Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancel the gateway project?

Options
  • 10-09-2008 9:19am
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭

This cropped up in the parking thread but I thought we might as well not go off topic there.... Given the current economic climate, do people think that the gateway project should be put on hold/abandoned? It will add no real value to this institution as a whole and is likely to suck funds from both investment in academic and other facilities and also from being able to pay the wage bill.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

In short: yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Redrover1999

There will always be a reason not to do the gateway project, or any other kind of ambitious project.

Did you see the original plans for Earlsfort Terrace? The current Earlsfort Terrace is a result of World War I cutbacks.

Or the magnificent proposal for the Catholic University?

I think they should bite the bullet and do it...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

They should build it. They have the money from selling their various land banks around the city. The money would just go to waste if they did'nt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

I think it's a nice idea, but it's just a tad unnecessary. They'd be better off renovating the current buildings.
    They should build it. They have the money from selling their various land banks around the city. The money would just go to waste if they did'nt.

They could give me the money?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭bnt

What does the "current economic climate" have to do with this? According to the project website, they won't select a commercial partner until early 2009, and only then will they start the planning process. I'll be surprised to see any ground broken before mid-2010. :rolleyes:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Advertisement

bnt wrote: »
    What does the "current economic climate" have to do with this? According to the project website, they won't select a commercial partner until early 2009, and only then will they start the planning process. I'll be surprised to see any ground broken before mid-2010. :rolleyes:
    Are planning application signs not already up outside the N11 entrance? Could be for something else but I'm pretty sure it's the Gateway. [EDIT: Just checked the website - obviously not. Must check to see what those are.]

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if the "current economic climate" continues into 2009 and 2010. All the projections seem to be that it will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

We shouldn't bother with the pool. The NAC is only the other side of Dublin; should the State not build in Cork or Galway where a 50m pool might be more appreciated?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

I think it's a huge waste of money - there are much better things that the cash could be spent on; Llke filling the positions that have been left vacant due to the current recruitment freeze, or trying to pay off some of the €15m debt that UCD now owes, etc., etc., etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

convert wrote: »
    I think it's a huge waste of money - there are much better things that the cash could be spent on; Llke filling the positions that have been left vacant due to the current recruitment freeze, or trying to pay off some of the €15m debt that UCD now owes, etc., etc., etc.
    The money allocated for 'Gateway' is capital expenditure - capital and current expenditure are not the same. While I don't agree with the plan in totality, there is a need for increased, on-campus, student accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

I agree with you on the need for more on campus accommodation, but surely it would be better built without all the 'extras' under the Gateway Project?

• Advertisement

We shouldn't bother with the pool. The NAC is only the other side of Dublin; should the State not build in Cork or Galway where a 50m pool might be more appreciated?
    We, the students of UCD, are paying for the pool. Why exactly would it be built in Cork or Galway? Furthermore, what does the pool have to do with the Gateway development and what do the State or the NAC have to do with any of this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

convert wrote: »
    I agree with you on the need for more on campus accommodation, but surely it would be better built without all the 'extras' under the Gateway Project?
    That's why I said I did not agree with 'Gateway' in its totality. What I (and you) define as extras, others I have spoken to define them as essentials; e.g. the 'conference hotel and aparthotel' and 'Arthouse cinema'. I'm also interested as to whether the 'office space', as defined on the gateway page, is for UCD or for rental to outside enterprises.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

UCD_Econ wrote: »
    That's why I said I did not agree with 'Gateway' in its totality. What I (and you) define as extras, others I have spoken to define them as essentials; e.g. the 'conference hotel and aparthotel' and 'Arthouse cinema'. I'm also interested as to whether the 'office space', as defined on the gateway page, is for UCD or for rental to outside enterprises.

Essentials for any university:

Students: check
    Academic Faculties: check
    Campus Accomodation: check
    Arthouse Cinema: ....?

Some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

I have been looking for an Arthouse Cinema alright. I mean, I've a beret and am doing a humanities degree, and I need to prove how much better I am than all those kids doing science or business.*

Most if not all of this statement is false. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I have been looking for an Arthouse Cinema alright. I mean, I've a beret and am doing a humanities degree, and I need to prove how much better I am than all those kids doing science or business.*

Most if not all of this statement is false. :pac:

Good thing you didn't mention the Engineering or Architecture students: by the time building starts, some of us could be helping to build the thing, so you really don't want to tick us off... ;)

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Well I do commerce. So don't worry. :pac:

Advertisement