Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Healthy snacks

• 10-09-2008 6:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

Just thought I'd add some healthy snack ideas, that taste nice.

Popcorn,
    Raisins,
    Nuts,
    Dried fruits-apricots, prunes etc.
    Petits Filous Yoghurt
    Babybell cheese
    Low fat crisps
    Cereal
    Complan
    Jaffa Cakes
    Jelly
    Ryvita

The list could go on!

Anyway just a few ideas..

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Nuts??? They're quite fattening you know

few more...
    Fruit & yoghurt
    Cereal bars
    Hummus
    Rice cakes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Cereal and cereal bars are full of sugar :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

xzanti wrote: »

few more...
    Fruit & yoghurt
    Cereal bars
    Hummus
    Rice cakes

Cereal bars have more calories per gram than most chocolate bars, it's just that they're much smaller. They're not healthy at all. Rice cakes have no nutritional value either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭XxlauraxX

Faith wrote: »
    Rice cakes have no nutritional value either.
    and they taste like crap

EDIT:i have never tasted crap

*quickly changes crap to nothing:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

xzanti wrote: »
    The title is "healthy", and nuts are one of the most healthy & nutritious snacks mentioned so fat. Sure, they are a calorie dense food so you have to simply watch your portion size, just get a calculator and weighing scales, all the info is on the packets.

Nuts are around 50% fat, but fat gets a bad rep, no thanks to WW who demonise it. I follow a high fat diet to keep in shape.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

I am going through a cream cracker phase at the moment..

Are they classed as healthy??(probably not with the amount of butter I have on them):eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

Quality wrote: »

Are they classed as healthy??(probably not with the amount of butter I have on them):eek:

Crackers made with whole wheat flour would be more wholesome.

Quality wrote: »

You just have to learn how to read packets and compare nutritional info. People presume crackers might be OK since they taste bland, and people equate bland=healthy, nice=bad. Which is not always the case.

Cream crackers are a fairly bad choice, I would put them in the same category as most regular biscuits, the ingredients are quite similar but regular buscuits taste nicer! that is why people presume they must be OK. And putting butter on them would make normal buscuits lower in calories.

Ryvitas would be a MUCH better choice. The sesame ones are lovely, try them. And use peanut butter

Another thing people figure is ok (due to being bland) is noodles, a single pack of your standard instant super noodles can have up to 600kcal! I have seen people thinking they are "dieting" wolfing down a full pack ALONG with a bar and fruit, sitting down to 1000kcal in one sitting easy

You have to read the BACK of the packs, marketers simply lie and twist the truth on the front packs. "low fat muffins" are usually very high in sugar, and "low sugar" snacks are usually high in fat. Then "only 4% fat" usually means the portion is huge (like milk, some drink 4kilos per day), while "only 4g fat" means the portion is tiny, so it could be a very high % of fat.

Those cereal bars are a joke, I would sooner give a kid a small bit of porridge and tell them if they eat it they can have a mini mars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Jaffa cakes?

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭wintear

Do Fig rolls qualify as a healthy snack? they are mostly Fruit.

• Advertisement

wintear wrote: »
    Do Fig rolls qualify as a healthy snack? they are mostly Fruit.

More biscuit than fruit in them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

rubadub wrote: »
    More biscuit than fruit in them!

Awww but they're so nice :(

But there's no way they could be classed as healthy!

I like to spread a slice of wasa sport with 1 tbsp of organic dark tahini and then top it with 2-3 tsps of dried pomegranate seeds.You can throw on a few chickpeas aswell if you like. And there you have a nice healthy snack! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭MJOR

Guacamole i love it.....
    sunflower seeds toasted and on salad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vincenzo1975

most salsa dips you can buy are very low in calories, its just a case of finding a good thing to dip into them. Whole grain or whole meal crackers are the best I can come up with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

If you really need something sweet but are on a low calorie/low fat diet pink and whites or curly wurlys apparently are the lesser of all other evils.

