Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Joint Problems in Husky

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 327 ✭✭Beth

Lenni wrote: »
    It was our first time doing this and we didnt really no that this sort of thing goes on. Whatever happens here, I will never get a dog again. I have just learned so many bad things from this. I love my pup and pls god he is ok and we get to keep him in our family but if not, he will be the last pup I get. Just feel sorry for my child too, she will b so upset.
    If you are in the position to get a pup again, please don't let this put you off. There are things you can do to prevent being caught by someone that isnt reputable. I've recently wrote an article about buying a puppy because its so widespread people being caught out. You are not the only one, you're not the first and you wont be the last, but dogs are fantastic companions and a great addition to the family so taking some necessary steps at the start can bring a wonderful friend to your life. Yes, you know better now so think of it as a lesson learned.

You wouldnt have to buy a puppy again, you could also go to a shelter, rescue etc and find a dog there. The rescues will do all they can to find the right dog for you - much like what a reputable breeder will do to try find the right pup in the litter for you.

Please don't let it put you off ever having a dog again, whether this puppy stays with your or goes to live elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

How heartbreaking!

You might want to discuss the insurance with your vet and make sure that they will be comfortable with not mentioning that they saw this before now. If you don't disclose this and the vet sends it through on their notes - which now have to be extrememly in-depth - you could find that they won't cover you on other stuff if you try to claim even though you have been paying premiums.

Keeping fingers crossed that this is something else wrong with the pup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

Actually, one other thought.

Whatever this turns out to be, it would be great if you could make a point of advertising your experiences as much as possible wherever you can. The more people that get the message that buying a dog is a serious endeavor that needs time invested in research etc. This is the sort of thing that could damage the puppy farmers pockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 greystoke

i have a 3 year old husky, and from what i have read it doesnt look like it could be a joint problem as the puppy is so young.
    We got our fella from a breader in kilkenny, saw the parents and it was the breeder that kinda interviewed us to make sure we knew what we were getting into before she would sell.

i hope everything goes well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Lenni

Well see that is the thing, the breeder kept ringing us before hand and asking questions like, what is your house like, how many children in the house, have u a back garden, what size is it... But then a lot of things he told us ended up being cr*p...

• Advertisement

[IMG]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/lg08658/Temporary%20Internet%20Files/OLKD9/03092008844.jpg[/IMG]

Greystone thats the proper way to do it alright! fair play to your dogs breeder!

Lenni, sounds like the breeder did try to do a lot of things right. Was there a lot of other things the breeder told ye that wasnt correct? Like what?

it could be an inexperienced breeder trying to do things right too, but just not knowing.

Deffo ring the breeder and see what they have to say about the xrays later on when you have the results. For the cost of a phone call, it might be a valuable lesson to them as well because they might be still learning.

Yes, I always try to see the postive side.....

but trust your judgement in the end.

[Edit:] Oh my god that pup is just a complete heartbreaker!!! gorgeous

He told us that he got the pup wormed and ears checked and also his 1st injections. I said well we wont b bringing him out till he has all injections, he then said ah no dont mind that, the 1st one is the most important. We waited anyway, but we went to the vet and they said all he had given was a temp injection, then last nite we took him to a different vets for his last set of injections and the vet said that the injections the breeder gave him were useless, a waste of time... That to me was a major error, the breeder tellin us we could bring him out when infact the injections he got were useless...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭Discostuy

Ah what a beaut of a dog...no wonder you'd find it hard to give him back.

I would echo what Beth said...try not let this put you off dogs in the future.
    Not everyone is aware just how bad the puppy issue is in this country. I certainly didnt realise how bad it was when i got my two. Its only since, that from spending time on here and other dog forums you realise these things.
    Luckily the breeder i got mine off interviewed me and im still in contact with him, as he is interested in seeing how they are getting on. He is one of the few good ones.

The widespread image in this country is that Ireland is an animal loving country...but its far from that.

Roll on Friday...hopefully all ends well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭~Thalia~

[IMG]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/lg08658/Temporary%20Internet%20Files/OLKD9/03092008844.jpg[/IMG]

WOW - He's beautiful, I hope he gets on ok with the vet on Friday, please keep us updated on how he gets on.

What made you choose a husky? Although beautiful, they are very high maintenance exercise wise as adults, I hope you have a good pair of walking boots! :p:D

• Advertisement

Thats a shame about the injections.
    Did you get his vaccination card off the breeder? That should list what vaccination it got (the label comes off the bottle and is stuck to the card), when and most of the time, it will have noted on it when the next one is due.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 greystoke

loki.jpg

Gorgeous! I'd love one, but i've enough on my hands!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

was it his hip that was bigger or was it the knee (hind leg). Sorry just jumping in here. He may have damaged his cruciate ligament in his knee.

If not, there are treatments for hip-disp. from medication if its not too sever to hip replacement ... yes they do these now, although you may have to go to the Vet college to do this. Its done in the UK.

It is the joint in his hip. It doesn't sound like hip dis as he said it is bigger that the joint in his other leg. We'll hopefully see tomorrow. We got the vacination card off him with the stickers on it, the name of them was correct its just that they were only temp.

My BF rang the breeder 5 times yesterday and got no answer. I then text him but still no reply. My bf is gonna ring again this morn, if no ans then he will text him and say who it is, then if no contact he is ringing the KC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Can i ask where did you find the breeder from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭whitser

It is the joint in his hip. It doesn't sound like hip dis as he said it is bigger that the joint in his other leg. We'll hopefully see tomorrow. We got the vacination card off him with the stickers on it, the name of them was correct its just that they were only temp.

