    The Shins - Oh Inverted World
    Lou Reed - 1991 Songs for Drella
    The Matches - Decomposer

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Hmz. OP, what currently entices you to music? Do you have the attention span for long compositions? Do you like it when the lyrics are hard hitting? Do you like being caught by a funky 4 minute banger of a track?

I'm going to guess you don't listen to much hip hop so my one 'out there' suggestion is to pick up 'DJ Format - Music for the mature B-Boy' or 'DJ Format - If you can't join them.. BEAT them' the reason being is that a lot of people don't give hip hop any chance at all and DJ Format has changed so many of my friends preconceptions of the genre.

It's funky. It's cool to bounce to. The lyrics are funny and intelligent, provided by MC Abdominal. I think you should give it a try if you're serious about broadening your horizons.

Sick :)

Cheers guys some great stuff so far :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Glassheart

Judging by some of the stuff you listed i think you might really like these two...

Joni Mitchell - Blue
    Carole King - Tapestry

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭RastaRed

1. Bob Marley&The Wailers-Exodus
    2. The Stone Roses-The Stone Roses
    3. Kings Of Leon- Because Of The Times
    4. Oasis- Definately Maybe
    5. The Verve- Urban Hymns
    6. Primal Scream- Screamadelica
    7. U2- The Joshua Tree
    8. The Killers-Hot Fuss
    9. Badly Drawn Boy-The Hour Of The Bewilderbeast
    10. Ian Brown-The Greatest

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭KrazeeEyezKilla

If you haven't checked them out allready you should give The Pixies a go. Doolittle being the obvious first album. Modest Mouse are also good if you want a more modern band. If you want something different to what you're listening to now you could try The Cool Kids, One Day As A Lion, Santogold or Battles.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Dark Artist

Nightwish are a metal band that play with a full orchestra and choir, the same orchestra that did the score for the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Their two lead singers are male and female, and their latest album Dark Passion Play is absolutely outstanding, I'd recommend it to anyone with any taste for heavy rock or movie-score music!

Check this out...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3UGbFtNVbA

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

YouTube is good - sometimes find bands by looking at the related videos or look through comments and you may see comparisons.

Current listening to:
    Flobots - Rap
    Three Days Grace - Rock
    Breaking Benjamin - Rock
    Blue Man Group - Drums & Wierd stuff :)
    Tommy Emmanuel - Technical & skilled acoustic guitarist
    Wierd Al Yankovic - Parodys; some great stuff!
    Paramore - Catchy pop
    Apocalyptica - Interesting, only vocals if their are guest singers...

🤪

Nightwish are a metal band that play with a full orchestra and choir, the same orchestra that did the score for the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Their two lead singers are male and female, and their latest album Dark Passion Play is absolutely outstanding, I'd recommend it to anyone with any taste for heavy rock or movie-score music!

Check this out...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3UGbFtNVbA

jeez that stuff is powerful :eek: great stuff

• Advertisement
Advertisement