Neither can be found in New Zealand which is a huge pity and I really like them both!

watna wrote: »
    curly wurlys apparently are the lesser of all other evils.
    Curly wurlys are simply overpriced underweight regular chocolate bars, same with wispa, aero, malteasers and a few others. They are around the same calories, fat etc as any old mars or snickers per 100g. If you look some packets do not even declare the weight, they will only have calories per bar, and calories per 100g. You have to get a calculator out to realise you are being ripped off with underwieght bars.

Just get mini or snack size versions of regular bars instead. I think some people like the feel of these apparently normal size bars though, wispas are full of air, curly wurlys are full of giant holes!

Hey guys try to stay on topic please this thread is for healthy snack suggestions not processed junk food.

rubadub wrote: »
    Curly wurlys are simply overpriced underweight regular chocolate bars, same with wispa, aero, malteasers and a few others. They are around the same calories, fat etc as any old mars or snickers per 100g. If you look some packets do not even declare the weight, they will only have calories per bar, and calories per 100g. You have to get a calculator out to realise you are being ripped off with underwieght bars.

Just get mini or snack size versions of regular bars instead. I think some people like the feel of these apparently normal size bars though, wispas are full of air, curly wurlys are full of giant holes!

I'd kill someone for a curly wurly now though. Seriously, Watch out..!

A healthyish snack I've recently started eating when I get that 3.30 feeling at work is some chopped fruit with greek yoghurt. Yum!

Greek yogurt is high in saturated fat.

• Advertisement

cozmik wrote: »
    Greek yogurt is high in saturated fat.

so?

Who said I was trying to cut down on the saturated fat I take in? Perhaps it works for me as it means I actually eat some fruit (which I'm not a big fan of) rather than the usual crap people are tempted to eat when you get that slumped feeling at 3.30 (i.e. king size mars bar). Perhaps I just thought it may work for some other poster who feels the same? Perhaps some people's definition of healthy is not the same as yours or, what works for you does not work for other people who are perhaps trying to make small difference to their diet?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

cozmilk, this isn't the Nutrition & Diet forum, people don't mean "healthy" as literally here as they do in N&D. Also, leave the moderating to us, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

watna wrote: »
    so?

Who said I was trying to cut down on the saturated fat I take in? Perhaps it works for me as it means I actually eat some fruit (which I'm not a big fan of)

Fruit dipped in chocolate would probably help me more fruit than I normally do, but I'm not going to recommend that on a healthy snack thread.

In fairness (and I don't want to take the thread OT here), Cozmilk was only pointing out that Greek Yogurt is high in saturated fat, and since the title of the thread is 'healthy snacks' it's probably worth pointing out if something recommended here isn't actually that healthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

Are those cheese crackers in individual bags considered healthy? Going through a phase of eating those but i think i may be gaining weight?

If im pickish Ill have a slice of toast with low fat spead and a slice of cheese on the one half and fold it over, it really fills ya up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

Is there any nutritional info on the back of the pack? That should indicate how healthy/unhealthy they are. I'd imagine you'd have to be eating a lot of them to cause you to put on weight.

Cozmilk was only pointing out that Greek Yogurt is high in saturated fat, and since the title of the thread is 'healthy snacks' it's probably worth pointing out if something recommended here isn't actually that healthy.
    yes, I find the vast majority of people are very ignorant about food and nutritional info. They simply do not know how to evaluate if food is "good" or "bad", or simply likely to make them fat. Some would easily substitute a normal yoghurt for greek, and could even prefer it, but could be oblivious as to the nutritional info of them. Many people are probably blindly eating foods that they do not even like under the misconception that it is healthy or low in calories. One common food like that is instant noodles, I have seen it many times, people eating them and actually commenting that they are eating them to lose weight. They pack a huge amount of calories.
    Redpunto wrote: »
    Are those cheese crackers in individual bags considered healthy?
    Read the pack as said, there is no secret, all the info is there. I expect they are on a par with regular biscuits, just like regular cream crackers (which are another food mistakenly thought of as low in calories or "healthy"). People eat crackers thinking "these are bland, therefore they must be good for me, since "bad" food tastes nice". I would sooner just eat nice tasting biscuits. If you want crackers get ryvitas, the sesame ones are lovely. I spread tomato puree on them and put low fat grated cheese on them and make mini pizzas, either grill, bake or microwave them

Advertisement