Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

self builders corner

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭shagman

Well worth a look, how to convert a van...

http://cheaprvliving.com/howtoconvertavan.html

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Uncle Chenzo

Just to let people know that euro / sterling rate as of today is £0.83, so if anyone has the reddies to hand on the run up to chrimbo, a little saunter over to reputable auction house in the uk, to pick up a van, should be considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 hge19

Hi everybody!!
    Could somebody please tell me what I need to do to insure a self built camper that was originally a goods van. It has no windows except the back one. Currently it is converted with beds,cooker,220V power etc..do we need to put in side windows or are there any other requirements?

thanks alot!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Call Dolmen insurance and ask their advice.
    good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

http://www1.ttcn.ne.jp/~gyo/English/index.htm

interesting link this........!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭Richie15

Hi Folks, just wondering could anyone clarify pricing etc. or at least steer me in the right direction. What I'm planning to do (not any time soon, but wanna know how I'm doing it before I start) is convert a van to a stealth camper.

Please let me know if I've missed anything, but as far as I know these are my options:

Buy a van here, stick in a bed etc. and tax it as a LGV.

Advantages: Easier to get insurance, no hassle with getting proper definition as camper, if it's parked on a road and the Guards check their database it wont scream "I'm a camper, I've someone sleeping in me!"
    Disadvantages: More expensive to buy here, more expensive to tax/insure than camper.
    Price: Purchase cost + Tax (€288 p.a.) + Insurance

Import a van from UK
    , stick in a bed etc. and tax it as a LGV.

Advantages: Cheaper to buy and same advantages as Irish van. You also get a nice drive through the UK of Englandshire. :pac:
    Disadvantages: Import cost (VRT + Boat), Hassle of importing.
    Price: Purchase cost + Boat (€200) + VRT (€125 or 13.3% of OMSP) + Tax (€288 p.a.) + Insurance

Convert an Irish van

Advantages: Cheaper tax, cheaper insurance if you can get it.
    Disadvantages: Has to meet the criteria, harder to get insurance, does scream "there's someone sleeping here!" to the guards.
    Price: Purchase cost + Conversion cost (???!) + Tax (€88 p.a.) + Insurance

Convert a UK van

Advantages: Cheaper to buy/tax and same as Irish convert.
    Disadvantages: All the disadvantages of an Irish conversion and a UK van thrown together, so it'd have to be REALLY cheap to be worth your while!
    Price: Purchase cost + Boat (€200) + VRT (€125 or 13.3% of OMSP) + Conversion cost (???!) + Tax (€288 p.a.) + Insurance

eyebrows63 wrote: »
    there,s a new law coming in that you have to do 7 hours training a year to retain your license. even though you have a 10 year license you still have to do it.you ll be issued with a cpc card and cannot drive without it.
    The Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC) is for professional bus drivers. I don't think there's an equivelent for truck drivers but if so (or even if there's plans for it) I'd say it's also only for professionals.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 fastbrano

Have a ford transit, converting it a bit at a time, anyone know anything about damp proofing and insulation? Someone recomended carpet underlay for damp proofing, that sounds a bit dodgy. Was thinking of damp proof membrane, polyethylene, except thats designed to be laid over concrete, would it work over steel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭slapper

so wat are the minimum requirments to have a van classed as a camper

slapper wrote: »
    so wat are the minimum requirments to have a van classed as a camper
    As far as I know:
    • Height behind driver's seat of 1.8 meters or more, using a fixed or pop-up roof
    • Fitted bed
    • Fitted cooker and/or toilet (not sure if you need both or if one is enough)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭slapper

Richie15 wrote: »
    As far as I know:
    • Height behind driver's seat of 1.8 meters or more, using a fixed or pop-up roof
    • Fitted bed
    thanks
    anything about a sink

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

Richie15 wrote: »
    As far as I know:
    • Fitted bed

Do you know where to find these requirements? I'm just replanning the camper van I have and want to fit as much sleeping places in as possible so wanted to leave the toilet out because I have a toilet tent.

