Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Land Purchase - Grow Your Own

Options
  • 10-09-2008 6:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Has anybody ever considered purchasing a plot of land for growing veg/fruit etc? I'm on an allotment waiting list, so God knows when and if I may get a patch, so it occurred to me that there may be like-minded people who might consider purchasing an acre or two of farmland with a view to growing your own. I'm seeing lots of cons - finance, legal agreements, finding a suitable plot reasonably near.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

if you are waiting for an allotment i guess you are ina built up area, problem is in built up areas people with land are still seeing dollars in develeopment purchases, even if they aren't there anymore, would think you would have a hard time finding a piece properly priced, but i do like the idea

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

Is there an elderly neighbour/relative with a bigger rundown back garden nearby that you could ask to use?
    Im sure they would be delighted with the visits and company and you could sell to them that you would do all the hard workd grow veg for them too

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

Maybe a five or ten year lease would work better from a financial and legal point of view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 ilo

Hello, what area are you located in???

check irishallotments.net and let me know if you find anything of interest, otherwise i'm always interested in finding out about allotments i do not have on the website.

Thanks

Thomas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 ihanney

ilo wrote: »
    Hello, what area are you located in???

check irishallotments.net and let me know if you find anything of interest, otherwise i'm always interested in finding out about allotments i do not have on the website.

Thanks

Thomas

Great site, and especially interested to the link off to http://www.growyourown.ie as this is very much along the lines of what I was thinking.

I'm in South Dublin. I'm on the DL/Rathdown Council allotment waiting list and they have indicated that there may be allotments created in the Cherrywood area when the Luas works complete .. won't hold my breath though.

My preference is to find some like minded people to create a private allotment through land purchase or find a farmer like Karl Hennessy who will lease land for allotment use. It's got me thinking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Dilisk

ihanney: I'm also interested in renting an allotment. Like you, I'm based in Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown (Monkstown, to be precise). I don't have a car, but am prepared to walk a substantial distance.

Doing the leg-work (e.g. approaching landowners, negotiating a rate) doesn't appeal to me, but once an allotment is available for rent, I would certainly be interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭sprinklesspanky

ihanney wrote: »
    Has anybody ever considered purchasing a plot of land for growing veg/fruit etc? I'm on an allotment waiting list, so God knows when and if I may get a patch, so it occurred to me that there may be like-minded people who might consider purchasing an acre or two of farmland with a view to growing your own. I'm seeing lots of cons - finance, legal agreements, finding a suitable plot reasonably near.

How do you get on an allotment waiting list?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Dilisk

You contact your local authority. For Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown, I think you can email development888@dlrcoco888.ie (I've added some 8's to that address; remove them all to get the true address).

There is a little information here on allotments in Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown (search for "Provision of Allotments"):

http://www.dlrcoco.ie/foi/ref15.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 martyba1

I thought you might be interested in reading this web page:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055460551&referrerid=203069
    From,
    martyba1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 eddiemc5

How do you get on an allotment waiting list?

Hey guys. i heard of allotments going for rent near dunboyne. . they r big plots n great value or so it seems. think its about 200 euro. found their number 086 8752820

hope it helps.

• Advertisement
Advertisement