Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Zinedine Kilbane Appreciation Thread

• 10-09-2008 4:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭

That's right folks.

Tonight's game with Montenegro marks a monumental occassion in Irish soccer history as Kevin Kilbane makes his 50th consecutive appearance in the green shirt.

http://ukpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5jOb2ufh0vJmK5-gyU8_xFQvULCQg
    Kilbane happy to reach milestone

Kevin Kilbane will make his 50th consecutive competitive appearance for Ireland on Wednesday night insisting he has simply been lucky.

The 31-year-old Wigan defender is in line to win his 90th senior cap at Montenegro's Pogorica City Stadium having braved a fractured cheekbone to take his tally to 89 against Georgia at the weekend.

"I've been very lucky because I've been able to play in a couple of positions over the campaigns," Kilbane said.

"At times, I've just been able to fill in, and that's been pretty much it, to be honest with you. Sometimes, I probably wouldn't have played if injuries had not affected the different positions.

"I suppose I've just been there and been able to take my chance at every opportunity that has arisen."

Only England legend Billy Wright and Greece's Theo Zagorakis can boast longer unbroken runs in competitive games, although Kilbane, in his typically modest way, played down the achievement.

His first cap came 11 years to the day before Saturday's 2-1 win over Georgia in Mainz, a game in which he played with a protective mask over his facial fracture.

Ireland boss Giovanni Trapattoni was hugely impressed not only by Kilbane's willingness to join up with the squad two days after undergoing surgery to repair the damage, which he suffered in Wigan's 5-0 win at Hull, but his determination to play.

Superb stuff from someone who has been a loyal servant to us over the past decade. Despite not being born in Ireland and growing up in England, he is one of the few belting out the national anthem before every game.

Probably his best performance for Ireland was the away game in Paris 4 years ago when he was outstanding.

Never a man to complain, he has played in a number of positions and has given his all in each of them. His commitment to the cause has been further emphasised in the past week with his desire to continue playing despite a fractured cheekbone.

So let's all raise our glasses and salute our very own Mr. Reliable!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

One of the most consistent players in the Green Jersey.

GG Kilbane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Never realised he was the 3rd capped player in Irish history!!
    Edit: Never realised he was the 3rd highest, capped player in Irish history!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

hussey wrote: »
    Never realised he was the 3rd capped player in Irish history!!

Yep he played left back in that first international in 1924 :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

His last Ireland goal vs Czechs:

As cool as you like :cool:

Hope he scores today!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Xavi6 wrote: »

Probably his best performance for Ireland was the away game in Paris 4 years ago when he was outstanding.

Never a man to complain, he has played in a number of positions and has given his all in each of them. His commitment to the cause has been further emphasised in the past week with his desire to continue playing despite a fractured cheekbone.

So let's all raise our glasses and salute our very own Mr. Reliable!

Was at that game in Paris and because of that night he will always be a fondly remembered by me.

A real servant to the cause over the years and i think there is still another few games left in him.

I think a lot of players faced with a fractured cheekbone would have pulled out of the squad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,043 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

How many more consecutive competetive matches will he have to play until the record is his?

Always liked having Kilbane in the team as his workrate is second to none.

Did he not used to get stick from Everton fans for not giving as much effort for them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

his workrate is spectacular, in the game on saturday i loved the fact that he didnt go half arsed on any challenge or any 50/50 even with the fractured cheekbone! great player and a constant profressional!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

In fairness not the greatest player we have ever had but certainly noone can question commitment and dedication. Hats off to him and yes lets raise a glass.

Incidentally the wifes brother (ex bolton and ireland unders) says he is nicest guy you could ever hope to meet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

iregk wrote: »
    In fairness not the greatest player we have ever had but certainly noone can question commitment and dedication. Hats off to him and yes lets raise a glass.

Incidentally the wifes brother (ex bolton and ireland unders) says he is nicest guy you could ever hope to meet.