I found it on http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/ Not sure exactly which act, presumably one of the road traffic acts. I'll look again.

Found it:
    'motor caravan' means a vehicle which is shown to the satisfaction of the Commissioners to be designed, constructed or adapted to provide temporary living accommodation which has an interior height of not less than 1.8 metres when measured in such manner as may be approved by the Commissioners and, in respect of which vehicle, such design, construction or adaptation incorporates the following permanently fitted equipment—

( a ) a sink unit,
    ( b ) cooking equipment of not less than a hob with 2 rings or such other cooking equipment as may be prescribed, and
    ( c ) any other equipment or fittings as may be prescribed

Source (Be sure also to read the disclaimer)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 fixer78

hi i was wondering if you can help me?

im thinking of buying a coach in the uk and bring it back to convert into a 8 berth camper (iv alot of kids) it will be around a 53 seater im bringing in, im looking for info on importing it, duty, road tax and insurance.

if any body can give me some info it would be very greatfull

• Registered Users Posts: 40 merc609

HI,
    Wondering if anyone could please help me in relation to finding a insurance company that wound cover me for a mercedes 609 conversion.
    Finding it impossible.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Uncle Chenzo

Get three refusals from different insurance companies - armed with them, contact the Insurance Board of Ireland (Don't know their exact name, but the Umbrella group for Motor Insurance Companies). They will then get you a quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 merc609

Thanks for your help.. Cheers

...the Insurance Board of Ireland (Don't know their exact name, but the Umbrella group for Motor Insurance Companies).
    Would that be the Irish Insurance Federation? Either that or the Motor Insurers' Bureau of Ireland but I think they just deal with claims against uninsured drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭richiemack

Any joy with this? Im going to UK on Friday to collect a 709 and cant get insurance, HELLLLLLLP!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 hge19

If I were you I'd forget about it!!! Most hardship I ever had was trying to get insurance so I just flogged the thing for small money in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 649 ✭✭✭isup

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭richiemack

MEANT TO LET YALL KNOW I GOT INSURANCE ON MY BUS WITH TRAVELLERS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 pandos

A few weeks ago I posted a question about suppliers of conversion parts.

Just to let people know, After finding prices from Irish based suppliers and or stocks being non existant I phoned O'Leary in Hull.

On Thursday Morning I ordered 2 roof lights with fans/ one big one small and a set of fridge vents.

Large box arrived this morning containing exactly what I ordered. Total £275 incl carriage to my own door. Best price in this country €400 and that would involve a wait and then collection.

any info on that supplier? quote=pandos;62607579]A few weeks ago I posted a question about suppliers of conversion parts.

Just to let people know, After finding prices from Irish based suppliers and or stocks being non existant I phoned O'Leary in Hull.

On Thursday Morning I ordered 2 roof lights with fans/ one big one small and a set of fridge vents.

Large box arrived this morning containing exactly what I ordered. Total £275 incl carriage to my own door. Best price in this country €400 and that would involve a wait and then collection.[/quote]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 pandos

pandos wrote: »

looks good, thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 CharloG

Hi Guys,

New to boards so please forgive me if in the wrong area. I have a '99 VW Caravelle Minibus and I am looking for the interior or "How to build" options to convert said bus into a camper. Jus one thing, I must maintain 3 seats in the rear for the rugrats so if anybody has any ideas it would be much apopreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 joncollier

2 solutions keep your existing seats and change the mounting brackets to removable type so you can take them out. Or swap them for a 3 seater RIB seat bed expensive but safe, you can see them here http://greendogcampers.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Will be starting my build shortly on my own van.

I've located myself a 96 Transit Hi Cube LWB and will be converting it. I intend to document and post here as I go on this so will start a new thread and keep adding to it (provided thats ok Pesant)

Will be posting links on where I'm gettin stuff and asking others for advice and so on. Looking forward to gettin my hands dirty now....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

(provided thats ok Pesant)

'course it is ...

Advertisement