Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UL email portal

Options
  • 10-09-2008 8:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

hey, im in first year and ive been trying to access my UL email from my apartment. i can surf to the site fine, but no matter what combination of username or password i give i cant log in.

does anyone know the default username and password is? i think its studentidno: DoB. im thinking ill have to go to the library and check my mail there?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

https://exchstudent1.ul.ie/exchange

Username: ul\<idnumber>
    Password: <whatever_your_password_is>

According to ninty9er your default password is in the form of DDXXXYYYY:

DD = Day you were born e.g. 09
    XXX = Month e.g. Jan, Feb etc. your password is case sensitive so the capital letter at the start of the month is important.
    YYYY = Year e.g. 1985

So your password should end up looking something like 14Feb1985 for example. If you've already used a computer on campus however you should have been asked to change your password so if you have changed it you shouldn't be using the default password any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭toushea

Have you loged in to the system yet ?? if you havent logged in on a campus pc your email account wont have been activated yet . Instructions are in a green ITD handbook .theres loads floating around must have seen 40 in the Venus lab on Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭shabouwcaw

If you've already used a computer on campus however you should have been asked to change your password so if you have it you shouldn't be using the default password any more.

thank you, thats what i needed. i didnt know the password for login and email were linked. tried every possible way of writing my date of birth and it wouldnt work. its all set up now though. forwarding away to gmail so i get more than 10mb of storage. hehehe

shabouwcaw wrote: »
    i didnt know the password for login and email were linked.

They are, it's working off an Active Directory system which does authentication for a lot of the things in college that you need usernames and passwords for. So if you change the password you use to login to computers in college your email password will automagically change too. The joys of single sign on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

rmacm wrote: »
    They are, it's working off an Active Directory system which does authentication for a lot of the things in college that you need usernames and passwords for. So if you change the password you use to login to computers in college your email password will automagically change too. The joys of single sign on.

Student Records is not yet on this system so the si.ul.ie site will still have a 4 digit pin unless you change it.

• Advertisement

ninty9er wrote: »
    Student Records is not yet on this system so the si.ul.ie site will still have a 4 digit pin unless you change it.

Aye I still have the 4 digit pin to access it. I thought all new students had access to it through their UL domain username and password although I can't remember where I heard that and I may be just imagining things (it wouldn't be the first time).

rmacm wrote: »
    Aye I still have the 4 digit pin to access it. I thought all new students had access to it through their UL domain username and password although I can't remember where I heard that and I may be just imagining things (it wouldn't be the first time).

I changed mine to a password, but I assisted a young padawan in registering the other day...confusing as hell even for me and he'd never even logged on to a pc yet:eek:. He used a 4 digit pin and had fierce trouble thinking of an 8 digit complex password:pac:. He even broke into a sweat just thinking about it....literally!

ninty9er wrote: »
    I changed mine to a password, but I assisted a young padawan in registering the other day...confusing as hell even for me and he'd never even logged on to a pc yet:eek:. He used a 4 digit pin and had fierce trouble thinking of an 8 digit complex password:pac:. He even broke into a sweat just thinking about it....literally!

Lol the poor bugger, just wait till he ends up working for a company where you have to change your password every 90 days and you can't reuse the last 10 passwords that you've had or something similar. And he'll probably end up needing multiple passwords too.......oh I suppose I should have pity on people like that then again if I were a Sys Admin I'd probably just change their passwords randomly to annoy them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭digiking

Here Here Now. Some of those group policys set by default from server 2003 are just plain annoying, Can't use your previous 10 passwords...WTF

I was working for a company last summer and they used red as their password for logging on - literally everyone had that password Oh and they were allowed change it they just didn't know how.

I love my alpha-numeric passwords

digiking wrote: »
    Here Here Now. Some of those group policys set by default from server 2003 are just plain annoying, Can't use your previous 10 passwords...WTF

^^^ a small bit ridicilious I'll agree, although it does force people to have some measure of a new password every few months (even if it is just adding an extra character or changing a single character) thus preventing potentially compromised old passwords being used to gain access to peoples accouts.
    digiking wrote: »
    I was working for a company last summer and they used red as their password for logging on - literally everyone had that password Oh and they were allowed change it they just didn't know how.

I love my alpha-numeric passwords

While my example of a password policy above may be a slight bit OTT, what you've just mentioned there is just plain fscking stupidity on the part of that company.....the mind boggles at times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

can only seem to access my email when I go to https://exchstudent1.ul.ie/exchange
    when im on one of the UL computers I click on outlook express on the desktop and it brings me into configuring internet settings and pop3 and the likes...

1huge1 wrote: »
    can only seem to access my email when I go to https://exchstudent1.ul.ie/exchange
    when im on one of the UL computers I click on outlook express on the desktop and it brings me into configuring internet settings and pop3 and the likes...

There's a linky on ul.ie>current students>computing/IT or some such that explains how to configure on network computers.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

On orientation day you should have gotten an ITD Information Technology Student Support booklet that explains how to handle those Outlook questions (if we are thinking of the same thing).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

oh ya the green booklet, I have it. thanks

You shouldn't be using Outlook Express either hideous and stupid thing that it is. You should be using Outlook and as far as I know that's what ITD support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭maryjm

shabouwcaw wrote: »
    its all set up now though. forwarding away to gmail so i get more than 10mb of storage. hehehe

How did you set that up to forward to your gmail? I want to set it up too! I tried to set it up via the thing in gmail but i dont know the POP server? and I couldn't find anything in the UL account to forward directly on to other addresses!

Thanks a mill

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭shabouwcaw

http://193.1.101.186/pdf/52110306.pdf

there you go. step by step tutorial on how to forward email to another account. its useful if you get sent lots of powerpoints.. ive been using gmail as a massive cloud storage folder for anything i get sent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭maryjm

Excellent! thanks a million! Ill do that once I'm on a computer on campus!

Advertisement