Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

self builders corner

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

peasant wrote: »
    'course it is ...

Thanks Pesant

PS, is your wagon a van conversion or a coachbuilt?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Recently converted vwlt35 to camper but seems to be impossible to find out where to have it re-classified. Revenue say its the NCT who do it and the NCT say its not their baby. Its not an imported van we just want to get it inspected and classified as a camper. Can anybody save me from spending my life being passed from pillar to post please?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 48 merc camper

Bring it to your local motor tax office. They will inspect it to see if it meets campervan criteria. They should just change the log book for you. I have heard of people being charged VRT on the conversion. I was not charged tyhis and i know several others who were not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Bring it to your local motor tax office. They will inspect it to see if it meets campervan criteria. They should just change the log book for you. I have heard of people being charged VRT on the conversion. I was not charged tyhis and i know several others who were not.

I am *very* interested in this. Which office did you go to? Do you know which office the others went to? Was yours already a private vehicle as vrt already paid is offset against the evaluated vrt.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 merc camper

The van was an irish panel van, I took it to clondalkin tax ofice the others went to naas. There was no mention of VRT they just changed the log book and taxed it as a camper. It was all very simple

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

After being given the runaround finally discovered revenue are who reclassify irish vehicle conversions.

Ours is an Irish van converted. (no vrt involved) Revenue have now inspected it. They are near Dublin airport on the old road. They checked chassis no on the vehicle and looked inside, checked weight etc. and gave a letter for the motor tax office. The letter states the vehicle makes Category C motor caravan requirements and that they have inspected the vehicle. So hopefully we can now tax it as a camper once we produce the letter to the motor reg office. :)

It appears that the NCT now do the test for an imported vehicle from 1st Sept this year as far as I know.

Will be finally kicking off my conversion in the next few weeks.

Question, what thickness of ply do people use for building the units, 6mm? or thicker / thinner?

Any advise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Torinfleming

maringo wrote: »
    Recently converted vwlt35 to camper but seems to be impossible to find out where to have it re-classified. Revenue say its the NCT who do it and the NCT say its not their baby. Its not an imported van we just want to get it inspected and classified as a camper. Can anybody save me from spending my life being passed from pillar to post please?:confused:

HI Maringo, I am trying to get hold of a VW lt 35 also to convert at the mo. where did you get yours at? What was the build process like? Heard you can download a form from the revenue site that you fill in and bring to revenue just changing the use of the vehicle! Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Rapidmike

Hi fingers
    IMG_0626.JPG
    I built the kitchen out of a combo of 6 mill for the back
    and 12 ml for the rest .. Only problem was most camper parts
    are sized for 15ml but anything can be made fit
    IMG_0633.JPG
    IMG_0661.JPG
    had a previous kitchen unit framed like caravan furniture out of 3ml
    to make it light for removing ... Lasted well but never felt as good
    mike
    oops can't post pics??

Rapidmike wrote: »
    Hi fingers
    IMG_0626.JPG
    I built the kitchen out of a combo of 6 mill for the back
    and 12 ml for the rest .. Only problem was most camper parts
    are sized for 15ml but anything can be made fit
    IMG_0633.JPG
    IMG_0661.JPG
    had a previous kitchen unit framed like caravan furniture out of 3ml
    to make it light for removing ... Lasted well but never felt as good
    mike
    oops can't post pics??

You can upload them to wthax.org or you can attach them to the post (Scroll down)

• Advertisement
Advertisement