Yea i met him in Dundalk years ago with the Irish team and he was the best craic out of the lot of them. Stood chatting to people for ages and told us he loved the Ireland trips cause they were great craic.
    That was when Mick was in charge, i'd say it was minus craic under Brian Kerr..!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

i'm happy he's finally being played in LB for us, i've always felt that was his best position.

he was always an underrated player, i used to be fairly critical of him myself but he's nearly always proved me wrong. he has a drive and attitude that every professional footballer should aspire to.

well done Zinedine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

I could be wrong, both weren't Kilbane and Stephen Kelly the only players in the Premier League to start (possibly feature in) all of their respective club's games last season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

I used to be one of his harshest critics, mainly because I never saw him as a winger, which is where he played most of the time at the start.

I've certainly eaten my words though. Was at the game in Paris, and he was outstanding. He never lets you down. An example of hard work and loyalty which will make him one of Irelands footballing legends.

Heres to you Kev!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

yep all for raising a glass to him, he has done fantastic for Ireland over the last decade, a real professional who we are lucky to have, great drive and work rate makes up for a lot of his lack of natural ability

heres to you Kev!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Did he not used to get stick from Everton fans for not giving as much effort for them?

Nope never heard this before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

My avatar pic is of Brian McBride because, for me, he exemplified all of the qualities a professional footballer should have. Kilbane is that same type of player - someone who has maximized what he is capable of and carved out a very respectable career at the top level despite obvious technical limitations.

It shouldn't be this way of course. If every player who ever got a contract properly applied themselves off the pitch and gave 100% on it for 90mins of every game then there would be no room on a Premiership squad listing for someone like Kilbane. The reality is that they don't and so often we as fans are left scratching our heads at why certain players can't be motivated to go and give their very best playing the sport we all love. But a player like Kilbane NEVER shortchanges us. The stick he has gotten in the Irish jersey over past years has always been unfair. For he has never let us down for the want of trying.

Hopefully there will be a few more years of Kilbane in an Irish jersey to come. People like Stephen Ireland could learn a thing or two from him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Wow, 50 straight consectutive Internationals
    That’s an awesome record! I'd be interested to know how many more games he has to go to beat every other international players record. A trip to wikipaedia is called for me thinks.

Over the last few years there’s been few if any work harder and shows more dedication, top player.

I even remember his debut against Iceland, taken off at half-time afaik. Seems ages ago and even still he playing Premiership and international football. Was a legend that night in Paris too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Always liked having Kilbane in the team as his workrate is second to none.

Nah he got stick from the fans for being Everton's Dirk Kuyt for a short while. Worked tirelessly but didnt have a whole lot of end product, whereas the fans generally preferred the more talented but less consistent James McFadden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Always admired the guy.
    He's been slated so many times, and is always a scapegoat even when others have a worse game around him.
    Like already mentioned, he workrate is amazing.
    You only appreciate it by going to see a match live yourself, as his off the camera running and movement is fantastic. Has a great 'no-fear' approach, especially for jumping for any high ball.
    Would love if he scored a goal tonight and I hope the fans give him a standing ovation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Ah Kevin Kilbane and his bag of trick. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Always admired the guy.
    He's been slated so many times, and is always a scapegoat even when others have a worse game around him.
    Like already mentioned, he workrate is amazing.
    You only appreciate it by going to see a match live yourself, as his off the camera running and movement is fantastic. Has a great 'no-fear' approach, especially for jumping for any high ball.
    Would love if he scored a goal tonight and I hope the fans give him a standing ovation.

All 500 of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Well said, Xavi. Pint raised to Kevin :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Fair play to Kilbane, will always be remembered as a cult hero for his dedication and attitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Nah he got stick from the fans for being Everton's Dirk Kuyt for a short while. Worked tirelessly but didnt have a whole lot of end product, whereas the fans generally preferred the more talented but less consistent James McFadden.

Dont want to go off track here but the fans were more on McFaddens back then anyone. Most frustrating player ever.

Advertisement