My BF rang the breeder 5 times yesterday and got no answer. I then text him but still no reply. My bf is gonna ring again this morn, if no ans then he will text him and say who it is, then if no contact he is ringing the KC.
    i dont think you'll get much joy out of that breeder,all you have is a mobile number,it'd be cheaper to get a new number then take that pup back and give you your 700 quid back. its not your fault that this has happened. i blame the breeder entirley. im sure when you met him he gave you a load of waffle about well bred,ikc reg, good parents etc.......unfortunately all he was really after was your euros. these people only interest is money, its why they breed the pups in the first place. hopefully your pup will be fine but if not dont beat yourself up over it. people get conned by these scumbags every week. i hear of people all the time handing over big money only to get a pup thats riddled with health problems.
    kc wont be much help either im afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭~Thalia~

Do you have an address for the breeder? Is he/ she listed as a breeder on the IKC website?
    I'm afaird if all you have is a mobile number I'd say you are out of luck somehow.

How is the little fella today?

Thanks Whitestar.

he is grand, there is never a bother on him, he is always in gr8 form and no bother with the leg/hip. The breeder is still not answering. How do you check the reg breeders on the IKC site. I have a few numbers to try, there is another breeder in galway i am gonna ring. Then I have a number for a lady in Kilkenny, she owns The All Ireland Siberian Husky club. I will get him even if i have to drive down to Galway and hunt for him!!! He is really p1ssin me off now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Unless the breeder is registered with the IKC they wont have any details of him, do you have a full name and address for him?
    I think Josie Foley is the contact for the Hsuky Club in Kilkenny.

• Advertisement

Hey all,

Well I decided to try calling the breader and I got tru. He said that there is no history of hip issues with the parents. I basically asked has the mother got a history of it and he said no and neither does the father, as he has both of them there with him. He said he hasnt heard of any of the other pups having it either. Just hav to wait and see now how we get on tomorrow.

Fingers crossed!!!

Hey All,

Just to give you an update. We didnt get on too well on Friday, to be honest it couldnt have gone worse. Basically the only way to put it is that his elbow is coming apart. Some of the bone has already disolved, some of it is just floating, it is in a terrible way. The vet wanted to put him down straight away. He showed us a picture in a book of the same situation but said that Ziggy's is a lot worse. The vet rang the vet college and spoke to the head in there, she said that yes it is a very bad case but give the pup a chance. She said put him in a splint for 4 weeks, then bring him back and xray again, if its worst, put him down there and then, if its not worse, repeat again in another 4 weeks. If its still not worse then when he is 6 to 7 months, operate... They said as he is so young, if they operate, he will live a normal life after that. He then rang the top vet surgeon in Ireland, and he said he doesnt no what he would do... So he is in a splint now, not in any pain at all but yet has taken to crying a lot, so he is obviously miserable... We were very upset over the news and in shock so I rang the vet the next day when my head was clearer, I said to him does he honestly think that the pup has a chance, cause if he doesnt I would rather see him go now than live his last 4 weeks with no exercise and in a confinded space. He is only able to go out the back if he has to go to the toilet, otherwise has to stay in doors, if he is out the back he has to b on a lead... Just seems like cruelty to me. Anyway, the vet said yes, after speeking to the woman in the college, I think he MIGHT hav a chance (I really dont think he does) so we will give it the 4 weeks and see what happens then.
    As for the breeder, once again we cannot contact him. I text and all and got no reply. I am giving him one week, if nothing then I am blackening his name... It is a congenital disorder so the breeder had to have known about it....

Its all heartbreaking and everytime we look at him it makes u feel sh1t and sad. Say a prayer!

:mad::mad::mad::mad: fcuking puppy peddlers. out-look is not good i think. wether the pups lives or not i'd get my money back off that scumbag, put it towards your vet bill,which will be quite high. sorry for your trouble, but sounds like pup would be better off put down, a live in pain is no life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,637 ✭✭✭✭fits

Are you sure you're going to be able to look after this pup while he goes through this?

Well the only thing is that they said there will b no pain, not for the moment anyway... I just think he is better off going now. I am demanding my money back, only for the pure fact that I need it to go towards vet fees.
    As for looking after him, at the moment he is basically to b locked up for his own sake... I am not doing it as much as I am meant to b regarding locking him up because that is just cruelty, and if he needs surgery I will take time off, I cant see it coming to that though, I think the poor thing only has 4 weeks left with us

make sure you get a full and detailed vet report and bill and bring it down to the breeder and demand your money back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,637 ✭✭✭✭fits

I had to nurse my dog recovering from a broken leg once (so a lot less complicated). He needed crating and taking out for short walks 6-8 times a day. I could do it as I worked from home at the time, but otherwise it would have been very difficult to manage.

This is a much more complicated issue, and a much longer road. Just make sure you realise what you're getting into.

The way it stands at the moment we might not even get that far with him but if we do I will certainly be doing my best for him. It is an option for us to get him into the vet hospital when he is mending. A lot of money I no but as I said I will just have to get him tru the next 4 weeks b4 we can decide what to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭Discostuy

God Lenni thats awful, really sorry to hear your news. I dont think it could be any worse :mad:

Is there a way to take legal action against the breeder. I cant believe someone could be that heartless.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

wishing you and your puppy all the best, and big hugs. Perhaps you could post the name of the condition cos there is so many out there that it might help someone else.

Advertisement